Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Paper. AUS was one of the early adopters of mobile BPs and the technology wasn't as reliable back then. I got stuck behind plenty of people who couldn't get their phones to scan. I vowed never to be that guy. I completely understand that the technology is much improved and mobile BPs work just as well as paper. But old habits die hard. I started traveling in the days of paper tickets. I still obsessively check my BP every time I change locations, like park the car or leave the lounge. My mammal brain knows I have a copy of the BP on my phone, but my lizard brain keeps saying Check. Your. Ticket.
Totally +1
FWIW people still don't seem to get their phones to work I see someone getting stuck at the front of the line almost every flight because the screen is too dark, or they don't have it loaded, or whatever problem has happened with their new tech phone. Also typically at check in (I usually have luggage) they jam a paper ticket at me so great I use it.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:03 pm

The comments on this thread remind me -- what's the purpose of the TSA guy scribbling on the paper boarding pass when they can't scribble on the iPhone boarding pass?!

I usually print out two boarding passes -- one for the TSA guy to scribble to his heart's content, and the other that I use for actual boarding at the gate. Have never had a GA say to me "but TSA didn't mark up this boarding pass!"
Phil Level likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia

Belt & suspenders approach here. Same reasons mentioned by many of the above posters who favour paper boarding passes including not having to deal with quickly being able to securely store my phone in my bag going through security or the boarding process (yeah, I know...) when I can quickly stick my paper BP in a pocket, the rare systems failures (whether airport, airline or my phone), for use at UC upon arrival when my BP may have already disappeared from my phone in the instances when I’ve forgotten to screenshot it, and the bold 1K printed on the paper BP for FAs during BoB when I’m in the back (more applicable before they all had the handhelds that showed them who their GS and 1Ks are).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: none
Neither one.

Whenever I fly the guy I'm handcuffed to takes care of all of this.
In2ishn and BBSHOPSINGER like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Electronic whenever possible. So much easier to same day change, or change seats, or get battlefield upgrades..... really is convenient.

Scanning problems are non existent these days - having the United app turn the brightness up for the BP display really helps.

The paper ones just annoy me. More crap to carry around.
Kannai and chemengin like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold
Paper for international travel and electronic for domestic...
In2ishn and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I'm #TeamMobileBoardingPass . I'm amazed at the number of people on here who worry about batteries dying. Why wouldn't you always have a battery pack on you?

And has been pointed out, screen shots of mobile boarding passes take care of most of the other potential crises folx seem worried about.

Finally, when I'm checking bags, I but the bag tags in ... (wait for it) ... my wallet. I guess I just love old school technology like wallets.
In2ishn and chemengin like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Despite all of the tech advances with the airlines, I still stop to get paper BPs issued for every trip (counter only, not the crappy thermal paper from the kiosks). It’s a nice memento of the trip and I save the BP even after the flight is over.

I also get mobile BPs which I store in PassBook, though I tend to only save the BPs from important flights (inaugural’s, new airline, etc).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:52 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kannai
I'm #TeamMobileBoardingPass . I'm amazed at the number of people on here who worry about batteries dying. Why wouldn't you always have a battery pack on you?

And has been pointed out, screen shots of mobile boarding passes take care of most of the other potential crises folx seem worried about.

Finally, when I'm checking bags, I but the bag tags in ... (wait for it) ... my wallet. I guess I just love old school technology like wallets.
Yes! I don't remember the last time I've been without battery.
Kannai and chemengin like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Paper is dying. Good thing you don't use Ryanair. If you want them to print you a paper BP at the airport it's 15 euros. If you also want to check in at the airport, it's 45 euros.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2019 at 1:34 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
Paper is dying.
I believe that to be an untrue statement.
iluv2fly, garykung and gmt4 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
So ... I am wondering ... when do you think boarding will have a biometric option?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
So ... I am wondering ... when do you think boarding will have a biometric option?
When they figure out how to tear off a piece of your face and record it later because the scanner isn't working
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Already happen happening, a number of biometric options are being tested by various airlines at various airports.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
paper when i can, electronic when i'm in a rush. and i'll own up to it, the only reason i get paper is because i just enjoy having a paper ticket. in 2019, i'm not worried about my phone dying, or it not being read. i simply like it. just reminds me of an earlier time of flying is all.

hell, if they had that waxy-style paper ticket from the 80's and 90's that carbon copies it a bunch of times, i'd definitely be all over that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.