Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by fivevsone
It's easier to show off the large GLOBAL SERVICES text on a paper ticket.

Man, that global services rubber stamp I brought off eBay is really paying dividends.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
In the early-ish day of mobile boarding passes, I had one that wouldn't read at security (think it got some sort of "invalid signature" error or something.) MCO of all places when the lines were very long. Had to go back to the counter, get a paper ticket, and back to security. Came very close to missing my flight.

So now, still years alter, If I check in from home with a printer handy, I'll print the boarding pass, so I have both. I don't go out of my way to print if I'm traveling and wouldn't go to a kiosk just for one

I do find the paper pass slightly easier to deal with as well. At a fast moving pre-check TSA line, I already have my phone(s) in my bag ready to go through scanner, and can just hand over the paper and stick it in my pocket and be ready to go through baggage x-ray and medal detector. Also, at the gate, with my carry on in one hand and my occasional (non-alcoholic) beverage in the other it's far easier to deal with paper than the phone. Most agents still take the paper from you to scan and hand it back, compared to the complete DIY with the phone. Not sure why, the paper is just as easy to scan than the phone, but they seem to like it that way. Same thing in the lounge.

I have gotten more comfortable using the smart watch for a boarding pass as well - particularly at TSA when the phones are already in the bag. If the scanner is in an accessible place, it's easy, but one in a while the wrist twist is awkward.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:36 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The gate agent can print your boarding pass… you know.

Hell, I've even *checked in* for a flight at the gate, nevermind just printing a BP. (That one tends to confuse the GAs)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Paper. Most of my travel is international and 2-3 legs at a time. The app is buggy with the third boarding pass and I don't want to have to fiddle with it indefinitely to get it to display. Plus I find it more convenient to stow my phones before arriving at the TSA counter and the TSA agents handle paper BPs faster than electronic ones.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
app. paper is just a waste.

Just MHO,

AW
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:14 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I always check in on the app, and as soon as I get my mobile BPs, I save a screen shot of them. If my phone fails, my iPad is always in-hand as well, and can bring up my pictures on that if necessary.

Exception: Traveling with my family of 4. Always print in that case. Tried boarding everyone one with 4 mobile BPs, but was such a PITA, security wasn't much better. So much easier to print at home or at the airport for those cases.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Always paper. I don't like having to handle my phone when boarding - much easier with a piece of paper. Also, I usually check baggage, so I'm there anyway. When I don't check baggage, I print at home. Even before my screen cracked, it was difficult to get my phone version to work, and the one time I was really depending on it, it wouldn't come up and I had to go back and get a paper boarding pass anyway.

Now my phone's screen is cracked, and the boarding pass wouldn't scan even if I wanted to use it.
LIH likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I always OLCI with a mobile pass and get a paper BP when checking bags. Perfect spot to place the bag tags (though I know the app also stores them).

It is a waste in theory, but just easier for me with TSA/UC to hand over paper than scan my phone.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 am

I always check in online and get a mobile boarding pass added to my Apple Wallet.

But once I'm through security I always go and get a real paper boarding pass from an agent, either in the United Club, or at the gate. This is for a few reasons:

1) Paper boarding passes don't require a password to unlock.
2)Paper boarding passes have really great battery life. (i.e. they never run out of batteries...because they are paper.)
3)Paper boarding passes are almost always the proper brightness to scan quickly
4)I'm a geek and love looking at paper boarding passes, filing them, etc.
5)The international requirements as others have stated.

Honestly, for me it is mostly about speed. And in 9 out of 10 cases, paper is always faster than mobile boarding pass on a phone/tablet/Apple Watch. I get super annoyed anytime I get behind someone who gets to the gate, then fumbles with their phone, oops wrong password, now the display isn't bright enough, oh my battery just died, etc.

BTW...it's the same thing for the Hilton Mobile Key to the Hilton App. I use it at times if I'm arriving late and wanting to go right to my room. But it is 5x slower than a regular key. Open up the App, which takes 30 seconds to load. Mobile key doesn't "See" the door. Press unlock, wait 5 seconds. etc. A regular key takes 1 second.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I always check in on the app.

1) IF i'm checking luggage i'll print a boarding pass too - easy to then attach the bag tags to the boarding pass
2) If not - depends on the type of travel - if international I usually print - put with passport - makes filing paperwork stuff easier especially if im not enabling phone at destination
3) If I'm taking lots of stops and phone usage might result in phone dying - sometimes i do just so I don't have to rely on in-flight charging of device

Otherwise - mobile BP
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Backup on Phone but print out paper when I get to airport. That way I don't need to give my phone (or lean over with the Apple Watch) to the folks at the Centurion Lounge or when I'm using Priority Pass. Of course, this is because I'm based out of San Francisco.

Last edited by DiscHandler; Mar 25, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I do OLCI and either print at home/hotel or pick a paper BP at the airport ... the reason is that I like to stash my phone in my backpack before I get into the security line.

For a long time there were also problems with the phone's screen going blank or not being bright enough. Those issues were fixed a year or two ago, but I still find that paper is slightly more reliable in the gate scanners.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Analog is less subject to failure than digital in most things.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Call me DYKWIA if you want.

I have become more a paper BP person than Mobile, although I try to get both.

Once I was downgraded due to UA error (upgraded through CPU). Because I had all paper BPs for both upgraded/downgraded seats, it was so easy to me to get downgrade compensation.

Also - because 1K can now preboard rather the the Group 1 on BP, like GS, I need show that bolded printing to bypass the line.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Paper. AUS was one of the early adopters of mobile BPs and the technology wasn't as reliable back then. I got stuck behind plenty of people who couldn't get their phones to scan. I vowed never to be that guy. I completely understand that the technology is much improved and mobile BPs work just as well as paper. But old habits die hard. I started traveling in the days of paper tickets. I still obsessively check my BP every time I change locations, like park the car or leave the lounge. My mammal brain knows I have a copy of the BP on my phone, but my lizard brain keeps saying Check. Your. Ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.