Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:25 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by helvetic
Unless I need to have my passport checked in person, I'd much rather save the time finding a check-in counter or fiddling with some stupid kiosk.
I generally try and both check-in on my phone and then pick up a paper BP when I get to the airport. I guess I’m just old fashioned that way.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

I generally try and both check-in on my phone and then pick up a paper BP when I get to the airport. I guess I’m just old fashioned that way.
Exactly. There have been a number of times I've needed to "prove" I was on the flight weeks after the trip (usually trying to get miles credited). Having the paper copy of the boarding pass makes the 'proving' part pretty straightforward.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Exactly. There have been a number of times I've needed to "prove" I was on the flight weeks after the trip (usually trying to get miles credited). Having the paper copy of the boarding pass makes the 'proving' part pretty straightforward.
FWIW, for this 'protection' I -always- check in at ua.com (or via the app) and choose the option to have boarding passes emailed to me -- I never* actually print the BP at home but keep the email with the PDF boarding pass attachment in my inbox until I'm sure the flight(s) have credited -- and then I move it to an archive. Of course, this doesn't always cover highly fluid situations, like scrambling IROPS but it's a nice safety blanket.

(Personally, I'm a fan of "real" boarding passes, preferably the agent-printed ones on proper card stock, at at least grab a kiosk-printed one while I'm checking my bags anyway)

*- Some exceptions may apply; subject to change without notice. Valid at participating airports only.
FTLexMUC and chrisl137 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Both

Mobile-because it’s more handy than a piece of paper

Paper-if hardware (mine, airline TSA) fails, I have a backup of a paper BP and I always have two copies of a paper BP as if I ever have to surrender it (upgrade, irrops, VDB, etc) I want proof of my original flight “just in case” (and for an upgrade, VDB or moved to another flight due to irrops, I will as the agent to print two copies of my new boarding pass(es))
cawhite likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It is not a black and white or yes and no question.

For simple domestic travel, the need for paper boarding pass is minimum.

For international travel across multiple carriers and have visa requirements, paper boarding passes always win. There are places where paper boarding passes need to be stamped for immigration entries and security checks.
m0nk3y, prometa and greytop13 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Paper. I don't want to drop my phone by accident or hand it to someone when it doesn't scan correctly. And I have the paper BP's for proof, if the miles don't post correctly.
benewr likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA
I always get a paper boarding pass and I usually use it for boarding as well. Having the phone is a nice option in case something changes it'll have the new gate, departure time, etc on it but as others have said you can't rely on a phone all the time. In fact I had it happen once where I was getting ready to board and then the phone had low battery, Fortunately I boarded before it died.

Cell phones aren't a magic replacement for everything, as they try to make them out to be.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always get the emailed PDF but rarely print it. Mobile boarding passes are on the app. I nearly always stop at a kiosk to print a paper boarding pass before security. Two reasons:

1) A paper boarding pass gives the TSA ID checker something to scribble his/her initials on after checking my ID, etc. They seem to take suh pleasure in this simple "official" act that I hate to deprive them of it by presenting a phone or tablet. (I would also really hate for them to scribble on my phone or tablet.)

2) At the gate I've noticed that paper boarding passes generally scan more reliably and faster than those on smartphones. For families traveling with kids, it often seems that all of the mobile boarding passes are on one smartphone, so the bearer of the smartphone has to scan a BP, then switch to another one, scan that, rinse and repeat depending on the number of travelers. Wouldn't it be much simpler and faster (and fun for the kids) if each kid who was old enough to hold his/her own paper boarding pass could present it to the gate agent / scanner? Almost every time I've watched, someone's smartphone goes 'dark' just before he or she reaches the scanner, requiring more time to revive the phone so the BP can scan. Then there's the passenger whose phone has flipped from the BP for the current flight to one for a connecting flight. More time wasted. I prefer to have my devices all packed away (in airplane mode) before I queue to board. I may be old-fashioned, but I'm simply not one of those people who is comfortable with my phone constantly in my hand.
HotelHacker likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:26 pm

Paper. Avoids last minute phone malfunction. Don't like putting phone down then against my face.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
OLCI so BP on the app.

At the airport, always ask for the paper version.
cawhite likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I always use OLCI and always print my BP. I would never put my travel plans in the hands of a battery. Paper is also far easier to handle for everyone involved.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Only time in the last two or three years that I've used a paper boarding pass is when traveling with my wife and kids.

She likes knowing she has the boarding passes in her possession.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is not a black and white or yes and no question.

For simple domestic travel, the need for paper boarding pass is minimum.

For international travel across multiple carriers and have visa requirements, paper boarding passes always win. There are places where paper boarding passes need to be stamped for immigration entries and security checks.
This.

Domestic, my phone is fine, and if the battery dies (only happened once several years ago after a delay) it's dead easy to go up to the gate and get a paper one.

International, especially with connections and in certain airports, I'll pick up the paper one at the check in counter as well.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

I generally use paper, since I often have my phone put away to get through security quickly. It’s also easier to hand paper over if someone needs to inspect it (more of an issue when traveling internationally).
Mobile BPs are fine these days, but I don’t like having to keep it up on my phone screen while I’m in the boarding line so that I don’t hold up the line pulling it up. Yes, it’s just a few seconds at most, but if you multiply that by 10-20 people, those delays add up.
And I do like technology, but sometimes paper is just easier.
cawhite likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm in the paper camp. Paper doesn't break, glitch, or run out of power. Plus they're collectible

I do sometimes board with my mobile BP though, as I may have put away my BP. But I definitely want the backup on hand, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.