Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

I always like having a paper boarding pass even when checked in online and in the GS lobby I can almost always walk right up to an agent. Pretty rare that I have to wait but might just be my regular flight times.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 6:12 pm Reason: Pulled out as a separate thread
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

I always like having a paper boarding pass even when checked in online and in the GS lobby I can almost always walk right up to an agent. Pretty rare that I have to wait but might just be my regular flight times.
The 1980s are calling ... they want their cutting edge technology back
Miggles, Kannai and eric.chen3742 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
The 1980s are calling ... they want their cutting edge technology back
I like having a paper boarding pass too. You never know when your phone will fail to work.

At the gate it's no big deal (they can just print you one) but the last thing I want to do is stand in the security line twice because when I got to the front the first time my phone would not show the BP.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
At the gate it's no big deal (they can just print you one) but the last thing I want to do is stand in the security line twice because when I got to the front the first time my phone would not show the BP.
Your Apple Watch can show the boarding pass, too. :-)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polarbears
Your Apple Watch can show the boarding pass, too. :-)
Yeah.... no
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:55 am

I like having a paper boarding pass too. You never know when your phone will fail to work.

Most of my travel is international, like many on this forum. I would never think about making a trip without paper boarding passes and a printout of my itinerary. The fragility of a phone, including the potential for running out of charge at a critical moment, and being misplaced or stolen, is far too high.
ekwang, oopl, benewr and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Most of my travel is international, like many on this forum. I would never think about making a trip without paper boarding passes and a printout of my itinerary. The fragility of a phone, including the potential for running out of charge at a critical moment, and being misplaced or stolen, is far too high.

THIS^

Flew EWR-PVG a few years ago, my phone died on the plane. When landing in Shanghai, the customs agents were giving me a hard time because I couldn't prove I had a departing flight in 5 hrs. I always bring a paper copy of my itinerary now.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Yeah.... no
Definitely a paper BP guy here too. Learned my lesson years back when there was no cellular data signal in the T6 (old CO) premier line, so I had to go downstairs to get one.

One workaround is just take a screen capture of the pass, but even then, I dont like the way sometimes the gate agent has to move the phone around the scanner a few times for it to scan, and i always feel like its going to get scratched.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
It's easier to show off the large GLOBAL SERVICES text on a paper ticket.

Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:45 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fivevsone
It's easier to show off the large GLOBAL SERVICES text on a paper ticket.

Holding it nonchalantly, facing outward, while I also make sure my GS tag on my carry-on is visible to the gate masses...
cawhite likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH
Holding it nonchalantly, facing outward, while I also make sure my GS tag on my carry-on is visible to the gate masses...
Who take you for some kind of employee in the Customer Service Department...
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:17 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by caseminole
Definitely a paper BP guy here too. Learned my lesson years back when there was no cellular data signal in the T6 (old CO) premier line, so I had to go downstairs to get one.

One workaround is just take a screen capture of the pass, but even then, I dont like the way sometimes the gate agent has to move the phone around the scanner a few times for it to scan, and i always feel like its going to get scratched.
I always use Apple's Wallet / Passbook app. Add the boarding pass when I check-in and it'll be on my homescreen when I need it. No issues with signal.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic
I always use Apple's Wallet / Passbook app. Add the boarding pass when I check-in and it'll be on my homescreen when I need it. No issues with signal.
Assuming your phone works.

I like to have both. Phones break. Boarding passes get lost. The chances of both happening at once are pretty slim.
Phil Level and 747FC like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
WN’s IT system is wonky enough that the last time I used them a few years back (had some gift cards to use up) they were having problems with phones and scanners and made everyone go to the desk and get a paper boarding pass, which was working better for them
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Assuming your phone works.

I like to have both. Phones break. Boarding passes get lost. The chances of both happening at once are pretty slim.
Unless I need to have my passport checked in person, I'd much rather save the time finding a check-in counter or fiddling with some stupid kiosk.
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.