Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

UA flyers -- Paper BP vs Phone app - what's your choice? Why?

Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by seenitall
Paper is dying. Good thing you don't use Ryanair. If you want them to print you a paper BP at the airport it's 15 euros. If you also want to check in at the airport, it's 45 euros.
Friends don't let friends fly Ryanair.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Ordinary UA domestic and most international flights - phone app.

Anything involving a codeshare partner or really long (like TPAC), paper.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
x = p(phone not working - or worse, leaving it in the lounge)
y = p(leaving paper BP behind or not being able to find it)

Why not prefer something closer to 1 - x*y than 1 - x or 1 - y even if both x and y are small?...
Of course doing both is better BUT
Sum all the time to get the BP (when not checking bags) and compare that to saved time in the case of 1-x; there is a cost to the extra insurance.

We all have our comfort levels and horror stories, but in reality, these are not sound analytical decisions, these are emotion decisions -- making them neither wrong or wrong. Just personal idiocentrics.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by rabilancia
I am a true techno-geek (ask my family and friends)! I introduced the first PC to a Fortune 200 company; I've been on the internet since 1981 when there was no World Wide Web; I always have the latest gear; etc., etc. BUT, I am keenly aware that technology frequently fails (e.g., SABRE down yesterday & sensors on the 737 MAX). A long time ago I began using the expression, "The wonderful thing about technology is that it ever works at all." Hence, while I use my phone to check-in, I always get a paper boarding pass.
I remember news footage of millionaires begging for food and gas at a minimart in South Florida after hurricane Irma. They evidently did everything on their phones and had no cash. With no power or cell coverage, they were toast. The minimart owner had no mercy saying that he'd had the foresight to fill his fuel storage tanks before the storm, line-up generators so he could open his store without relying on the grid, and had staff competent enough to use a calculator for the fuel sales. He roundly chastised them for being unprepared.
Oregonflyer and DELee like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
TL;DR - I have every paper boarding pass for every flight from 2004 - present. Started as an accident and became a compulsion. That said, I always use OLCI and print out BP at airport, usually using the mobile BP at the gate reader.

Full story: when I started flying consistently after finishing college back in 2004, the process was pretty repetitive: put BP in the big scanner, receive the stub, look at seat number, stick stub in wallet. I'd put the stub on the corner of my counter at one of my corporate apartments, and after about 8 weeks there were quite a few of them. So I decided that I was going to keep them all, and I have. I was really bummed with the move from the heavy card stock to the thermal paper, and every now and then when I get a semi-heavy card stock BP I get pretty excited. Fast forward 15 years to present day, I've got a shoebox filled with over 1300 BPs; at some point I'm going to find someone far more creative than me to create some kind of artwork with all of them. Also, I still have a stack of the old, heavy gold ticket envelopes that I cherish
OK...that makes me jealous.

I keep all my paper boarding passes as well. Have no ideal what I will do with them someday, but can't bring myself to stop collecting them now.
timezone_trooper likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Of course doing both is better BUT
Sum all the time to get the BP (when not checking bags) and compare that to saved time in the case of 1-x; there is a cost to the extra insurance.

We all have our comfort levels and horror stories, but in reality, these are not sound analytical decisions, these are emotion decisions -- making them neither wrong or wrong. Just personal idiocentrics.
If you have access to a printer (at home or at work) you can get a paper boarding pass quite easily even if you are not checking bags. I consider the cost quite low. Print it out, fold it up, put it in my back pocket, and forget about it -- unless it turns out that I need it.

For me, it's a sound analytical decision. I always have my phone but I never leave myself in a situation where I truly need it. It's a convenience; not a lifeline. I have had a power button break on my phone and been unable to turn on the display before. There are hacks and workarounds, but nothing that I could do while in front of the TSA guy checking BPs. It is entirely possible that you drop your phone and it hits the ground at just the wrong angle and renders it unusable (that's actually how I broke my power button). I have bricked a tablet before so it was stuck in a reboot loop (admittedly, I was doing some hacky stuff but still -- it's entirely possible that Apple or Google push you an update that puts your phone in a state where it won't boot. Likely? No. But definitely possible)
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I'm all about electronic versions and normally hate paper, but for really important stuff, a paper backup is a requirement for me, and that applies to BPs as well.

When we flew took our Japan trip in 2013, we tried mobil BPs for the first time. When we showed the mobil BP to the agent at security, she had never seen one for UA before and noticed that it lacked a date on it (that may have changed by now). Thankfully, I had a copy of our itinerary that a matching flight and seat numbers and the date, so she accepted that.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Paper... I like to photo the mountain of BP's at the end of a given year.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
One other note - there are still places in the world that require you to have paper copies of your itinerary, and sometimes to have paper tickets/boarding passes. I've experienced this at some airports in India, where you have to have paper tickets to enter the airport. I've also been required to have my connecting flight BPs and to show a printout of my itinerary with my return flight booking at immigration in parts of South America and Asia. Just another reason why having paper BPs can also be a good idea.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Paper, paper, and more paper. First I travel with a giant pelican and need somewhere to stick my claim check sticker to, and secondly my phones are normally plugged into my backpack as they are the hotspots for my laptop (company) and iPad (personal).

When I’m done they go on a whiteboard in my office and all my coworkers get to stare at how many flights I take a year.

Last edited by rj_flyer; Mar 29, 2019 at 7:16 am Reason: Spelling...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I like trees so I eliminate paper when I can. That said, when on international partners or multiple segment international I will sacrifice a tree to my First World needs
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by In2ishn
I like trees so I eliminate paper when I can. That said, when on international partners or multiple segment international I will sacrifice a tree to my First World needs
Personally, I don't consider thermal "paper" as paper. At best, it is coated flimsy stuff. Again, not sure how many trees one saves by not printing - unless perhaps you are @ua1flyer or @GSunitedloyal.

David
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Even if the plusses and minuses work out to a tie by the time you board your flight, there is the matter of having proof of your seat assignment with you on the plane (while your phone is off and in your carry-on). It's much easier to fend off the occasional seat-poacher and, if 1K, show an FA who's not looking at their tablet & trying to charge you for a meal/drink. I keep the BP folded and in my shirt pocket, where it also becomes a place to write a reminder of something I will need to remember later.

On International flights where there's an arrival form to fill out, I'll jot down my passport number on the BP, so that when I fill out the form I have my passport number, flight number, and arrival date if needed, without having to get my bag out.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Mar 29, 2019 at 11:40 am Reason: spell check
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Personally, I don't consider thermal "paper" as paper. At best, it is coated flimsy stuff. Again, not sure how many trees one saves by not printing - unless perhaps you are @ua1flyer or @GSunitedloyal.

David
Def huge fan of the app, I don’t do paper unless I absolutely must, Plus I save TSA a lot of time as they don’t have to do their writing and scratching on my boarding pass
Miggles, Kannai and chemengin like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Domestically, I default to the mobile boarding pass. Internationally, I like to have a paper copy of the receipt, itinerary, and boarding passes. I also put paper copies of the receipt and itinerary in my checked luggage. I have used mobile boarding pass a couple of times internationally but it really hasn't been supported on the trips I've taken.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.