Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tips on getting best Business Class ticket price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips on getting best Business Class ticket price

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
google owns ITA and i suspect that software has been integrated in to google flights, which I use a lot. I second the suggestion of using DUB to enter the UK/EU. We have also used AMS CDG MAD FRA etc. If you have time and the interest, you could get a Chase Sapphire reserve card, do the spend then have 50000 miles to use as a discount through their portal. Or Amex platinum will give 100000 points for 5000 spend. Then use those points to discount your fares. It seems to me that J fare sales have declined since 2009, as the global economy improved. Also a lot of baby boomers in the US are starting to cash in their 401ks, then fly consolidator J flights to cruises and similar, which are taking up a lot of seats.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are tracking the price, you will get notifications of changes, such as this one I received today
"Your tracked flight to Paris is now $2,336 (was $1,576)" Google Flights <[email protected]>
As far as I can tell Google Flights tracks a specific flight, not the route - so when there are options I have it track each of them.
BeanTownBoy and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
As far as I can tell Google Flights tracks a specific flight, not the route ...
That's my understanding also

- so when there are options I have it track each of them.
However, in each price report it does offer a few (cheaper) alternatives
but if you want specific alternatives, that requires a separate tracking.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, JPM Palladium, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Condition One
I've found Google Flights to be most useful when looking for fares
I second this. Though its not perfect, and even the quotes that google gives you isn't actually bookable, there are times where you can find great rates. I booked SFO TNA business recently for $1760, where normally the flight cost would be around $3,000. You can see on the date grid, some of these low business fares are staggered on certain days throughout the week. I do have 2 stops on the return, but my schedule allows it.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: *G
You've got a huge advantage in that, without status, you probably are less beholden to specific carriers or alliances. That opens a much larger swathe of options. So monitor the MR Premium forum.

While I'm not a guru on fare finding, what's helpful to me is having an understanding of the general historical price range, so I can define an objective ceiling (vs market) and a subjective ceiling (vs my spending habits).

So personally, East Coast - UK I consider 1500 a good deal, 2000 a fair deal, and 2500 an acceptable deal. West Coast - Singapore, add around 500 on top of that. If it's not at Fair or better, I wouldnt buy them 12 months ahead. YMMV
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by rmc1
This is one of the reasons why I love this flight. I stay at a hotel near LHR and arrive and go right to bed and wake up the next day at 7-8am and I'm instantly on European time with no jet lag at all. I'm doing similar thing on way home from Hawaii in July: take the afternoon flight to LAX and spend night in hotel and next morning fly back to the east coast. Of course, I don't sleep well on planes, not even in international first class, so that might have something to do with it. If you have the time the day flight to London is well worth it in my opinion.
I find I’m actually in the opposite boat. I arrive at night in London feeling like it’s early afternoon, and then I sit frustratingly awake in bed in my hotel until 3-4am and then I’m a zombie the next day, so I try to avoid the day flights. So even though it’s a short flight, I try to maximize sleep time on the plane on the redeye and then power through to the end of the first day, at which point I’m tired enough to sleep on London time. Guess it’s just best to know what camp your body is in and plan accordingly.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
new option in Google flights to see if the price is a good deal. Just rolled out. Not available for every flight

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-find-o...eal-1833603694
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
i would also look at Brussels or Paris as European gateways, and then Eurostar into London. You can find some very good Eurostar pricing this far out.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by deniah
So personally, East Coast - UK I consider 1500 a good deal, 2000 a fair deal, and 2500 an acceptable deal. West Coast - Singapore, add around 500 on top of that. If it's not at Fair or better, I wouldnt buy them 12 months ahead. YMMV
You mean RT? I don’t think I have ever paid less than $2.2K for discount business TATL RT, and that was years ago. I don’t think I have seen discount business TATL RT for less than $2.8K in a long time. $2K is normally my out of pocket cash when I find PZ at booking both legs, and same for a mileage upgrade on BA (because you have to buy PE first).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:49 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Artpen100

You mean RT? I don’t think I have ever paid less than $2.2K for discount business TATL RT, and that was years ago. I don’t think I have seen discount business TATL RT for less than $2.8K in a long time. $2K is normally my out of pocket cash when I find PZ at booking both legs, and same for a mileage upgrade on BA (because you have to buy PE first).

$23XX on UA right now EWR-DUB RT. Plenty of availability on 787-10
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: None anymore
I'd also like to chime in about google flights, just pick the flight you want and track the price. Personally prices are cheaper ~3+ months out.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
$23XX on UA right now EWR-DUB RT. Plenty of availability on 787-10
Even less for BRU. Also on 78J.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 27, 2019 at 8:20 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: None anymore
As far as I can tell Google Flights tracks a specific flight, not the route - so when there are options I have it track each of them.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's my understanding also

However, in each price report it does offer a few (cheaper) alternatives
but if you want specific alternatives, that requires a separate tracking.
Actually not true - you can! Once you've started a search, towards the top there is a toggle "track prices" and it'll track for the origin/destination/dates.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If you can find a RT for $2.3K in J, you should buy it. But if you see it priced at $2.8K, in my experience, at least for continental Europe, the chances that it will go up to $5K-6K are far better than that it will drop to $1.5K-2K.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Artpen100

RT. I'm flying EU to NA/SEA/SSA and most of my leisure trips are 1600-2400 EUR , thats sticking with *A and flying point to point (wife wouldnt put up with the positioning nonsense). Discount J is still J seat .
I'll only occasionally pay more if needed for promotions - like for companion seats, or matching award seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.