Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AMS go to seasonal even before service starts! & SFO-MUC goes to year round

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-AMS go to seasonal even before service starts! & SFO-MUC goes to year round

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Makes sense. MUC has the connectivity and is an awesome facility. They obviously tested the waters with year-round SFO/AMS and would appear that advance booking projections did not meet target.
I also think they're load balancing with LH on the SFO-FRA/MUC combined market, possibly freeing up LH frames for something else.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Remember DL's ORD-LHR? I didn't think so. Route planners sometimes miss their projections.
Imstevek likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Didn't KL just announce this week a 2nd AMS-SFO flight?

Thinking that's the reason they cut it back.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It's a tough market for UA because AMS is a SkyTeam hub.
Just like AMS-SFO is a tough market for KL because SFO is a *A hub. But KL seems to be able to overcome such difficulties.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
On the surface, the availability of PZ could indicate that flight is a financial failure for United. If that was the only piece of information I had, I wouldn't expect it to last, though I'm sure there are other reasons for the flight to exist.

Maybe they were/are hoping it would be more successful so they could close down IAH-AMS?
IAH-AMS has been running for a long time. Due to the market dynamics SFO couldn’t replace IAH on that route.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Just like AMS-SFO is a tough market for KL because SFO is a *A hub. But KL seems to be able to overcome such difficulties.
Because KL only has 1 hub and can rely on Europe/Middle East/Africa feed. UA is already flying to AMS from 4 different hubs, an additional flight will of course have an effect on the entire US-AMS traffic.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bavariair
SFO-MUC is going year-round instead, maybe they decided putting the frame on that route makes more sense than AMS...
Most likely. ZRH might be a runner-up for year-round down the road.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I’m having trouble interpreting the article. When is the service effective?
March 30 to October 25 SFO-AMS; AMS-SFO one day later.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: united

AMS is a lot closer to being a fortress hub than SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, this would be a long thin route, so it's expensive to operate. Saturating the AMS market with capacity and starting a price war with DL/KLM doesn't seem like it would have been a wise move.
As a passenger flying out of AMS a lot, I tend to disagree .
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
So UA converting their FIFTH gateway flight to rival fortress hub to summer only and people scream bloody murder

but when it’s AA canceling their ONLY gateway to TLV and DL canceling their ONLY gateway to HKG then it’s “they’re in the business to make money”

*eye roll*
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
So UA converting their FIFTH gateway flight to rival fortress hub to summer only and people scream bloody murder

but when it’s AA canceling their ONLY gateway to TLV and DL canceling their ONLY gateway to HKG then it’s “they’re in the business to make money”

*eye roll*
"Screaming bloody murder"? Goodness, that sounds serious!

Um, who is doing that exactly?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA is already flying to AMS from 4 different hubs, an additional flight will of course have an effect on the entire US-AMS traffic.
Right now, West-Coast to AMS means a very early flight at SFO, have done it quite a number of times.

Originally Posted by BB2220
IAH-AMS has been running for a long time. Due to the market dynamics SFO couldn’t replace IAH on that route.
There's a lot of (TX) business folks on that flight, not necessarily all oil/gas stuff too. It's been running on a 777-200 for ages now.
And it's a very nice freight route, there's a lot of logistics around AMS/NL...

SFO is a big cargo route for KL. I once heard it was their best use of the half-freight 747-400 Combi...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe UA somehow believes that people from the Bay Area especially want to visit Amsterdam?
Well, mind you, government folks need to fly flag-carriers, and there's a lot of those folks in the Bay Area too, and you have flights to all major *A hubs out of AMS as well as to other places.
Then again, maybe UA is seeing how BRexit pans out...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Looking at today's flight (April 1st) and no, this isn't an April fools joke, there are only 21/48 business seats booked and the upgrade list currently shows 32 people and it is identical to the standby list (aka NonRev).

Meanwhile, Award and Upgrade fare buckets are zero-ed out and the asking price for business class is at $12000+ for roundtrip.

Tomorrow's flight (April 2nd) not looking any better. 18/48 business class seats booked. Similarly Award and Upgrade fare buckets are zero-ed out with $12000+ fares for business class.

P.S. Fun fact, the aircraft for today is coming from Anchorage! Apparently UA 892 from ICN diverted.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Continental
April 1

Look at all the non revs on the standby and upgrade waitlists.
Also, they have changed the aircraft three times until they could finally get one that will cause a delay. 😩😩The original from hnd and second from sin will arrive sfo in plenty of time!
I will be on the AMS flight today.

Last edited by hockey7711; Apr 1, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: Additional

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.