Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't redeem domestic first class(I) (SFO-HNL) on United with Krisflyer miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold

Gday all. I'm SQ KF departing on a *A round the world redemption soon with the wife, and we haven't been able to redeem United 1st domestic after 10 months of trying. Absolutely no availability on first between HNL and SFO, only economy. Is the problem the popularity of the route, or United saving redemptions in first for its own premium passengers?

If it makes any diff I'm KF Gold and all other rtw legs are on business, booked via KF miles.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
SFO-HNL is an extremely popular route that gets sold out up front. Even UA elites can’t get award space.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Any I-class is difficult to come by for domestic flights. HNL-SFO is particularly bad. Don't waste your time searching for it ... it will likely never appear.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, should've saved myself some Award Flyer points as I kept a daily search going for more than 6 months. Nada. Nonetheless, shan't complain about going to Hawaii!
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:27 am

Domestic I class very very hard to get.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Do saver awards even exist to Hawaii?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So? It's been impossible to redeem MP miles for any class on SQ for several months.

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??

Last edited by kale73; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:56 pm Reason: add link
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There are plenty of Saver First awards HNL-SFO available - you have to be prepared to fly last minute - they typically are not available in more than a week in advance.

40K F awards available 3/25, 3/27, 3/28
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tingadingling
or United saving redemptions in first for its own premium passengers?
No, but if they did (and withheld them from just SQ), that would be called well-deserved karma.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There are plenty of Saver First awards HNL-SFO available - you have to be prepared to fly last minute - they typically are not available in more than a week in advance.

While this is accurate, I'm not sure how helpful it is for someone trying to plan a RTW award.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
While this is accurate, I'm not sure how helpful it is for someone trying to plan a RTW award.
I think the OP can book the segment in X and then change it to I if/when it becomes available . . .

RTW tickets can usually be changed en-route.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Searched this about a month ago and saw one day in the schedule -- it was 1 March 2019 iirc -- with I1 on SFO-HNL, I0 on all other UA sectors to Hawaii otherwise. I only searched for 6 months though.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kale73
So? It's been impossible to redeem MP miles for any class on SQ for several months.

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??
I can emphathise. On its best day, SQ award bookings for J and F are still painful to get. Fact is, they have to offer an awards program but they don’t make it particularly easy. When I was PPS (1K equivalent?) I’d still be waitlisted all the time and have to harry their operators to clear several weeks before a flight (which they often eventually did). I’d hate to be an alliance partner member trying to redeem on SQ.

Though in this instance, it seems to be a multi partner problem with UA that has now been resolved except for SQ. I don’t see why they’d be in a hurry to fix it frankly.
Originally Posted by Ari
I think the OP can book the segment in X and then change it to I if/when it becomes available . . .

RTW tickets can usually be changed en-route.
Yes, this is exactly what I’m doing. If we don’t get I we’ll fly X for this leg, my main concern is baggage limits and not so much cabin/seating as we plan to sleep during the red eye anyway.

For future reference, try and book *A RTW redemptions a year in advance and be prepared to amend routes if I or F is important to you. I was flexible and still landed with a suboptimal routing. You can call in to change flights when I becomes available, but have to pay $125 for each change, on SQ anyway.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Great advice - thanks shall try this. Your nick name lives up to its promise!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

YES and we waitlisted for upgrade and got upgraded as well - 4 of US - in the middle of summer - on the 4th of July - from IAD-HNL 767 - lay flats
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IAD-HNL is a different story.

SFO/LAX-HNL are the worst given they are still CPUable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.