Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cannot buy airfare from United (Canada) with USD credit card?

Cannot buy airfare from United (Canada) with USD credit card?

Reply

Old Mar 24, 19, 4:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,316
Cannot buy airfare from United (Canada) with USD credit card?

So I was trying to purchase airfare from United's Canadian website with my credit card (USD) and United won't let me proceed with it. The reason why I want to do that is because there is about a $10 difference after currency conversion. When I put in my billing information and click "purchase", United would stop processing the transaction and tells me that they have updated the pricing to reflect the billing information that I had entered. Anyone here experienced this before? Now I know it's only $10, but money doesn't grow on trees...
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:36 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 23,541
well-know problem. Search is your friend.

Your solution is likely https://www.expedia.ca/ or similar OTAs which will process your reservation in CAD.
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:39 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
well-know problem. Search is your friend.

Your solution is likely https://www.expedia.ca/ or similar OTAs which will process your reservation in CAD.
Will I get 5x from AMEX Platinum if I book with Expedia or any other OTA?
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:20 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 23,541
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post


Will I get 5x from AMEX Platinum if I book with Expedia or any other OTA?
yes
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Programs: MYOB
Posts: 994
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
So I was trying to purchase airfare from United's Canadian website with my credit card (USD) and United won't let me proceed with it. The reason why I want to do that is because there is about a $10 difference after currency conversion. When I put in my billing information and click "purchase", United would stop processing the transaction and tells me that they have updated the pricing to reflect the billing information that I had entered. Anyone here experienced this before? Now I know it's only $10, but money doesn't grow on trees...
Have bought 3 round trips. YYZ-HUB(ORD/SFO)-HNL direct on UA website in the last 9 months. Mix of direct search and Google flights. No issues. US citizen, US credit card. When using Google Flights, the display comes back in CA $ when sent to UA.com. . Select the drop down at the top for North America//US English. Reprices to US$. Proceed with purchase... never a problem. Are you selecting US/English?

Last edited by xzh445; Mar 24, 19 at 11:16 am
xzh445 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: BGI | CMH
Programs: AA Platinum | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post


Will I get 5x from AMEX Platinum if I book with Expedia or any other OTA?
If itís the US personal Amex platinum, you would only get 5X if Expedia passed along the charge to United to process. If Expedia processes the charge themselves you will not get 5X.

most OTAís pass along standalone airfare in my experience but Iíve never tried a foreign OTA.
Shadowfactor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: A3*G, AA-Exec, DL, UA*S, AS
Posts: 168
Have gotten things to process in the origin currency by using PayPal (with US CC) and a random address (on United.com) in that country before. See if that's an option?
swgsword is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:43 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
yes
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor View Post


If itís the US personal Amex platinum, you would only get 5X if Expedia passed along the charge to United to process. If Expedia processes the charge themselves you will not get 5X.

most OTAís pass along standalone airfare in my experience but Iíve never tried a foreign OTA.
There are a few websites that says Expedia doesn't give 5x back on the Platinum and I'm better off buying direct from the airline. I guess my question is how often does Expedia or Orbitz pass the charge to the airline to process so that I get the maximum amount of points?
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:45 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,480
I've done this before but in the reverse (use a Cdn card on US website.) Obviously, you can't sign in to your account. You must use guest mode. IIRC, I entered my correct street address, but used a fake state and zip code. Can't remember what I used for the city. I believe it worked for either MC or Visa, but not both. You'll have to experiment. But the transaction went through. Once I had my PNR, I just added my UA number and it appeared in my account. No issues.
margarita girl is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:06 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,300
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
well-know problem. Search is your friend.

Your solution is likely https://www.expedia.ca/ or similar OTAs which will process your reservation in CAD.
its not a Ďproblemí, but the way that united enforces point of sale. Most airlines do this by simply using the country of the departure city, charging in that local currency, and allowing you to use a card from virtually any country. UA does it by billing address. Not sure why, or what the benefit of doing it that way is - there must be some for UA to continue to use it. But it does bring exactly the problem described by the OP, which means the prices can change, more than just based on exchange.

Correct that an OTA should process it just fine. Expedia.ca should price in CAD using CA POS and also process a US card.

Have bought 3 round trips. YYZ-HUB(ORD/SFO)-HNL direct on UA website in the last 9 months. Mix of direct search and Google flights. No issues. US citizen, US credit card. When using Google Flights, the display comes back in CA $ when sent to UA.com. . Select the drop down at the top for North America//US English. Reprices to US$. Proceed with purchase... never a problem. Are you selecting US/English?
not sure the relevance of this. OP wants to pay with a Canadian price on a US card. If you start searching on United.ca and enter United States in the billing address, will reload on United.com with in USD using prices on US POS and only accept a US card. Google flights will route you to .ca based on the YYZ departure, but UA will take you back to the US site when trying to use a US card, and price in US. Standard UA website behavior. In fact, you are having essentially the same thing done to you that OP is having done to them, except they want the Canadian price that saves them ~$10. UAs site does t allow it, probably because they donít want the OP doing what hey are trying to do.

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
There are a few websites that says Expedia doesn't give 5x back on the Platinum and I'm better off buying direct from the airline. I guess my question is how often does Expedia or Orbitz pass the charge to the airline to process so that I get the maximum amount of points?
OTAs arenít leaving processing to the airlines so the passenger gets more points - they are doing it to save $. When United (or whatever carrier) processes the charge, they pay the card processing fees. Instead of the agent. So they will let the airlines process it every time. Airlines still allow this, since itís an incentive for the agents to use their carrrier (guess what would happen if AA tells Expedia they will process, and UA says they have to do it themselves...who is the agent going to try to convince you to book with).
emcampbe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:11 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 48,701
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
UA does it by billing address. Not sure why, or what the benefit of doing it that way is - there must be some for UA to continue to use it.
For one thing, it avoids customers complaining about currency conversion.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:28 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,300
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
For one thing, it avoids customers complaining about currency conversion.
It does? Seems thatís pretty much what the OP is complaining about.
emcampbe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 52
United is planning to drop Expedia.
chriskuo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:45 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SJC
Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
For one thing, it avoids customers complaining about currency conversion.
For another, it also simplifies (from the airline's perspective) determining the relevant govt taxes/merchant terms/consumer protections that apply to the reservation and ticketing.
nerdbirdsjc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:12 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,316
Originally Posted by chriskuo View Post
United is planning to drop Expedia.
For real?
lsquare is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread