Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trying to book a Business Saver ticket to Europe

Trying to book a Business Saver ticket to Europe

Old May 15, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
There has been a succession of P fare sales throughout this year and that seems to be the way they are clearing excess advance inventory. Circa $1000-1200 seems to be the marking price ex-EU, if you strike when one is running. Not sure if itís still available but ir was running ex-DE yesterday.

Having said that, there still seems to be decent last minute availability (not sure if on miles) regularly at the moment.
Old May 15, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
With the billions of reward miles outstanding in the system, and upcoming changes to dynamic awards, I would not be suprised if there's an unusually high effort to use award miles this summer...
Old May 15, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Europe takes the whole month of August off, and all that work happens in September. It's a terrible month to try to find upgrade and award space.

ed. not to mention that the original premise is wildly false. I found TATL I space for September on my very first try, and count no fewer than 15 days that month with space ex-ORD (probably most of it is LO on ORD/JFK-WAW/KRK). Saw some ORD-ZRH on LX as well.

Last edited by findark; May 15, 19 at 7:25 am
Old May 15, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
There has been a succession of P fare sales throughout this year and that seems to be the way they are clearing excess advance inventory. Circa $1000-1200 seems to be the marking price ex-EU, if you strike when one is running. Not sure if itís still available but ir was running ex-DE yesterday.

Having said that, there still seems to be decent last minute availability (not sure if on miles) regularly at the moment.
Very true. I see these low priced business fares on United but they always originate in Europe.....while they keep the U.S. market high and trim award availability to almost nothing.
Old May 15, 19, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
No TATL saver awards from SFO? There's absolutely nothing "new" about this.

You can find this thread every year for the past five years plus.
LRMErnst likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:32 am

Programs: UA, AS
I am not too far from the OP. Finding summer tatl saver awards in business is tough. I don't ever see them in the star alliance system. I can find them in the winter...

perhaps a Swiss skiing trip is in order.
Old May 16, 19, 1:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post

too true. I just booked EWR-FRA for July 4 weekend for $2500. At that price, it barely reached my minimum redemption threshold of $0.02/mi even if saver WAS available, and in fact doesnít when you consider I earn another 27,500 RDM on top by paying. Plus, as a GS I was able to convert T->XN and confirm a GPU for a companion (there was only one P left and anyway I prefer to burn GPUs over miles whenever possible)

Finding cheap P fares and upgrading my companion is my new preferred award redemption approach especially since it also contributes PQD toward GS requal. Vicious cycle but hopefully one United sees as a win-win.

Old May 18, 19, 6:48 am

Nothing at all.
Only 1 pax.
From SFO to any gateways any stopover.
WHOLE MONTH. NOTHING! YIKES!

Checked website. Called 1K web support.
As said, NOT A SINGLE SAVER AWARD from SFO to ANYWHERE in Europe for the WHOLE MONTH.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 19 at 10:26 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 22, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by thaitraveller View Post
Nothing at all.
Only 1 pax.

As said, NOT A SINGLE SAVER AWARD from SFO to ANYWHERE in Europe for the WHOLE MONTH.
They are matching supply to demand, there are enough people earning sufficiently high salaries in the Bay area that there is a market for regular business fares and they don't need to release award seats to fill the cabins.
Old May 22, 19, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by thaitraveller View Post
Nothing at all.
Only 1 pax.

Hop down to SoCAL and try your luck...for example:

LAX to LHR on LOT 9-15-2019 for 70K miles lol...