Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold
That was posted in the SQ thread. Pretty sure that is SQ
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SQ logo is on the coasters.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
For us dreamers (or maybe would-be switchers!), can you please name the airline and year in the photo?!! At least we can get a vicarious thrill!
It was SQ suites, the picture is about a month old. Since somebody else explicitly mentioned Krug, I couldn‘t resist ...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I
The cutbacks were VERY noticeable this week. The cutbacks in staff were especially evident on FA service. They were hustling, but just understaffed.
Do you suppose there's any value in complaining? I just flew SFO NRT in Polaris (am on the airport bus now) and the service felt very rushed and short-staffed. The FAs were clearly doing their best but they were expected to do too much.

Boarding was chaotic because most of the transpacs were delayed, some by an hour or more, due to weather. We didn't even get a pre-departure drink. Quelle disappointment! When I'm lucky enough to get an upgrade (I'm a poor heathen who can't buy or have Polaris tix purchased for me) I like to start the flight off with a bit of sparkling plonk.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I used to have a hard time sleeping while flying, probably because it was so exciting to be going someplace new. Nowadays, thanks to my sleep apnea, I can drop off as soon as I get onboard, sometimes before the plane actually takes off.
As a Safety Professional who works in a safety sensitive world, I would advise against falling asleep prior to take off or during being asleep during critical phases of flight as that's when situational awareness will be instrumental in your well being should something non-standard occur in these phases of flight.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
As a Safety Professional who works in a safety sensitive world, I would advise against falling asleep prior to take off or during being asleep during critical phases of flight as that's when situational awareness will be instrumental in your well being should something non-standard occur in these phases of flight.
Thank goodness such situational awareness is almost never required and when it is it is usually ineffective. If we want to improve human safety, reduce risk or save lives then there are much more effective manouvers than staying awake during flight. Anyone who pays for business is more than welcome to sleep when they want - life is too short and staying awake during take off won't make life any longer for almost everyone of the several millions who fly every day.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ani90
Thank goodness such situational awareness is almost never required and when it is it is usually ineffective. If we want to improve human safety, reduce risk or save lives then there are much more effective manouvers than staying awake during flight. Anyone who pays for business is more than welcome to sleep when they want - life is too short and staying awake during take off won't make life any longer for almost everyone of the several millions who fly every day.
Mock situational awareness all you want but there are several aviation incidents where the lack of situational awareness has caused significant injuries and cost people their lives. :-:
  1. Delta 1141
  2. Comair 5191
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kannai
Do you suppose there's any value in complaining? I just flew SFO NRT in Polaris (am on the airport bus now) and the service felt very rushed and short-staffed. The FAs were clearly doing their best but they were expected to do too much.
On the 77W? I thought they were maintaining the same level of crew staffing in J (6) on that aircraft.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
On the 77W? I thought they were maintaining the same level of crew staffing in J (6) on that aircraft.
I must be confused. My apologies. I can't keep track of all the 777s. That just means the FAs were the worst I've experienced of 10 or 12 Polaris flights in the past couple years. I suppose we all get a bad flight now and then. And had I actually paid for J, I'd be writing a nastygram to UA about the mediocre service.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I must be confused. My apologies.
I'm not 100% sure myself, but in any event no apology necessary

That just means the FAs were the worst I've experienced of 10 or 12 Polaris flights in the past couple years. I suppose we all get a bad flight now and then.
Indeed.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by worldclubber

It was SQ suites, the picture is about a month old. Since somebody else explicitly mentioned Krug, I couldn‘t resist ...
Thanks for sharing (and identifying)! Makes one think....
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
And keep your shoes on!
zspitzer and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
Thanks for sharing (and identifying)! Makes one think....
And it can be done in business class, too. BR serves Krug Rose on its Hello Kitty flights, which is considerably more expensive than „regular“ Krug 2004.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:39 am

One may take solace in the fact that AC, North America's only 4 star airline, is no better. The catering aboard my YYZ-FRA flight yesterday was pretty awful. The YYZ Signature Suite lounge, AC's equivalent to the Polaris Lounge, had relatively good catering, especially the lamb chops, but the service and space was mediocre. Honestly though, these days there are no business class lounges that excite me, having been to those of BR, TK, LH, AC, LX, SQ, OS and TG within the last few months. I actually prefer the Polaris Lounges. As we all have experienced in the Polaris cabins, catering is no better than economy on most MEA and Asian airlines. Pity.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boarding was chaotic because most of the transpacs were delayed, some by an hour or more, due to weather. We didn't even get a pre-departure drink. Quelle disappointment! When I'm lucky enough to get an upgrade (I'm a poor heathen who can't buy or have Polaris tix purchased for me) I like to start the flight off with a bit of sparkling plonk.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I must be confused. My apologies. I can't keep track of all the 777s. That just means the FAs were the worst I've experienced of 10 or 12 Polaris flights in the past couple years. I suppose we all get a bad flight now and then. And had I actually paid for J, I'd be writing a nastygram to UA about the mediocre service.
I also had the impression also that the 77W has not changed staffing counts.

However, I've had three flights on it since Feb 1 and they all feel like service is diminished. I can't pinpoint what exactly is the reason, maybe the galley changes mean fewer passenger-facing attendants during the service?, but it seems slower and more prone to omission of some minor service element (second bread, drink refill).

The only-one-open Champagne bottle rule also is a bit awkward. And did the purser always do the front-cabin port- / A-side meal service? I may simply have never noticed that, as it was only on my last couple of flights that I was scrutinising and trying to figure out what all was different.
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.