Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I really wish the *A partners would exert some influence to improve the arrival PL access issue. Flew in on a partner - no shower for you, buddy!
Isn't the sharply restricted access integral to the concept? Because there are so many ways into lounges, they get very crowded. So UA created something very hard to get into. For the PL to work, they have to keep it very exclusive.

There are other options available in PL cities to take a shower after a flight.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Maybe UA should justify more cost-cutting measures.

In this post 9/11 era . . .
  • . . . we don't want to serve hot soup-- that could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . we don't want any glass in the cabin-- that could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . all plastic cutlery-- metal spoons could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . no more alcohol-- sober people cause less trouble in the sensitive environment of an airplane.
Can anyone else think of ways for UA to save money in this "post-9/11 era"?
None of those are remotely comparable to carving knives.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
There are other options available in PL cities to take a shower after a flight.
There really are not. Unless you consider cups of water from the drinking fountain equivalent to a shower.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
None of those are remotely comparable to carving knives.
I don't want to turn this into a TS&S thread; my post was a tongue-in-cheek response to the notion that carving knives are more of a threat after 9/11 than before. I would prefer carving knives and a decent meal to the crap they serve now in UPB.

United doesn't have good food in UPB because they don't want to pay for good food in UPB. Austrian and Turkish have lovely DO&CO trolley service (and don't use carving knives for it). United serves drek on a shpindel (or was that satay?) for an appetizer and kraplach soup (or was that a Chinese dumpling dish?) as an entree.

I don't need caviar and Krug, but something edible, please!
iluv2fly and worldclubber like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
That is impressive (the 58 years of flying international long haul).

Miss Widget is jealous of my ability to close my eyes for a moment and fall asleep without difficulty anywhere we go while it takes her 15-20 minutes to do so.
I used to have a hard time sleeping while flying, probably because it was so exciting to be going someplace new. Nowadays, thanks to my sleep apnea, I can drop off as soon as I get onboard, sometimes before the plane actually takes off.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I used to have a hard time sleeping while flying, probably because it was so exciting to be going someplace new. Nowadays, thanks to my sleep apnea, I can drop off as soon as I get onboard, sometimes before the plane actually takes off.
Oh no! And then the snoring starts......
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
There really are not. Unless you consider cups of water from the drinking fountain equivalent to a shower.
Exactly. UA thoughtfully removed showers from the UC. And believe me, there's nothing quite like shaving using a motion controlled faucet
moondog, worldclubber and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well, for instance, there is a Hilton physically attached to the ORD terminal....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ari

Oh that gives me that fond memory of the treat I had flying JFK-HKG in CX F a few years ago..... that flight in F spoiled me for every other flight in J Ive taken since...both on CX and UA
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Ari
Caviar and Krug don't hurt, but UA should at least keep up a minimal standard, something the waitress at a Denny's wouldn't be embarrassed to serve.

This is just not gonna happen at UA:

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Oh no! And then the snoring starts......
I never hear it ...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I never hear it ...
You don't but the passenger who wants to smother you does
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I fly business class only for leisure - my employer would never pay for a business class ticket for me - only the top senior executives are allowed to fly business.

I only sleep on eastbound flights that depart in the evening and arrive in the morning. I'm not going to sleep on a flight that departs at 10:00 or 11:00 AM and arrives in the afternoon - I just woke up and I am going to sleep not long after I arrive.

Therefore, the food, beverages, entertainment, seat (not bed) comfort, and service all matter very much to me - as they would if I was staying in a hotel or eating in restaurants on vacation. When I am awake during the day, I eat every 4-6 hours, and I expect to do that when I am awake and flying. United is currently failing horribly on the food and beverage situation. I am at the point now where I will pack my own sandwich and snacks rather than face the food they are often serving. When I am paying several $K for a ticket, that is pathetic.
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I fly business class only for leisure - my employer would never pay for a business class ticket for me - only the top senior executives are allowed to fly business.

I only sleep on eastbound flights that depart in the evening and arrive in the morning. I'm not going to sleep on a flight that departs at 10:00 or 11:00 AM and arrives in the afternoon - I just woke up and I am going to sleep not long after I arrive.

Therefore, the food, beverages, entertainment, seat (not bed) comfort, and service all matter very much to me - as they would if I was staying in a hotel or eating in restaurants on vacation. When I am awake during the day, I eat every 4-6 hours, and I expect to do that when I am awake and flying. United is currently failing horribly on the food and beverage situation. I am at the point now where I will pack my own sandwich and snacks rather than face the food they are often serving. When I am paying several $K for a ticket, that is pathetic.
What about flights that depart in the AM and arrive in the AM?

(I do agree with your general point about the dissatisfying food & bev diminution vis a vis the just-for-sleep assumption built into UA service.)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Caviar and Krug don't hurt, but UA should at least keep up a minimal standard, something the waitress at a Denny's wouldn't be embarrassed to serve.

This is just not gonna happen at UA:

For us dreamers (or maybe would-be switchers!), can you please name the airline and year in the photo?!! At least we can get a vicarious thrill!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.