Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Old Mar 27, 19, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
One may take solace in the fact that AC, North America's only 4 star airline, is no better. The catering aboard my YYZ-FRA flight yesterday was pretty awful. The YYZ Signature Suite lounge, AC's equivalent to the Polaris Lounge, had relatively good catering, especially the lamb chops, but the service and space was mediocre.
I slightly disagree. I think AC's onboard experience, presentation, pride, and FA demeanor is consistently better than UA's in J. I agree that food is variable, though.

I like this thread. It's good discussion. I don't like that many of us (myself included) now tolerate UA and say "well at least the lounges are good and the Saks bedding w/ seat - just give me those and I'm fine". There's a real chance for a Nth American carrier to offer a premium end to end experience, and UA basically fails with onboard meals, service (frequently), check-in, transfers, arrivals lounges, and more. I'm not asking for a LH/LX first experience every time but at least try to aim for something similar in J that dials it back a bit but is market leading.

As silly as the accident-prone welcome PDB plastic glass was, with welcome chocolate, that was actually a nice touch (or at least an attempt at creating something special). Now we have radioactive blue plastic cups for a welcome drink. Premium...

Well, at least we have the Polaris lounges (at one end of the trip). Indeed.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I'm not asking for a LH/LX first experience every time but at least try to aim for something similar in J that dials it back a bit but is market leading.
Question is, would that make more money?
Sadly, the answer may very well be no, so there is no incentive for anyone at UA to put their neck out, and try to convince the shareholders that the necessary investment would actually pay off and be worthwhile.

Mediocracy is KING!
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Question is, would that make more money?
Sadly, the answer may very well be no, so there is no incentive for anyone at UA to put their neck out, and try to convince the shareholders that the necessary investment would actually pay off and be worthwhile.

Mediocracy is KING!
You're right - no, it wouldn't. Not in the Nth American aviation industry, and not when a UA FA in J can't handle the stress and arduous task of rolling a mimosa cart - while a TG FA in Y on an 747 from Bangkok-Phuket can feed the entire plane.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
However, I've had three flights on it since Feb 1 and they all feel like service is diminished. I can't pinpoint what exactly is the reason, maybe the galley changes mean fewer passenger-facing attendants during the service?, but it seems slower and more prone to omission of some minor service element (second bread, drink refill).
Could it possibly be that these FAs are now engaging in work-to-rule?

Maybe to show solidarity to their fellow FAs where numbers HAVE been cut....or maybe to thwart potential future cuts on the 77W?
Old Mar 27, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I slightly disagree. I think AC's onboard experience, presentation, pride, and FA demeanor is consistently better than UA's in J. I agree that food is variable, though.

I like this thread. It's good discussion. I don't like that many of us (myself included) now tolerate UA and say "well at least the lounges are good and the Saks bedding w/ seat - just give me those and I'm fine". There's a real chance for a Nth American carrier to offer a premium end to end experience, and UA basically fails with onboard meals, service (frequently), check-in, transfers, arrivals lounges, and more. I'm not asking for a LH/LX first experience every time but at least try to aim for something similar in J that dials it back a bit but is market leading.

As silly as the accident-prone welcome PDB plastic glass was, with welcome chocolate, that was actually a nice touch (or at least an attempt at creating something special). Now we have radioactive blue plastic cups for a welcome drink. Premium...

Well, at least we have the Polaris lounges (at one end of the trip). Indeed.
Have the domestic radioactive blue plastic cups already replaced the hard plastic tumblers that were rolled out in Polaris only last year?
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by st530 View Post

Have the domestic radioactive blue plastic cups already replaced the hard plastic tumblers that were rolled out in Polaris only last year?
Not on my recent flights to/from Asia in February and March of this year.
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: united
FWIW I just flew EWR-BCN in Polaris. The meal service was fast, and the Thai Chicken and Noodles was served in the big dish and was excellent. (Can't comment about the wine, because I don't drink on planes.) Everything was great, really.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Here's my perspective. I've been UA 1K for 8 of the past 10 years and I'm closing in on Million Miler status. But these are my last several long-hauls:

US to Brazil - Azul FLL-VCP instead of United
Australia to US - JAL SYD-NRT-DFW
Australia to US - Air New Zealand - SYD-AKL-LAX-ORD and return
Australia to US - Qantas SYD-DFW, return on Cathay ORD-HKG-SIN, then Qantas SIN-SYD (the Oneworld Circle the Pacific J fares are hard to beat)
Australia to US - Air Canada SYD-YVR-ORD and return
Australia to US - United SYD-SFO-ORD and return IAD-LAX-SYD
Australia to Colombia - United SYD-LAX then Avianca LAX-BOG; return Copa CTG-PTY-LAX then United LAX-SYD
US to Australia - Air New Zealand IAH-AKL-SYD

So you can see that I've been voting with my spend. I find the service on UA inconsistent. It's not universally terrible, but it's not universally great. Most of all, however, United always seems to have the highest prices on these routes, and that's what I've never been able to understand. UA's hard and soft J products simply do not warrant a premium fare. On all of these non-UA trips, the product and service have been at least as good and in many cases better than UA, with fares that are as much as 30%-40% lower or more. Azul, by the way, has an excellent hard and soft product, and the fare was under $4000 round trip when UA via IAD, ORD, or IAH were over $9,000. I know there are a lot of AC naysayers, but their product and service are just as good as UA, with fares consistently 15-20% lower between the US and Australia, convenient connections at YVR. NZ and JL are simply better than UA all around, and very frequently offer lower J fares than UA on the same routing. Can anyone explain why UA can seemingly get away with charging inflated fares for an inferior product?
Old Mar 28, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
. . . while a TG FA in Y on an 747 from Bangkok-Phuket can feed the entire plane.
Wow, one F/A by herself feeds the entire Y cabin on such a short flight?

That is indeed impressive.
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boofer View Post
Here's my perspective. I've been UA 1K for 8 of the past 10 years.........

....... Can anyone explain why UA can seemingly get away with charging inflated fares for an inferior product?
I posed a similar question further up this thread, although my perspective is that of someone just about to start flying long haul J with regularity who is comparing prices.
The 1 response I got was a guess that a large portion of people may prefer sticking with a US based carrier. Reasons unknown.

When I project my PQM/PQD numbers for the year I'm looking at around 40 domestic segments. I'll barely make UA Gold Status with that. If I decide to put 3+ long haul J trips on UA I'll cruise into Plat, possibly even 1K. I wonder if theres others like that who are aware theres better/cheaper options, but "suffer" UA to make their overall frequent flying experience/perks more worthwhile.
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Hit the LAX Polaris lounge this morning, followed with NH in J to NRT . . . I recommend this combination

btw, the mid-flight snack menu on NH includes a hot pasta, ham and cheese croissant, chicken teriyaki, a green salad, two soup options, or ramen. Gonna order the ramen as soon as I put the laptop down . . . .
Old Mar 28, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I find it interesting that there is a discussion about service OR “hard product.” It shouldn’t be an either/or. United has a good seat and bedding, now they should focus on making the on-board experience just as good.

Polaris, when it first launched, was a step in that direction. Now it has degraded into a low-quality experience, with sub-par food, wine and service. They no longer have the best J seat of the US3 and have never had the best soft product either. Don’t fall further behind, United.

United needs to look no father than their own partners, SQ or BR, for how to deliver good on-board service. Their FAs, meals, and small touches are night and day when compared to UA. If they only matched this (which, by the way, UA’s fares in competing markets are usually higher), they would be well on their way to overtaking DL as the airline Americans want to pay a premium to fly.
Boofer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777 View Post
I find it interesting that there is a discussion about service OR “hard product.” It shouldn’t be an either/or. United has a good seat and bedding, now they should focus on making the on-board experience just as good.

Polaris, when it first launched, was a step in that direction. Now it has degraded into a low-quality experience, with sub-par food, wine and service. They no longer have the best J seat of the US3 and have never had the best soft product either. Don’t fall further behind, United.

United needs to look no father than their own partners, SQ or BR, for how to deliver good on-board service. Their FAs, meals, and small touches are night and day when compared to UA. If they only matched this (which, by the way, UA’s fares in competing markets are usually higher), they would be well on their way to overtaking DL as the airline Americans want to pay a premium to fly.
Although I would love to see it, given the cultural and economic differences, I think it's a fool's errand to hope UA will model their service and soft product after any *A partner's.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Is it too much for UA to restore the pre-Polaris meal services?At least we got a noodle soup dish during mid-flight on transpac and also sandwiches and wraps for mid-flight snacks.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:54 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Hit the LAX Polaris lounge this morning, followed with NH in J to NRT . . . I recommend this combination

btw, the mid-flight snack menu on NH includes a hot pasta, ham and cheese croissant, chicken teriyaki, a green salad, two soup options, or ramen. Gonna order the ramen as soon as I put the laptop down . . . .
Sounds like a great combination.

Will combine Polaris lounge at LAX and LH F on the A380 to MUC in April.

I had the chicken teriyaki on NH before and it was pretty good. If you still get a chance to order it, it is a wonderful “side” with the ramen.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: