Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Old Mar 24, 19, 4:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Honestly, post 9/11, I can't say I am a huge fan of carving implements in the cabin.
Maybe UA should justify more cost-cutting measures.

In this post 9/11 era . . .
  • . . . we don't want to serve hot soup-- that could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . we don't want any glass in the cabin-- that could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . all plastic cutlery-- metal spoons could be used as a weapon.
  • . . . no more alcohol-- sober people cause less trouble in the sensitive environment of an airplane.
Can anyone else think of ways for UA to save money in this "post-9/11 era"?
iluv2fly and twomonger like this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget View Post
Iíve flown back and forth between New York and Hong Kong on a glut of carriers but usually take CX and UA whenever schedule allows. Itís hard to believe one only averages four hours of sleep on these ultra long haul flights unless one is crammed in a middle seat.
Even in Polaris Business on a Polarized 772 in a window seat on a HKG-ORD flight or in Polaris Business on a pmCO 772 in an aisle seat on a EWR-HKG flight my wife sleeps less than 4 hours. She cannot sleep on planes so on those flights she watches 5 movies and she gets some entertainment from the meals, and then some more entertainment going to the galley and talking to the FAs about their careers with United. Same thing for flights to PVG, PEK, FRA, MUC although for those she only has time for 4 or 3 movies. She has been flying international long haul for 58 years and that has been 58 years that she has not been able to sleep on a plane.
elg26 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL 1.6MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Even in Polaris Business on a Polarized 772 in a window seat on a HKG-ORD flight or in Polaris Business on a pmCO 772 in an aisle seat on a EWR-HKG flight my wife sleeps less than 4 hours. She cannot sleep on planes so on those flights she watches 5 movies and she gets some entertainment from the meals, and then some more entertainment going to the galley and talking to the FAs about their careers with United. Same thing for flights to PVG, PEK, FRA, MUC although for those she only has time for 4 or 3 movies. She has been flying international long haul for 58 years and that has been 58 years that she has not been able to sleep on a plane.
That is impressive (the 58 years of flying international long haul).

Miss Widget is jealous of my ability to close my eyes for a moment and fall asleep without difficulty anywhere we go while it takes her 15-20 minutes to do so.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, BA Gold
As long as UA is willing to compete on cost, they can get away with sub-par soft product. But Iím happy to fly on other carriersí business class when they are cheaper, because the seats are pretty much the same, and Iíll know Iím going to get better food and, unless there is a Polaris lounge around, better lounges.
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Considering I've been in the HNL UC at least 200 times at lunch periods I've never considered the chips and salsa and pretzels to be much more elaborate than other UC's. Heck, the LAX club I was at last week had a far better spread than I've ever seen at HNL.
You're forgetting the guac and chili rice.

For those of us used to SFO, it's like heaven.
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K
Ironic timing that I just saw this thread, as I just did a SFO-HKG C flight yesterday and I had a similar thought en route. I'm definitely one of the ones that its all about the seat and sleep, but the other parts like food should at a minimum not detract from the experience.

After the hundreds of long haul int'l trips I've done like most of us here, I'm of the attitude that no matter how good the in flight food is, its still an airline meal. So, usually I'll grab a meal on the ground first, either in the PL or in the city I'm coming from. The flight for me is all about a couple of drinks after take off and then sleep. I'm one of the ones that can and do sleep for 10-12+ hours on a flight as its one of the rare times I'm not dealing with phone calls, kids, etc. So, I go out of my way to fly on the new Polaris seats if I'm going UA because I want the seat. For example this week, I flew BOS-SFO-HKG vs via EWR or ORD just for the seat.

That said......on yesterday's flight, I had a ton of work to do instead of sleeping, so I had lunch in the PL and then declined the in flight meal to work instead. 5 or 6 hours into the flight, I was getting hungry so when a FA stopped by I asked her if I could have one of the cup of noodles from the "anytime you want them snacks". Her response was a terse "no, you can't have any of the snacks for another two hours". Instead of an argument, I laughed, said "ok" and went back to work. Another FA overheard it, took her aside, and a few minutes later my noodles showed up.

Not a big deal to me, but it was a good reminder of their crazy short sighted perspective......I paid close to $9,000 for my ticket, but getting a $0.69 cup of noodles that they are offering "any time" on their own service menu, was apparently too much of a hassle for her and didn't fall into her plans. Thanks for the reminder of your priorities UA......
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:07 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You're forgetting the guac and chili rice.

For those of us used to SFO, it's like heaven.
I love guacamole and I've somehow missed it all these times at the HNL UC. I have to look into that. That can't be a regular item.

Not a big Chili or rice fan - so I'll assume it is there and I just skip it.
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:32 am

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
I have never seen guac at the HNL UC. Granted I don't go there often...a few times this past year.
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
As long as UA is willing to compete on cost, they can get away with sub-par soft product.
Cost - I'm assuming you mean the cost of a ticket.

While many people have their ticket paid by a 3rd party when flying in J, some of us (including myself) don't have that luxury. Being a middle-class one-income family with 2 kids, we consider ourselves lucky that we can afford to fly in J when we travel long haul once every 1 or 2 years (without the kiddos). That said, I'll definitely take the sub-par food and beverage service if it keeps prices in the range that we can afford to fly in J and enjoy the comfort.

Thinking about this from a business perspective, I can't see how UA finds it more profitable to sell tickets for between $500.00 and $1,000.00 less (rough numbers) when they are saving maybe $25.00 to $50.00 per head on food costs. ** I'm assuming that airlines with a superior product charge more, no factual basis ** Unlike Y customers, J customers are not very price sensitive.
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm surprised SQ and BR didn't do a better job negotiating at SFO, because the food options in the Polaris Lounge are pathetic, particularly late at night when the bulk of the BR/SQ pax are there ...
I am surprised that SQ (and BR) are mentioned repeatedly in this thread (not necessarily by you) as role models when it comes to lounges. Both are great in flight (except for some SQ J seats), but their lounges, particularly at their hubs, are hardly anything to write home about. In my book, the BR lounges at TPE are fairly mediocre and the SQ lounges at SIN are all, from SilverKris Gold all the way to the ĄPrivate Roomď, a step down from comparable same-level lounges of many competitors or partner airlines.
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:31 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bostonpilot View Post

After the hundreds of long haul int'l trips I've done like most of us here, I'm of the attitude that no matter how good the in flight food is, its still an airline meal. So, usually I'll grab a meal on the ground first, either in the PL or in the city I'm coming from. The flight for me is all about a couple of drinks after take off and then sleep..
The problem is that for longer flights that can be rather long without food. Many people don't have time or are not organized enough to plan for a meal in airport before boarding. Some of us don't hang around airports and arrive airport 60 to 90 mins prior to departure.

So to play that out, one is flying from say NRT to EWR. Has lunch at 12.30. Has couple meetings and leaves for airport 3.00 pm. Gets to airport at 4.00. Check in, security. In crowded lounge at 4.40. Boards plane 17.00. Wheels up at 18.15. Now it's 5 hours since last meal. Put Polaris seat flat 19:00 and sleep 10 hours (for few who can sleep that long). Wake up. Now 16 hours from last meal. Land two hours later. Now 18h from last meal. Then another 45 mins going through airport. If you live in area then home in an hour or so. At this point 19 to 20 hours from last real meal. If on other hand you are connecting to FLL or so with tight connection you run plane to plane and by time home in Florida it is 25 to 26h since your last real meal. It is too long an interval for many not to rely on airline food ( or food they take into airplane). We often consider only duration of flight but there is much more.
cerealmarketer and phkc070408 like this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Maybe if UA had to close their lounge to make room for the Silverkris, like United did with Polaris..

But I doubt it, I think PL is just a competitive reaction to AAís Flagship lounges stepping up. Next up will be Delta One lounges - maybe?

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Why is there this idea that *A partners are telling UA what to do with their J lounge? Does this actually happen?

And in the reciprocal, does UA tell SQ to step up the soup in their SIN Silverkris lounge??
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
Cost - I'm assuming you mean the cost of a ticket.
Thinking about this from a business perspective, I can't see how UA finds it more profitable to sell tickets for between $500.00 and $1,000.00 less (rough numbers) when they are saving maybe $25.00 to $50.00 per head on food costs. ** I'm assuming that airlines with a superior product charge more, no factual basis ** Unlike Y customers, J customers are not very price sensitive.
Depends on the route, depends on the season. Hainan offers a far better food and service product (with a worse seat) from ORD to PEK that can be had for $300 less than UA.
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
..::but where is the Polaris Lounge at IAD or at international destinations? If UA want me to eat before I board and sleep during the flights, make it consistent PL offerings throughout the hub airports and offer decend lounges for us to eat at international destinations. Otherwise give us better catering on inbound flights.

UA should advise its business class passengers to get to the airports extra early if they want to be fed with decent food or provide bags/containers for take out at the lounge before boarding

Seriously, are we saying it is ok for UA not to offer both the nice comfortable seats and decent catering at the same time?

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 25, 19 at 9:16 am
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 2P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold; Hertz Pres; Hyatt Plat
Iíve only flown J internationally on one trip (and it wasnít on UA), so sure my opinion comes with a grain of salt. And most of my plain old domestic F upgrades come out of my own pocket or occasionally Iím lucky with a CPU, but someday hopefully will pay for a Polaris trip via miles or cash with family.

All I would want is consistency, whether itís J or F. If UA advertises something (food, anytime snacks or express dining, wine, PJs, bedding, etc), I want to reasonably expect it is available rather than play a guessing game. Any given soft product aspect shouldnít have to be a secret, or something an FA chooses to not offer or make available because they donít feel like it or have a bad day. Especially since Iím not up front all that often to just shrug it off because thereís ďanother trip around the corner.Ē

Yes, Iíd fall into wanting to experience and expect a decent premium soft product camp, rather than solely a decent seat/bed. Or rather, I donít want to have ďzero expectations so UA could only impress me.Ē

ATLintheair likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: