Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Old Mar 23, 19, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
I donít eat for entertainment.
You must not be ...
I was going to think American, but then realized it isn't just Americans who eat for entertainment. Practically everybody I know eats for entertainment.
Old Mar 23, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
How many passengers can sleep 14 hours? TPAC flights are extremely long. I doubt many people can sleep more than 10 hours. That leaves 4 hours of ... torture?
I leave in a week on EWR-HKG for almost 16 hours...im excited for the 1-2-1 and the.Polaris experience...including food and drink..... a disappointing decline in these services would seriously disappointment me ...especially since I only average 4 hours sleep on these flights...
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Miler, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elg26 View Post
I leave in a week on EWR-HKG for almost 16 hours...im excited for the 1-2-1 and the.Polaris experience...including food and drink..... a disappointing decline in these services would seriously disappointment me ...especially since I only average 4 hours sleep on these flights...
I doubt you'll get a Polaris seat on that route. That is operated by CO aircraft, and they have only reconfigured one 777.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS View Post
I doubt you'll get a Polaris seat on that route. That is operated by CO aircraft, and they have only reconfigured one 777.
EWR-HKG has been switched to 773ER.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post

EWR-HKG has been switched to 773ER.
I just flew EWR-HKG this week on a pmCO 777-200. Is this a very recent development?
Coming back I am going HKG->ORD. Really hope it stays the 3 cabin pmUA 777-200 so I can sit in the Global First seat one last time...

For those saying all about the sleep, it would help if the mid-cabin galley didn't turn into gossip / party central mid-flight, with frequent interruptions for banging carts around.

The cutbacks were VERY noticeable this week. The cutbacks in staff were especially evident on FA service. They were hustling, but just understaffed.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Why is there this idea that *A partners are telling UA what to do with their J lounge? Does this actually happen?

And in the reciprocal, does UA tell SQ to step up the soup in their SIN Silverkris lounge??
Because SQ strives for excellence.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
Because SQ strives for excellence.
Too bad they flubbed the seat.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
I just flew EWR-HKG this week on a pmCO 777-200. Is this a very recent development?
Coming back I am going HKG->ORD. Really hope it stays the 3 cabin pmUA 777-200 so I can sit in the Global First seat one last time...
EWR-HKG is still a 772 but switching to 77W on 3/30
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
I don’t eat for entertainment.
Entertainment is what's needed to pass the time on long TPAC flights. Eating a meal is my favorite method of precisely that.

Even UA, at least in the old days when I first flew them, got this right - offering three different course timing options on their longhaul first class service.
elynchking and twomonger like this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL 1.6MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by elg26 View Post
Iíve flown back and forth between New York and Hong Kong on a glut of carriers but usually take CX and UA whenever schedule allows. Itís hard to believe one only averages four hours of sleep on these ultra long haul flights unless one is crammed in a middle seat.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL 1.6MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by strife View Post
Entertainment is what's needed to pass the time on long TPAC flights. Eating a meal is my favorite method of precisely that.

Even UA, at least in the old days when I first flew them, got this right - offering three different course timing options on their longhaul first class service.
What I really miss is the good old days of CO BusinessFirst service where they actually got the catering down to the smallest details including a sushi appetizer platter on the Newark to Tokyo flights.
elitefreak, Air Houston and benewr like this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:28 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by feobrien View Post
I agree with elitefreak. The experience needs to be consistent from the time you enter the airport until you jump in a taxi at your final destination. I disagree with the comments that the logistics are more difficult on the plane than in the lounge - yes, they are but that is no excuse. Full service is achievable as demonstrated by other airlines and even United/Continental in the past. I remember the days of food being "prepared" on the cart in the aisle. Beef being carved, vegetables being dished out etc. as opposed to a full plate just being presented. That's what first/ business class was like - so it can be done. Yes people want to sleep on planes, but some don't and having paid for the experience of business class should receive it. Let's stop thinking it is OK to downgrade business class service. IT IS NOT.
Honestly, post 9/11, I can't say I am a huge fan of carving implements in the cabin.
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:31 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
I have a somewhat related question. Hopefully not too off topic. Why is there such a disconnect between UA prices and some of their competitors?

I'm not sure if this is typical. I'm a noob only just starting to book long haul J for work. I'm finding that UA is often twice as expensive as the next cheapest option (e.g. Air Canada) when looking at ex-EWR or ex-IAD itineraries to APAC.
This is purely a guess, but I suspect there are a not insignificant number of passengers out there who prefer flying US carriers, and that US carriers exploit that by charging a premium in some situations.
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA
Let's think about this from another angle.

What would be the ideal business class experience?
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:38 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While most of us, including myself, book in J for comfort, Food is a great way to get good reviews and make a lasting impression (or lack of). Food alters people's minds and they are a lot happier after a good meal. I am living proof of this - just ask my wife. She says that I am a lot less grumpy and complain a lot less after a good meal. That said, quality food in a premium cabin is a great way to give people a good impression about the airline and could be a factor when deciding whether to be a repeat customer or not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: