Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by gmt4
Every time I'm on an overbooked flight and there are offers to fly later for a voucher its a scenario where I have to get where I'm going so its a no-go for me. Every. Time.
If this is any consolation, most of the time when I volunteer they end up not needing the seat(s) so I am one of the last to board so can be a bear trying to put the carryon in the overhead. Most of the time, IME, when they ask for volunteers the seats are not needed. Although I have a had a couple of nice vouchers.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
This happened last year to some of my travel party on an award trip from to SFO from the East Coast with an LAS connection. $7000 each to take a later flight LAS to SFO. Presidents Day weekend..must have had some high rollers needing to get to SFO. Most I’ve ever gotten is $1K HNL-EWR overbook..two days in a row last Christmas.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
That really was a stupendous offer, and I would have taken it. The best I've ever gotten was $950 for an 18 hour delay on EWR-CDG. Had one more cheesesteak in Jersey before switching to moules marinieres in France. Win-Win.
benewr likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Does UA really treat these vouchers as cash for PQD purposes? That's amazing if that's the case.
DL does with theirs. I've never taken a UA voucher so wouldn't know definitively, but see no reason why they would do it differently.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Does UA really treat these vouchers as cash for PQD purposes? That's amazing if that's the case.
Yes, these vouchers count towards PQD - $1,000 will usually coax me out of my seat (and most others).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Yes, these vouchers count towards PQD - $1,000 will usually coax me out of my seat (and most others).
while they count towards PQD I would doubt they count towards GS qualification
lixiaojuventus and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JNelson113
They can be used over and over, and one year.
Probably worth noting that they must be redeemed within a year, but that can be done for bookings beyond the one-year anniversary of issue. I have a trip coming up in June that was partially funded by a cert from the Jan/Feb '18 timeframe.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I have family members helping me reach $25k card spend. I'm gold and they're silver/general. So if I were to get such a voucher, it'll pretty much go their way to make one of them gold (I can't fly that many PQM). And after one RT long-haul in revenue J, there maybe some value left for me to buy a one-way J. Wow that's a lot to consider if I ever hear such an offer onboard: my travel plan for the rest of the year, and theirs. (e.g. $5k bad, $7k good). Lots of calculations to run in the head!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jp12687

I don't know... They're treated as a cash form of payment for fari g purposes. If GS looks at -ticket value spend- (e g.value of used tickets) vs "inbound cash" ($$$ charged to any CC and attached to the flyer's MP account) I-- which I think it does -- I don't think they can peel that out separately.

Previous reports are that ORC credits don't count toward GS which would support that assumption (since it's not $ attached to a ticket)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Which is why the VDB system benefits those who are sophisticated about it. No easy way around that at the gate or onboard.
is there a thread/wiki on here, or a page on UA's website, that can provide all the details of it for those of us who are unfamiliar?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
is there a thread/wiki on here, or a page on UA's website, that can provide all the details of it for those of us who are unfamiliar?
Try Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018] where this thread will eventually be merged
and
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ty-policy.html

However, offers in >$1,000 are unicorns (hence the activity of this thread). most will never be in a position to grab one but $300- $700 while still very rare are more common.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't know... They're treated as a cash form of payment for fari g purposes. If GS looks at -ticket value spend- (e g.value of used tickets) vs "inbound cash" ($$$ charged to any CC and attached to the flyer's MP account) I-- which I think it does -- I don't think they can peel that out separately.

Previous reports are that ORC credits don't count toward GS which would support that assumption (since it's not $ attached to a ticket)
The GS member does not have to use the voucher on him or herself - they can use it for a family member or friend - my guess is a majority of GS members would jump at a $5,000 offer if they were able to do so.....
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The GS member does not have to use the voucher on him or herself - they can use it for a family member or friend - my guess is a majority of GS members would jump at a $5,000 offer if they were able to do so.....
correct I typically use my vouchers on my wife.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
UA isn't that sophisticated. In general, UA PQD count for GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.