Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you were travelling as a family, ditching your spouse and your kids isn't about security. I'm sure the spouse can handle it. I'm not sure they want to.
(I do know one couple where the husband flies solo, often getting upgraded in the process, and wife meets him there with the 2 kids. Miserable for the wife).
My wife would divorce me if I DIDN'T take the $$$

(then again we don't have kids, so that may change the equation a bit)
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which, for many (most?) us wouldn't matter because we don't all have unlimited time to travel.
Speak for yourself..
Even if you just used that for weekend domestic travel, a voucher in that amount that would be a huge benefit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 1:55 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the posters(s)
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I don't know what I'd do with a $7,000 voucher. I probably couldn't bring myself to blow it all on a single full-fare F itinerary to some far flung location. At the same time, I couldn't possibly spend $7k over the course of a year on leisure travel in Y.

If it were cash, then it'd be a completely different ballgame. We recently bought a new house and there's so much we could do with $7k...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
If you were travelling as a family, ditching your spouse and your kids isn't about security. I'm sure the spouse can handle it. I'm not sure they want to.
(I do know one couple where the husband flies solo, often getting upgraded in the process, and wife meets him there with the 2 kids. Miserable for the wife).
Depends-- my wife and I have no (human) children, which may irrevocably change the equation anyway -- but I'm an aviation geek who will take the scenic route for a new aircraft type/interesting airport/whatever -- on our way back from our first anniversary trip to Tokyo last year we flew NRT-ICN-SFO-CLE so I could get my butt in business on an Asiana A380 and A350XWB and check out ICN. She grudgingly went with me since it wasn't "that far" out of the way.

A couple days before we were due to return I was looking at other options and we could have done (IIRC) NRT-ICN-IST-FRA-EWR-CLE, again all in Business, turning it into a true round-the-world trip, and adding a few (different) new aircraft and airlines to my list, and no additional cost... awesome, right?!? Right? Who wouldn't want to do that?

Apparently a relatively normal human -- Her response? "If you want to do that I'll meet you back home..."
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:51 pm
pxm

There has to be more to this story. Chicago Public Schools (CPS) do not go on spring break until 15 April. There are, however, some public schools in the Chicago suburbs that did start spring break on 22 March.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Could this have been an offer to displace a FC passenger for an oversold FC? Would make more sense if it was.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by pxm
There has to be more to this story. Chicago Public Schools (CPS) do not go on spring break until 15 April. There are, however, some public schools in the Chicago suburbs that did start spring break on 22 March.
Spring break stretches across 3 weeks in this area. People tak about it as though it’s a single, finite week. This is not the case.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by onthesam

Interestingly short UG list...

Assuming this doesn't reflect the actual list on this route -- In this scenario would FLO, T have been the last pax to get on (displacing the F pax who volunteered) or a battlefield upgrade with the GA taking the time to re-seat FLO, T and then seat the last to board in FLO, T's old Y seat?
The man & wife where the husband accepted the $7000 were sitting in 3E/3F. I think the newcomer was seated immediately in that seat, rather than a battlefield upgrade being granted.
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Spring break stretches across 3 weeks in this area. People tak about it as though it’s a single, finite week. This is not the case.
Fair point, although I thought that most of the suburbs coalesced towards the same week. Maybe not.

At any rate - the flight seemed to consist almost entirely of families, as one might expect on a Saturday morning to a warm-weather destination on the day after school ended for spring break in (a material fraction of) the metro area. This likely explains the lack of uptake for the original $5000 offer.

The part that really confused me sitting on the plane was, how is it possible this issue only came to light after the entire flight was boarded? Somebody upstream said something to address that point but I didn’t really follow what they were saying.
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Could this have been an offer to displace a FC passenger for an oversold FC? Would make more sense if it was.
No. While the passenger who accepted the offer happened to be in FC, the offer was made to the entire plane.
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 1:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by rowenb

No. While the passenger who accepted the offer happened to be in FC, the offer was made to the entire plane.
Most probably the offer was first made to the person that later boarded. I am just shocked he/she did not accept the $5000 offer!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:17 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TommyD2
My wife would divorce me if I DIDN'T take the $$$

(then again we don't have kids, so that may change the equation a bit)
My wife was pushing me out of a row 1 seat on a E175 last year, and we had our 2 and 4 year-olds in tow, when the GA came on and asked for volunteers. I soooooooo wanted the voucher, but I wouldn’t leave them. By the time my wife convinced me, someone else stepped up...And this was “only” $1200. $5K-$7K, I know how my wife feels now, I wouldn’t even ask her now and I’d be off the plane.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by B747forever
Most probably the offer was first made to the person that later boarded. I am just shocked he/she did not accept the $5000 offer!
Very easy. They know UA can now offer up to $10k and if they start out with 5k then something is really dire. Can just as well hold out for a couple grand more especially if you sit in First and can keep an eye on whats happening in the back. If someone gets up just be the first to reach the door / GA.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Very easy. They know UA can now offer up to $10k and if they start out with 5k then something is really dire.
No way. Most pax have no clue that UA's ceiling is $10k. On a given flight, there could well be zero passengers aware of that.

If people aren't taking $5k, it's because they really want to stay on that aircraft. Personally I'd be out of my seat like I'd been shot out of a gun.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am going to start taking the last flight of the day more now
This was actually a noon (11:30 a.m.) departure .......

Originally Posted by rowenb
The man & wife where the husband accepted the $7000 were sitting in 3E/3F. I think the newcomer was seated immediately in that seat, rather than a battlefield upgrade being granted.
rowenb, were you not tempted to jump on this offer?
You sure would have made big FT News!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
No way. Most pax have no clue that UA's ceiling is $10k. On a given flight, there could well be zero passengers aware of that.

If people aren't taking $5k, it's because they really want to stay on that aircraft. Personally I'd be out of my seat like I'd been shot out of a gun.
Maybe no one believed that the GA would actually pay $5000.
benewr likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe no one believed that the GA would actually pay $5000.
There was probably a contingent of those. Does sound too good to be true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.