Wiki Posts
Search

DCA-LAX nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
DCA-LAX nonstop

Is UA looking to get one of these slots at any point? Potential Premium Transcon route?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Is UA looking to get one of these slots at any point? Potential Premium Transcon route?
Doesn't DL already serve that route?

Eta: AA and As also?
Yaddablahblah likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As DCA is slot and perimeter controlled, UA would have to eliminate some other flight and also trade or obtain another out-of-perimeter. UA's slot to SFO makes more sense because of the connections to Asia and other hub connections.

For UA, SFO makes sense. For LAX, it is better served xIAD because it gets all of the European inbound on its own metal + *A.

None of UA's x WAS service is included in its premium brand (check xIAD).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
UA's slot to SFO makes more sense because of the connections to Asia and other hub connections.
I would say it makes sense because UA can make a lot more money flying to its captive hub at SFO, than it can to LAX, which is one of the most competitive markets in the country.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I fly Delta One on this route. I’ll consider AA on their 737 going eastbound only, but there has to be a big discount for no flatbed. I wouldn’t hold my breath on UA bringing ps to this route.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Doesn't DL already serve that route?
If so, the FT CW says that United will soon follow. @:-)
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Fun fact: the existing DCA-DEN route is outside the perimeter, by 36 miles.

The existing DCA-SFO route, of course, is way over.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kale73
If so, the FT CW says that United will soon follow. @:-)
That's only for frequent flyer program cuts. Not routes or in-flight services.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
When DCA-LAX was first made available, the Gov't would not give the route to either UA or AA. AS got it. But later AA was able to get one LAX route. When US and AA merged, then AA took the DCA-SAN and converted it to a 2nd DCA-LAX and also dropped one its IAD-LAX flights (unrelated - but UA has the market on IAD flights).

With DL getting one, UA likely needs a DCA-LAX flight. Currently UA has DCA-SFO and DCA-DEN using 757-300s - largest plane of out DCA.

The DCA-LAX flights are always full.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I fly Delta One on this route.
So, does DL offer their premium TCON product servicing DCA-LAX on a regular basis?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So, does DL offer their premium TCON product servicing DCA-LAX on a regular basis?
Yes
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Since April 2017

Last edited by anc-ord772; Mar 24, 2019 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am sure there are plenty of folks who would prefer DCA to IAD particularly if the timing was right for business travel (I.e. SFO recently adjusted westbound from am to pm which allows you to get almost a full work day in DC then return home in time to sleep and get a full day following).

The SFO<-> DCA flight is a godsend for those of us who are heading to downtown DC and despise IAD. Easily saves me an hour when arriving or departing during evening rush hour. Plus cheap taxi to DC or just hop in metro. Flying it again in a week and wish this was 2-3x daily.

Also so interesting but I often find better fares into DCA than IAD maybe due to better competition. Used to be the reverse when nobody wanted to use IAD. So DCA is a win-win for me.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am sure there are plenty of folks who would prefer DCA to IAD particularly if the timing was right for business travel (I.e. SFO recently adjusted westbound from am to pm which allows you to get almost a full work day in DC then return home in time to sleep and get a full day following).

The SFO<-> DCA flight is a godsend for those of us who are heading to downtown DC and despise IAD. Easily saves me an hour when arriving or departing during evening rush hour. Plus cheap taxi to DC or just hop in metro. Flying it again in a week and wish this was 2-3x daily.

Also so interesting but I often find better fares into DCA than IAD maybe due to better competition. Used to be the reverse when nobody wanted to use IAD. So DCA is a win-win for me.

I think people only prefer IAD to DCA when they are connecting internationally, or maybe if they live in Tyson's Corner or something. For DC proper there's no contest.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I think people only prefer IAD to DCA when they are connecting internationally, or maybe if they live in Tyson's Corner or something. For DC proper there's no contest.
While agreeing that those in DC much prefer DCA, the population of Fairfax County alone is 2x DC. And from a business point of view, NOVA is a pretty significant area (it just depends what business you are in).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.