Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to AMTRAK at EWR - How much Connetcion Time?

Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

I will be flying LHR-EWR then AMTRAK to Philadelphia. I will have carry on and have Global Entry. My flight arrives at 1:05 PM. How much connection time should I leave ? 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, 3 hours?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
With Global Entry you should be able to do it in 90 minutes but if you want to be extra safe plan for two hours, but I doubt you’ll need the extra time unless the air train is acting up (it sometimes does and there’s some delays)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
An hour would be plenty if all goes smoothly.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
I always seem to miss the EWR - ZFV train, no matter how much buffer there is. Why is that?
drewguy, Repooc17, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
If you’re actually planning to take the train, I’d give it two hours. I just did this the other day and 90 mins was enough, but barely. Depends on your tolerance for stress, IMO.

The airtrain seems to take forever to get to the Amtrak station. Really prob only 20-30 mins depending on whether you have to wait for the train, but you don’t know if it will be broken, full, etc.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If you're arriving on a weekday, Train 649 which leaves EWR at 1505 should be doable. This train originates in New York, so there hasn't been much time for things to go wrong. The next train is 173 which leaves EWR at 1558. This train originates in Boston. While it has traveled more miles, which gives it more opportunity for it to have lost time, this train is usually relatively close to on time. I might recommend making your reservation for 173 to be safe and see if you can change to 649 if you get to the rail station early.

On weekends, your options are 161 at 1427 (probably too close for comfort) and 71(Sat)87(Sun) at 1526. 71/87 is probably your safer bet.

If I'm reading the below picture right, it looks like all Amtrak tickets are changeable even at the last minute, so you have nothing to loose by booking the later trains and changing to the earlier trains if seats are available.

BTW, are you going to purchase your Amtrak separate from your United ticket, or through from LHR to ZFV (30th Street Station) using Amtrak as a codeshare from EWR to PHL? You should definitely look into this. While I'm not sure how they handle this, I'm sure you would be protected in the event of a misconnect due to a late arriving plane. Also, there is always the possibility that the fare will be cheaper.

Another option is to just book LHR-PHL. I guess the only connection is in ORD, but you can take Septa Regional Rail (commuter railroad) direct from the Airport to any in Central Philadelphia. These are 30th Street Station (Amtrak) Suburban Station (15th and JFK Boulevard) and Jefferson Station (10th and Market Streets).

One final note, if you are traveling to/from Suburban Station or Jefferson Station, your Amtrak ticket is good on Septa commuter Rail between 30th Street and these two stations. Just show the guard at the turnstile your Amtrak e-tickets (paper on on your phone) and they will buzz you through.

Oh, and sorry for the lengthy post, but I am extremely knowledgable of the passenger railroads in the NE portion of the USA.

goodeats21 and MTan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:49 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
If OP misses the "connection", he can just take the next train as long as it's on a single ticket, correct?

LAX
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If OP is booked through to ZFV, it would be like any other missconnect where they get a confirmed seat on the next flight (train) with an available seat. Amtrak trains do require reservations between NY and PHL and I can guarantee that if the conductor scans the ticket and he is on the wrong train, the Cndr will charge him a new ticket. Also, if there is onward travel, (return to LHR) the ticket will cancel just like missing a UA or airline codeshare segment.

The Amtrak trains are treated exactly the same way as any other codeshare flight is as far as misconnects and missing segments goes.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Which cabin? If in J, then you should be landside at EWR within 10 minutes with GE and no luggage.

I, too, have always "missed" my connection to ZFV
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Thanks for the information. I am going for the 2 hour connection. This is a revenue ticket. The agent could not find a connection for ZFV. The supervisor said it does not exist anymore. I tried looking for a MP ticket with ZFV and for months could not find it. One more cutting of Philly, since they cut flights PHL-IAD the only way around it by air is through ORD and that adds a lot to the fare
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
The agent could not find a connection for ZFV. The supervisor said it does not exist anymore. I tried looking for a MP ticket with ZFV and for months could not find it. One more cutting of Philly, since they cut flights PHL-IAD the only way around it by air is through ORD and that adds a lot to the fare
That doesn't sound right. I just did a search yesterday (for May travel) and ZFV-EWR-XXX came up as an option.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Thanks for the information. I am going for the 2 hour connection. This is a revenue ticket. The agent could not find a connection for ZFV. The supervisor said it does not exist anymore. I tried looking for a MP ticket with ZFV and for months could not find it. One more cutting of Philly, since they cut flights PHL-IAD the only way around it by air is through ORD and that adds a lot to the fare
I just bought a ZFV ticket. And it even comes up as UAX .... should be very easy to book. Strange. 90 mins is enough IMO, but it also is the minimum UA will sell.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
With Global Entry at EWR there is normally no line to speak of at immigration. Customs you normally just walk up too. Between opening the doors and being landside it shouldn't take you more than 15-30 minutes > then getting the the train station ..... I think 1h should be realistic (+/- 30 minutes for stuff).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MM
For reference, my wife and I made it from the door opening on our arriving flight at JFK T4 to the United check in desk at LGA (with waiting for luggage at T4) in 55 minutes or even a little less. These horror stories about making an Amtrak connection at EWR are overblown, IMHO.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For reference, my wife and I made it from the door opening on our arriving flight at JFK T4 to the United check in desk at LGA (with waiting for luggage at T4) in 55 minutes or even a little less. These horror stories about making an Amtrak connection at EWR are overblown, IMHO.
But why is a story about JFK or LGA relevant to an EWR-specific question? Unless you think that all NYC-area airports are laid out the same, which they certainly are not

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.