Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I use UA miles, cash, combo, or a package? SFO-HNL-KOA-SFO Itin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello Everyone!

I haven't planned a multi-city vacation in a while so I'm a little out of the loop. I would've preferred to go SFO-SJU San Juan Puerto Rico for our vacation since it's so much cheaper both with the airfare (miles/paid), lodging, and beautiful beaches, but my hubby wants to go to the Big Island and Oahu for his birthday.

I have access to either 400,000 United miles or 400,000 Ultimate Rewards Points or just pay for the ticket or do a combo of both. It's for his birthday so I wanted to try to book First. For SJU I could get it for 70K each way per person and all lie flat through EWR or around $640 per person each way. But Hawaii is so much more expensive....and it's closer to us here in SF. Go figure.

We're looking to leave on July 20th SFO-HNL, July 24th HNL-KOA, then July 27th KOA-SFO

What would you do if you were me? My option is below:

1) Just pay for the ticket SFO-HNL-KOA-SFO for around $1,592 each (in First all legs)

2) Use 75,000 Ultimate rewards points to reduce that to $2,059

3) Use miles SFO-HNL ranging from 68k-78k one way per person? (I was just thinking of just doing SFO-HNL in First to make it special then coach for the rest of the legs)

At this point I'm not willing to spend 78k-90k miles each person for one way from KOA-SFO since it's not lie flat and, even if we go back to HNL to get on the 777 HNL-SFO, I still don't think that's worth 90K each person one way.

If none of the options above, do you think I'd get a better deal just doing a package? Even if just SFO-HNL in First?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

M.

Last edited by SFnFlaGuy; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:20 am Reason: corrected departure date to July 20th
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
Hello Everyone!

I haven't planned a multi-city vacation in a while so I'm a little out of the loop. I would've preferred to go SFO-SJU San Juan Puerto Rico for our vacation since it's so much cheaper both with the airfare (miles/paid), lodging, and beautiful beaches, but my hubby wants to go to the Big Island and Oahu for his birthday.

I have access to either 400,000 United miles or 400,000 Ultimate Rewards Points or just pay for the ticket or do a combo of both. It's for his birthday so I wanted to try to book First. For SJU I could get it for 70K each way per person and all lie flat through EWR or around $640 per person each way. But Hawaii is so much more expensive....and it's closer to us here in SF. Go figure.

We're looking to leave on July 27th SFO-HNL, July 24th HNL-KOA, then July 27th KOA-SFO

What would you do if you were me? My option is below:

1) Just pay for the ticket SFO-HNL-KOA-SFO for around $1,592 each (in First all legs)

2) Use 75,000 Ultimate rewards points to reduce that to $2,059
I would do 1 or 1 and 2. That price isn't bad for high season in Hawaii.

The reason SJU is priced lower - it is brutally humid that time of year - and high hurricane risk.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I would do 1 or 1 and 2. That price isn't bad for high season in Hawaii.

The reason SJU is priced lower - it is brutally humid that time of year - and high hurricane risk.
This. It's not cheap, but it's not crazy either. Don't use the miles if you're getting around 1c for them -- if you don't want to use cash just use the UR points at 1.5c each.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You need to fix your travel dates. You have 27th for departure to HNL and return to SFO
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
This. It's not cheap, but it's not crazy either. Don't use the miles if you're getting around 1c for them -- if you don't want to use cash just use the UR points at 1.5c each.
Thanks Everyone for the replies! Yes that's what I figured.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You need to fix your travel dates. You have 27th for departure to HNL and return to SFO
Thanks for pointing that out. I've corrected it to July 20th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.