Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX (Swiss) Phantom Award Space

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Just booked Swissair SFO to MUC early April in biz (70000 miles) and the reservation went thru, CC shows pending charge but it says on the my trip page:

Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing.

We'll email you when your reservation has been ticketed.

does it take longer to ticket with Swiss or am I a victim of the phantom inventory?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vielflieger
Just booked Swissair SFO to MUC early April in biz (70000 miles) and the reservation went thru, CC shows pending charge but it says on the my trip page:

Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing.

We'll email you when your reservation has been ticketed.

does it take longer to ticket with Swiss or am I a victim of the phantom inventory?
It can take a little longer, but usually not much. Swiss tends to confirm pretty quickly. Does it show confirmed on Swiss.com ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
It can take a little longer, but usually not much. Swiss tends to confirm pretty quickly. Does it show confirmed on Swiss.com ?
Yes, shows confirmed on swiss.com in I with seat assignments. My CC has been charged (pending) but no miles deducted yet, guess I will wait a couple days and see what happens before I call
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, shows confirmed on swiss.com in I with seat assignments. My CC has been charged (pending) but no miles deducted yet, guess I will wait a couple days and see what happens before I call
does it show a ticket number on United.com? They usually don't charge the card until that happens. I would not wait that long if there is no ticket number. Showing confirmed is a good sign ... get that ticket issued ... call ...

Last edited by cfischer; Mar 24, 2019 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I've got the same thing going on with an Austrian awards booking, confirmed on Austrian's site, but processing, no ticket number, no miles deducted yet on United's site.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
I've got the same thing going on with an Austrian awards booking, confirmed on Austrian's site, but processing, no ticket number, no miles deducted yet on United's site.
In my experience OS can take a bit longer but if it has been 2-3 hours and no ticket is issued ... I would call to see if they can push it through.
zymm likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:39 pm

FYI to all with the non ticketed award flight reservations:

I made a new reservation (same flights) which ticketed immediately and then cancelled first one with no penalty (since it was never ticketed). All good. Was concerned for a moment that it would kick me out since I basically generated a duplicate booking but all went smooth. Shows paid, miles deducted and ticket number in hand ^
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
Just as a word of caution, you can still get your itinerary cancelled even with a confirmation number, ticket, and reserved seat on LX. I had a J segment in November for ZRH-LAX and happened to notice in my United account that it was cancelled. Swiss's manage my booking site said it was deleted. I was literally ticketed 2 weeks ago and reserved a seat on Swiss's site.

The United CSR said that Swiss cancelled the flight segment. Rather than going through the hassle of trying to go through Swiss to get them to open up space, I just opted for a ZRH-LHR-LAX routing on Polaris. I'm not sure who really is at fault, but take this as a warning that your award flight on LX isn't necessarily safe even if it's ticketed and you were assigned a seat!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DaisyO
I'm not sure who really is at fault
LX. This has been a recurring problem with them for years. They will always blame UA (as Swiss don't make mistakes ).

Glad to hear you were able to find an acceptable alternative.
findark likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaisyO
Just as a word of caution, you can still get your itinerary cancelled even with a confirmation number, ticket, and reserved seat on LX. I had a J segment in November for ZRH-LAX and happened to notice in my United account that it was cancelled. Swiss's manage my booking site said it was deleted. I was literally ticketed 2 weeks ago and reserved a seat on Swiss's site.

The United CSR said that Swiss cancelled the flight segment. Rather than going through the hassle of trying to go through Swiss to get them to open up space, I just opted for a ZRH-LHR-LAX routing on Polaris. I'm not sure who really is at fault, but take this as a warning that your award flight on LX isn't necessarily safe even if it's ticketed and you were assigned a seat!
make sure you get the 10k miles back!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
make sure you get the 10k miles back!
Do most people try/accomplish this? IMO a refund is not due if you force positive space on UA metal because you were ticketed at the partner level, but AFAIK reports have gone both ways.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Do most people try/accomplish this? IMO a refund is not due if you force positive space on UA metal because you were ticketed at the partner level, but AFAIK reports have gone both ways.
I did post-flight. I would not have asked, except UA dumped us from our prime row 14 UD seats a week prior to departure and put me right next to the lav. It was miserable, as crew was closing the gate and going in and out of the lav every 30 minutes all night.

If you are going to ask for miles back, wait until the full itinerary has been flown.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
always gotten the 10k miles back when there was a forced move from *A to UA metal TATL. Never any pushback from UA. Frankly, it is a ticketed itinerary they wish to no longer honor ... the DOT could force them to do that ... or they refund the difference between I-class on LX and I/IN-class on UA. It's pretty simple.
Which reports are you referring to where the 10k refund was not granted?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:46 pm

Frankly, it is a ticketed itinerary they wish to no longer honor ... the DOT could force them to do that
Good luck with that.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good luck with that.
you don't need any luck with that. Had this issue 3 times with Swiss and UA told me to pound sand. Contacted the DOT that UA was unwilling to honor a ticketed itinerary. Got resolved within 48 hours each time. I always give UA a chance to make it right by figuring it out with the partner or by offering their own metal. When they don’t want to play nice, I usually don’t hesitate to get it fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.