Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
It amazes me how "cheap" people are. The airline got you from a to b. that is what they promised you. Things break. too bad. I had a guy die from a heart attack. Per rules they had to land at the closest airport for the medical examiner. He was off so we sat on the ground in the middle of nowhere for 4 hours. Then the FA were over their time and we had to sit for another 4 hours to get another crew. Should we have been paid
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gadot
It amazes me how "cheap" people are. The airline got you from a to b. that is what they promised you. Things break. too bad
You've absolutely got to be kidding me.

If you're right, what's the purpose of any fare other than Basic Economy?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
had a guy die from a heart attack.
Yup, totally the same thing as a UA electrical failure.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:47 pm

It amazes me how "cheap" people are. The airline got you from a to b. that is what they promised you. Things break. too bad. I had a guy die from a heart attack. Per rules they had to land at the closest airport for the medical examiner. He was off so we sat on the ground in the middle of nowhere for 4 hours. Then the FA were over their time and we had to sit for another 4 hours to get another crew. Should we have been paid
Yeah, I can’t disagree enough with this take. “Getting from A to B” is most definitely not what they they promise. There are many ways to travel w airfare being just one of them. I am paying to travel in the manner I choose with comfort and time being balanced against price.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I pick carriers for their safety records.
I fly AC.
the airline with hard landings, and taxiway near-landings?
SFO777, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:11 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Amazing. I beleive this is UA's longest segment, and in the top ten for any airline.

Should be $1,000 for C, $500 for Y. At a minimum. Everyone is not on the same sleeping schedule BTW.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
the airline with hard landings, and taxiway near-landings?
"tundra landings eh!"

David

Last edited by DELee; Mar 20, 2019 at 8:02 pm Reason: corrected interjection!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
There are a lot of spoiled flyers here on FT. Be glad you didn’t divert and have your schedule wrecked. I will take on time and safe landing every time over any other alternative.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tupungato
Let's see, what is the typical approximate price difference between Economy and Business on this route... $1100-$1400 for return flight.
I'm half following this thread for entertainment purposes but... huh?

When I price out SFO-SIN rt for random dates I get sub-$900, sometimes sub-$800 for economy. Business is in the $7000-$8000 range.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Originally Posted by Ted
Amazing. I beleive this is UA's longest segment, and in the top ten for any airline.

Should be $1,000 for C, $500 for Y. At a minimum. Everyone is not on the same sleeping schedule BTW.
Good point - those sleeping through it would have minimal impact. Those trying to work, or having trouble sleeping would like electronics to work. I was on this flight last year, and I was one of the few people awake in Polaris for much of it.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:00 am
iwc

Originally Posted by booper
Good point - those sleeping through it would have minimal impact. Those trying to work, or having trouble sleeping would like electronics to work. I was on this flight last year, and I was one of the few people awake in Polaris for much of it.
Sleeping was not an option as the entire problem started with the seat belt chime ringing repeatedly at frequent intervals. It got me out of a sound sleep and was maddening. This was the source of the problem that they were trying to troubleshoot.

That is what led to leaving the seat belt sign on and shutting down the electrical just in case of a short. We did not want another Peggy's Cove.

Once up, sleeping was not easy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm half following this thread for entertainment purposes but... huh?

When I price out SFO-SIN rt for random dates I get sub-$900, sometimes sub-$800 for economy. Business is in the $7000-$8000 range.
I may have made a mistake I probably compared United Economy with other airlines (non-direct flights) business class. China Southern / China Eastern.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
$150 is absolutely too low. Even $500 seems low to me.

As a comparison point, on my recent FRA-SFO flight, I was in PE and one of the oxygen mask panels came down during take off. The crew could not re-stow the masks. Passengers sitting under those masks for the flight were offered $200 vouchers on the spot. They were not really impacted in any way other than they had something dangling over their heads.

IMO, this electrical issue is a much bigger deal...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
There are a lot of spoiled flyers here on FT. Be glad you didn’t divert and have your schedule wrecked. I will take on time and safe landing every time over any other alternative.
I would agree with this sentiment if Polaris tickets weren’t several thousand dollars.

You cannot accuse a paying customer of being spoiled for wanting the product advertised.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA disagrees, so while I tend to agree with you, our POV isn't particularly relevant. And, to be fair, I would still take a broken J seat over a Y seat on this route anytime.

$500 for a broken seat is pretty much the highest compensation I've seen, and that was for a 1K/GS customer. Someone without status will get less.

I agree that it's worth writing back to ask for more, but it's best to keep expectations aligned with reality.

i have gotten more for a broken seat. Once it was $1,000 in vouchers for IAD to MUC for a C seat that was stuck between vertical and horizontal that was, in fact, worse than a Y seat. FA couldn’t move it even for landing. Plane was full so no other seat available. The most miserable flight I ever had and most sleepless overnight one.

Last edited by lotemblizej; Mar 21, 2019 at 10:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.