Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email

Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email

Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by gmt4
With 5.5 months left in the year I'd find a way to fly the PQM rather than buy. I'm of the belief that buying PQM should be an end-of-year last resort to save/make status when all other opportunities to fly it have been exhausted. 10k is easy to fly. A mileage run to Europe would likely do it, a TPAC run definitely would. All that is assuming you'll meet the PQD...should you be subject to it.
This may be a sacrilegious thing to say here, but the cost-benefit analysis of the mileage-run vs the purchase of PQM should (in most cases) include the opportunity cost of the time spent travelling on the MR, such as work obligations and family time. It will almost always be cheaper to accumulate PQM by flying, but not everyone has the luxury to go about it that way. Having said that, I personally usually take your approach and have "bought up" only as a last resort.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I noticed a new offer today that allows you to buy PQMs and PQSs while earning PQDs on that purchase on mystatus.united.com.

I'm guessing the offers are customized, but mine allows the purchase of up to 15,000 PQM and 15 PQS for $2,230 (and $2,230 PQM.)

I imagine that's a good offer for a Platinum about to become 1K, but with just 1 GPU earned for every 25k miles beyond 1k, it doesn't make much sense for me.
I'll hit 103k miles on my last travel leg from LHR-PDX on 12/29. I'm currently 3k miles short of UA Gold.
This is my PQM Buy Up offer (and its not very compelling pricing either):

Last edited by ekwang; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:01 pm Reason: remove PII
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Not exciting - I got the email when I had just over 50k PQM

My offer
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Offer appears to alive again, may be targetted
Purchase Premier qualifying miles and segments today

Increase your account balance with PQM and PQS.

Through August 19, 2019, you have a special opportunity to purchase up to 15,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and up to 15 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) that count toward qualification for 2020 Premier status.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold

IIRC the first offer I received this year was $150 / 1,000 PQM. My offer only got worse throughout the year.
Not that I care, I'm 6,000 PQM from 1K.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leoo

IIRC the first offer I received this year was $150 / 1,000 PQM. My offer only got worse throughout the year.
Same here. They keep raising the prices!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
At $310/1,000 they should toss in RDMs as well.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leoo
... IIRC the first offer I received this year was $150 / 1,000 PQM. My offer only got worse throughout the year.
And will continue to get more expensive as the year progresses. UA is going after those with more money than time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.