Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The apparently infamous United cheeseburger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The apparently infamous United cheeseburger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I've had the burger a few times and liked it. It's not a freshly grilled In-n-Out or Red Robin burger but it's pretty good.

The airplanes do not have microwaves. The burgers are cooked by the caterer then heated in the ovens at the beginning of the flight. The burgers, or any of the other hot buy on board food, will always be best if purchased and eaten during the first service. This is true on domestic shorter international flights. They probably do things differently on the long-haul flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
The burger is my number one choice from United's domestic menu. While it's never been hot, it was always warm enough to be as enjoyable as an airplane food burger can possibly taste IMHO. Separate condiments and lettuce and tomato in a plastic bag is a smart move.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
The burger is one of the best things United does. I'd choose it over a lot of the most recent Polaris cuisine.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Some of you have said the burger wasn't hot - that surprises me - I always have to let it cool down - and my only gripe is the cheese melted all over the place.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
...the public spectacle that is the United cheeseburger...wow, who'd a thunk it?

David
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:25 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
What a load of crap, not the posts above, the cheeseburger
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:50 pm

Is United's PR department asleep at the wheel? They need to put something out in defense of the burger. Oscar needs to pen a letter to Inc.'s editor or something.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Or Chef Gerry

Originally Posted by bman1002
Is United's PR department asleep at the wheel? They need to put something out in defense of the burger. Oscar needs to pen a letter to Inc.'s editor or something.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For many years I also avoided the burger as I preferred something healthier like the Asian noodle box. Alas all of the healthy items were pretty much discontinued in economy so eventually I tried the burger and was pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Aside from being a bit on the greasy side, it's not bad. Not great, but not bad.
Perfect review! It's quite edible - better than expected - but nothing to write home about. I do like that it comes plain with fresh add-it-yourself sides.

Hate to admit but I will miss it as they are usually gone after the 1Ks order and my status dropped. But good reason to sit closer to front of E+
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
There are no microwaves onboard UA planes.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Real heat.
Indeed. Most ovens in airplane galleys use a type of convection system - hot air circulating in the oven cavity.

Had the burger multiple times offered as a snack item on red-eyes and thought it would pass as decent airplane food.
Would have preferred it over the calzone on a recent p.s. snack flight.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MM
No more chicken parm sandwich as I found out Monday evening. Had the burger as it was the only option available (they were already out of the chicken/bacon wrap by the time they got to me in the 737 exit row, assuming they had any to begin with). No lettuce/tomato provided.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
I don’t know what is worse, the cheeseburger or the fact we all clicked on the link thus giving inc the added traffic to provide their advertisers.

BTW, in a pinch or not...it’s not that bad of a burger considering.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I just about never buy food while up in the air, something about your digestive system shutting down when flying. Maybe I should stick with that. What do you think?

On a United Airlines Flight, I Did Something I'd Been Warned Not To Do. I May Never Recover
https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...r-recover.html
While I have not had a United Cheeseburger, I fondly recall eating three Continental burgers back before the UA-CO merger on a trip to London. They were absolutely delicious. I miss those days.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plat, Bonvoy Amb, HH Dia, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
No more chicken parm sandwich as I found out Monday evening. Had the burger as it was the only option available (they were already out of the chicken/bacon wrap by the time they got to me in the 737 exit row, assuming they had any to begin with). No lettuce/tomato provided.
I knew it was only a matter of time before the chicken/bacon wrap was brought up. I was looking forward to it with the recent menu change. After trying it, I would strongly advise to avoid- It is GROSS
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Some of you have said the burger wasn't hot - that surprises me - I always have to let it cool down - and my only gripe is the cheese melted all over the place.
One of the three I've had was cold inside, hot outside. That indicates to me that they used a hot oven thinking it would speed the warming process but that really doesn't work for frozen or very cold food as it takes time for the heat to penetrate. Warm oven over longer period is more likely to get the food to dining temperatures, particularly when the food is encased in an insulative layer (paper bag). I think the time my burger was cold, they were trying to serve about 45 minutes after take-off on a 3 hour flight. My burger was much warmer when being served 1.5 hours into a 5.5 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.