Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions About Two Upcoming United Trips:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver

Hi FT Community,

Just booked two trips with United - one to Innsbruck and one to Maui. I had a few questions regarding United Clubs along the way, connection times, and upgrade chances. Thanks in advance for your time and help - I appreciate it!

Question #1 : I have a 40-minute connection in EWR, going from a domestic flight (arriving from IAD) to an international flight (departing to FRA). How tight is this going to be? Will I make it?

Question #2 : I have 4 hours and 40 minutes in EWR on my way back from FRA, is there a United Club that is better than the rest - and is it accessible using one-time passes?

Question #3 : Are there any pay-to-use lounges in Frankfurt? If so, which is the best for food/showers/location (will be connecting from United to Austrian outbound and Austrian to United return)? I'll be spending a combined 6 hours and 40 minutes waiting there.

Question #4 Could I get your opinions on upgrade chances on the flights below? I'm a United Premier Silver - I'll include fare class and other relevant info below. Thanks again!

March 27 ORD-SFO UA1891 B753 (S Class) 7 FC Left
March 27 SFO-OGG UA539 B738 (S Class) 5 FC Left
April 1 DEN-ORD UA2385 B739 (S Class) 14 FC Left
June 15 IAD-EWR UA1972 A319 (B Class) 6 FC Left
June 22 EWR-ORD UA2015 B739 (B Class) 17 FC Left
June 22 ORD-TVC UA1199 A319 (B Class) 8 FC Left
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Hi FT Community,

Just booked two trips with United - one to Innsbruck and one to Maui. I had a few questions regarding United Clubs along the way, connection times, and upgrade chances. Thanks in advance for your time and help - I appreciate it!

Question #1 : I have a 40-minute connection in EWR, going from a domestic flight (arriving from IAD) to an international flight (departing to FRA). How tight is this going to be? Will I make it?

Question #2 : I have 4 hours and 40 minutes in EWR on my way back from FRA, is there a United Club that is better than the rest - and is it accessible using one-time passes?

Question #3 : Are there any pay-to-use lounges in Frankfurt? If so, which is the best for food/showers/location (will be connecting from United to Austrian outbound and Austrian to United return)? I'll be spending a combined 6 hours and 40 minutes waiting there.

Question #4 Could I get your opinions on upgrade chances on the flights below? I'm a United Premier Silver - I'll include fare class and other relevant info below. Thanks again!

March 27 ORD-SFO UA1891 B753 (S Class) 7 FC Left
March 27 SFO-OGG UA539 B738 (S Class) 5 FC Left
April 1 DEN-ORD UA2385 B739 (S Class) 14 FC Left
June 15 IAD-EWR UA1972 A319 (B Class) 6 FC Left
June 22 EWR-ORD UA2015 B739 (B Class) 17 FC Left
June 22 ORD-TVC UA1199 A319 (B Class) 8 FC Left
1. 40 minutes is the absolute minimum connection time for that flight, assuming that both flights operate out of the same terminal. Your chances of making that flight are exceedingly poor.

4. Zero on all except ORD-TVC, which I’d put at 10%. The 319 is a notoriously tough upgrade, but a Saturday flight a full week before the cherry festival might be a light enough load to make it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP: Really advise against a 40-minute connection time for an international connection in EWR unless you thoroughly study this article and thread:

Three Perfect Days: Newark

Hemispheres march , 3 perfect days in ......NEWARK
Kacee, mr8, username and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
#1 40 minutes is very very tight. If book on same ticket then United will take care of you in case of misconnection.
#2 Yes you can use one-pass. All UC are the same to me at EWR except Polaris but you don't have access with one pass
#3 many lounges in FRA where you can pay to access. They are all the same to me. Some are way cheaper so check the web.
#4 As a silver on these flights, I would give it 0% on all. Particularly on the hub to hub flights. But good luck as you never really know.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi FT Community,

There's no way that I would ever book a connection so tight especially since it seems that FRA is not your final destination and you still have to make your connection to Innsbruck. If you are in the 24 hours grace period, I would consider cancelling that reservation and rebooking an earlier flight from IAD to EWR. But if you cannot do it and on the day of your flight you see that your flight IAD-EWR is getting delayed maybe you can ask United if they can put you in the direct IAD-FRA that leaves later. It will not work if you are sitting in the IAD-EWR flight and then it does not depart on time but if you are still at the gate....

Or you can hope that before your trip there is a 5 minutes change in the departure time of your IAD-EWR flight which would allow you to ask United to switch you to an earlier IAD-EWR flight without having to pay a fee.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

If I misconnect - as I am flying (R) Premium Plus - would they have to re-book me in PP or Polaris or could they put me in coach?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If I misconnect - as I am flying (R) Premium Plus - would they have to re-book me in PP or Polaris or could they put me in coach?
As usual with IRROPS, you are entitled to positive space in your paid cabin (Premium Economy), but many agents will try to force you into Y. You will likely have fewer options in PE than Y, and it will help to have alternatives in mind.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
As usual with IRROPS, you are entitled to positive space in your paid cabin (Premium Economy), but many agents will try to force you into Y. You will likely have fewer options in PE than Y, and it will help to have alternatives in mind.
You could easily end up with a choice between Y today and P+ tomorrow. If you choose Y, you can (and should) ask to be put onto the Y->P+ upgrade list as a displaced P+ passenger.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan

You could easily end up with a choice between Y today and P+ tomorrow. If you choose Y, you can (and should) ask to be put onto the Y->P+ upgrade list as a displaced P+ passenger.
What do you mean? So I would ask to be on an upgrade list for Premium Plus even though I purchased a Premium Plus ticket? Say there is a Polaris seat available - would that be an option? What I see so far is 2 flights to LHR and 1 flight to CDG later that night out of EWR, all have Polaris and Economy only...

Last edited by JackFranchino; Mar 17, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Say there is a Polaris seat available - would that be an option?
I won't say it's impossible but it's very unlikely. You should really reconsider that 40 minute connection at EWR, it is a very high risk of misconnect.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What do you mean? So I would ask to be on an upgrade list for Premium Plus even though I purchased a Premium Plus ticket? ...
Say PP was sold out, you could ask to be waitlisted in case someone in PP missed the flight or was upgraded into Polaris cabin.
Say there is a Polaris seat available - would that be an option? ...
very, very unlikely

What I see so far is 2 flights to LHR and 1 flight to CDG later that night out of EWR, all have Polaris and Economy only...
There is limited PP service as it is just starting and you might need to wait a day or two to get a guaranteed seat -- this is one reason many are suggesting don't risk a 40-minute connection in this situation -- would be different if there were multiple options but there isn't.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:53 pm

Isn't premium plus R class? none of your flights are R class
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deskover54
Isn't premium plus R class? none of your flights are R class
I'm not CPU eligible for EWR-FRA and FRA-EWR, therefore I did not ask for upgrade chances on those flights. Premium Plus is R, O, and A.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA
More likely there will be someone with a higher status and /or upgrade instrument that would get the Polaris seat.

I would do not a 40 minute connection in EWR. I just looked at the gates for tomorrow and yes same terminal and 10 gates apart but I would not do it.

Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean? So I would ask to be on an upgrade list for Premium Plus even though I purchased a Premium Plus ticket? Say there is a Polaris seat available - would that be an option?
Just chiming in to agree with what's already been said. It's very, very unlikely that you would be moved up to Polaris. An agent would be breaking a lot of rules to do that. It's not completely impossible, but it's. one-in-a-thousand shot at best.

Originally Posted by arttravel
More likely there will be someone with a higher status and /or upgrade instrument that would get the Polaris seat.
Well, that's not even the issue. Even if there were an available seat and no upgrade request, a PE ticket isn't valid for travel in J without some kind of upgrade. But, you're right -- if there were an upgrade request queued, I'd expect them to clear that before doing an op-up of a displaced PE passenger.

Originally Posted by arttravel
I would do not a 40 minute connection in EWR. I just looked at the gates for tomorrow and yes same terminal and 10 gates apart but I would not do it.
I agree. The P+ issue makes it a complete no-brainer. I wouldn't do it in Y, but at least then you'd have a workable fallback plan -- there are lots of ways to get to FRA (or INN, in this case) from EWR. I'd treat a P+ flight the same way I treat a once-daily flight; I generally look for a minimum of 1:45 or so, depending upon the airport -- and EWR is among the worst.

Also, UA requires that you appear at the gate at T-30 for an international flight or risk losing your seat. That gives you ten minutes -- if the IAD flight is on time -- to get off of the plane and get to the EWR gate. If it takes you 12 minutes, and there's someone on the Y->P+ upgrade list, you may lose your P+ seat and be back in the same situation of boarding in Y or waiting for a flight with P+.

Is there an LH flight with PE that would work? UA might be willing to put you onto that, although you'd need a lot of extra time, as you'd need to change terminals and go through security.

Basically, if there's any way to make an earlier flight out of DC, I'd do that. When are you traveling? Was it a 40 minute transfer when you bought it, or was there a schedule change?

(And, to be clear: gate assignments are regularly different every day).

Last edited by jsloan; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.