Cancelled Flight w. Confirmed GPU

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airoli
Since when can LX flights be upgraded with GPUs?
OP was asking about getting rebooked onto LX from a GPU'd UA flight in the event of irrops.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by dkc192
OP was asking about getting rebooked onto LX from a GPU'd UA flight in the event of irrops.
Ah. Well, in that case it's not a question of whether LX is "strict" or not.

LX will simply transport the pax in the cabin that the original operator - UA - has rebooked the pax in. Same with any other airline.

If UA is willing to do (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Biz class, then the pax will fly in Business.

If UA does (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Economy class plus a good wish, then the pax will fly in Economy.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
As a 1K, Ive been reaccomodated on an upgraded ticket onto LH, AC, and BA before. On a paid J ticket Ive been put on VS (terrible flight) and AA.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
UA has always reaccomodated PZ/PN to paid business, even when operated by partner carries, and usually into full J.

One of the main reasons Ive completely given up on AA and been loyal to UA.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
UA has always reaccomodated PZ/PN to paid business, even when operated by partner carries, and usually into full J.
Perhaps as GS that has been your experience, but that is not a generally applicable policy.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
As others have said, if UA cancels a UA flight you're already upgraded on (or cancels a connection creating a misconnect) UA will protect you on UA. That is to say, UA will force you into the front cabin on your new flight even if the award space is not there. Of course, this assumes there is actually a seat left on the flight you want; they won't oversell the front cabin for a rebooking.
Originally Posted by findark
Own metal is more or less guaranteed; getting rebooked positive space on a partner is YMMV and the agent is doing you a favor.
Whenever I've ask UA execs about protecting upgrades on JV partners it's something they agree with in principle but say the sticking point is how to compensate the operating carrier for the upgrade.
Originally Posted by simmang
I was once accommodated on Asiana in J by UA when I had a misconnect on the original UA confirmed GPU flight. I simply asked the 1K desk if I could be reaccomodated in J.. after a long hold, she booked and ticketed me in J on Asiana. The friendly Polaris club agents at SFO thought Asiana would refuse the ticket and downgrade me at checkin... but Asiana didn’t and I flew J on Asiana to my destination. I was sweating bullets all the way through checkin, boarding, and up to door closed and push back, but it worked. YMMV.
Glad to hear it worked out! ^
​​​​​​​
As I understand a GA can rebook you on a JV partner - or anyone really, but let's keep it with JV partners - in business class. However just because you're rebooked in J on LH/AC/NH from an upgraded UA ticket does not mean LH/AC/NH will honor the ticket in the upgraded class.

My $0.02 is if you can get a UA GA to protect your upgrade on LH/AC/NH keep a low profile, try to check in online or get UA to issue your BP, avoid going to the lounge, avoid talking to the GA, and hope you can slip through the cracks.
Miggles, findark and simmang like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by J.Edward
As others have said, if UA cancels a UA flight you're already upgraded on (or cancels a connection creating a misconnect) UA will protect you on UA.
Note, at least IME, that this does not hold true for CPUs - only supported upgrades.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps as GS that has been your experience, but that is not a generally applicable policy.
This is my first year as GS, so I was referring to my experience as 1K, and Gold before that.

That said, as with all UA things, you might have to HUCA or talk to a second agent, but I always seem to eventually get through to someone reasonable at United (unlike at other airlines).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

I encourage you to search for the many horror stories that have emerged from this. Can it work out? Sure! But often it does not ... LH is easier ... LX is terrible .... OZ seems to work ... NH is hit and miss. So it is all of the place and in these cases I always insist sin UA metal to not get into downgrade issues. So far I have only been downgraded intra-Europe ... and that was not a big deal but I sure would be pissed having to fly Y TATL or TPAC.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
I encourage you to search for the many horror stories that have emerged from this. Can it work out? Sure!
And that's only IF UA rebooks in the premium cabin on a partner. That is a minority outcome.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
One time when a LH flight was late into FRA, causing me to miss a UA TATL flight on which I had been upgraded, the LH service desk at FRA did put me on a later LH flight in business. I didn't ask, they just did it. Had they not done so, I would have called UA and tried to get onto the next UA flight in business.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
My $0.02 is if you can get a UA GA to protect your upgrade on LH/AC/NH keep a low profile, try to check in online or get UA to issue your BP, avoid going to the lounge, avoid talking to the GA, and hope you can slip through the cracks.
I think this is great advice. In my case with Asiana, I tried to check in online, but it errored out. I thought this was bad news for flying in J. Turns out Asiana just wanted to see I had a return flight to the US (since return was on UA as originally booked). The Asiana check in agent asked, and the gate agent even called me up to verify I had a return flight (I thought they were calling me up to downgrade me!).

One time I had a confirmed RPU in the US, and the UA flight had IRROPS. The UA check in agent rebooked me on AA in first. I did not check in for the AA flight online (I think I didnt have the AA PNR or something), but instead checked in with an AA agent. She immediately noticed the cheap ticket and sent me back to UA to tell them to rebook me in coach. To this day I wonder if I would have flown first if I had just checked in online and not talked to anyone.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Unless there's been a recent change, getting confirmed SWUs on AA rebooked onto the same upgraded cabin on AA and most other JBV partner carriers (BA, JL, etc.) during IRROPS typically isn't a problem.

One difference is that when AA processes the upgrade, they actually re-ticket the reservation showing the upgraded class of service. I don't believe UA does this with GPUs.

Now if the reason you've given up on AA is that they don't have any confirmable SWU space to begin with, then I totally get that!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Is there an official policy for cancelled flights with confirmed GPUs, or is it up to individual agents? I had a situation when a 1K agent claimed PZ bucket has to be available, and refused to rebook me into business as only revenue space was available, even for the next day. I hanged up and called again, and another agent rebooked me into revenue J on LH for the same day. I suspect the agents have a lot of discretion, and wonder what are the limits.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, there are plenty of reports of UA refusing to rebook in J on a partner. They certainly have no contractual obligation to do so.

And even if they do, the partner will sometimes refuse to transport in J because the underlying coupon is for economy travel.
That is a peculiar assumption. Certainly an upgraded ticket on UA was originally issued in economy class. If the 016 ticket is then reissued as INVOL into the new premium booking class on the new carrier/routing, there is no reason to refuse transport. You're talking about a situation where an agent books a passenger into a premium booking class on another carrier (makes a reservation), but fails to reissue the ticket in the matching premium booking class thereby leaving the passenger with a flight coupon mismatched to the reservation. Of course another carrier is likely to refuse transport in business class notwithstanding a courtesy reservation when UA says "we'll pay you for economy" on the 016 ticket.

Originally Posted by airoli
Ah. Well, in that case it's not a question of whether LX is "strict" or not.

LX will simply transport the pax in the cabin that the original operator - UA - has rebooked the pax in. Same with any other airline.

If UA is willing to do (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Biz class, then the pax will fly in Business.

If UA does (UA Y tix + GPU) = LX revenue Economy class plus a good wish, then the pax will fly in Economy.
Not exactly. The flight coupon needs to be reissued into the correct booking class. If they don't reissue at all, or reissue in Y, a Y seat is in the passenger's future notwithstanding any "rebooking" UA does for the passenger, as in the form of a reservation in J. If the coupon is reissued in J, that passenger is good to go.

Rebook Reservation ≠ Reissue Ticket.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
One time when a LH flight was late into FRA, causing me to miss a UA TATL flight on which I had been upgraded, the LH service desk at FRA did put me on a later LH flight in business. I didn't ask, they just did it. Had they not done so, I would have called UA and tried to get onto the next UA flight in business.
Lufthansa is a different animal. They seem to take responsibility for their own delays and cough up revenue business reservations/tickets when they misconnect upgraded J passengers. They seem to treat confirmed upgrades the same as a confirmed revenue seats for disserviced passengers. I think this has to do with EU rules.

Originally Posted by FreFly
Is there an official policy for cancelled flights with confirmed GPUs, or is it up to individual agents? I had a situation when a 1K agent claimed PZ bucket has to be available, and refused to rebook me into business as only revenue space was available, even for the next day. I hanged up and called again, and another agent rebooked me into revenue J on LH for the same day. I suspect the agents have a lot of discretion, and wonder what are the limits.
Seems to be agent discretion-- if they have a policy it isn't clear from the myriad of experiences reported here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.