UA starting 7 new DEN routes(?)

Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA starting 7 new DEN routes(?)

I only picked up on this today while reading @ Live and Let's Fly - but UA announced 7 new seasonal routes from Denver a month ago on Valentine's Day based on the below:

The odd thing is that I can't find a UA press release about this or any detailed information about flight frequency or anything else. Seems like there is some speculation that this is purely a retaliatory move against Frontier and that these routes will drop if they can get Frontier to drop them. The only one that I find to be a bit of a headscratcher is the SYR route - I don't know anyone who considers Syracuse to be a vacation destination of any kind, and UA has been cutting back on service to upstate NY in recent years - but the others have some merit to it (and I think it's great that BTV and PWM are getting added service, as I really enjoy both of those towns). Just curious if folks think these routes will stick or not, and if anyone has more info on when/how frequent UA is planning on flying...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
some of these are very odd. Is that planned with UAX?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DELTA
There were a few announcements. Here is one link to new routes/service: https://hub.united.com/united-airlin...631061648.html
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LAX784
There were a few announcements. Here is one link to new routes/service: https://hub.united.com/united-airlin...631061648.html
The only one of the above listed in this announcement is DEN-PNS...nothing about the additional routes.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I know SYR was courting a DEN route. Hadn’t heard anything about UA starting it though...

But I refuse to fly UA out of SYR after a horrible experience with the staff there.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:06 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
First I'd heard of this, but a quick Google search yielded this article from the SYR airport site: https://www.syrairport.org/united-ai...syr-to-denver/

According to the article, service starts June 6, and one of the quotes describes it as "year-round", so maybe not all of these routes are seasonal? If this was seasonal, I'd expect DEN to be the seasonal destination (not SYR), and I'd expect it to be for ski season. So with it starting in June, I'm betting on it being non-seasonal. Could be temporary, but I'm pretty sure F9 doesn't serve SYR.

I'm more inclined to suspect that it's part of an overall attempt to open up more 1-stop routes between small eastern-US cities and western destinations that are only served out of DEN/SFO/LAX. I'm pretty sure none of those 7 cities have UA service to DEN/SFO/LAX. This enables (e.g.) SYR-EUG with a single connection.

Also, from a purely personal perspective... I'm bitter 'cause I've been flying United westbound out of SYR for the last 3 years, and I'm moving away in July. Actually, come to think of it... I moved away from BDL about 3 months after BDL-DEN started. United hates me. Bring back IAD-ABQ dangit!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think I saw it posted on RoutesOnline. I don't have time to dig, though.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Are these going to be CRJ550 routes?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
Are these going to be CRJ550 routes?
DEN-SYR currenlty shows E75.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

These were announced some time ago
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posted on February 18. https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...denver-in-s19/
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
The SAV and GSP routes sure would have come in handy for me from 2013 through 2017. Of course, direct routes would have most likely precluded my GS status, so this is a tough one.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I'm fairly excited for DEN-BTV. Living in SBA for the last 20 years but going back to visit family in VT, I've always had to connect twice on United. Or drive to LAX for one connection. Now one connection thru Denver, as long as the timing and price are decent.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:58 pm

As someone who lives in VT who travels frequently to CO to see family, I’m also excited about BTV even though it will only run on weekends. I’m hoping it will lead to weekday service which would help on work trips farther west.
tstauck likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.