Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Quite a few people in the US who don’t hang out on Flyertalk still use that term.
This.

Also, on FT, we just don't have time to spell out everything, outdated terms or otherwise.

FAs will do just fine.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
Welcome to FT! I'm not quite sure why your post brought out such rage from other posters on here. Basically your complaints are a 10-15 year abstract of UP MP FT for the most part. Miles are devalued, economy plus is ala carte by flight, subscription, or for elites, and for upgrades you need an instrument, or pay for it with miles or cash. The seats have become less comfortable and closer and baggage charges abound. This varies by carrier but is by and large what the US landscape gives you.

Internationally you have more options, particularly redeeming UA miles.
Entitlement.

You’re not ‘owed’ anything by the airline. They don’t have to give you economy plus because you’re tall, because you demand for it, or quite frankly because you think you deserve it for being a loyal 30 year super duper extra pro MileagePlus Twitter Instagram United supporter. We all know this; it’s why we ask for advice on a FlyerTalk on how to get through our trips, and/or if anyone has any tips or advice for us on routings or partner aircraft that would make our trip more comfortable.

Facts.

If you’re going to complain about an airline that you experienced, then get your facts straight. $450 for an upgrade to E+, really now...? Might as well say they asked for your firstborn too while you’re at it. Stick to facts. “UA sucks because my knees hit the seat in front of me and they wanted $80 to move up to E+” will gather much better responses than wild tales. If you’re going to accuse someone and say they’re the worst, have facts or proof. The OP’s story is a wild tale with very little (if any) factual evidence. The OP just wants to post UA is the only airline that charges for this and that when they’re not. A simple google search is all it takes to know this.
SteveHK and chavala like this.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Mar 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: Facts!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
...then get your facts straight. $540 for an upgrade to E+, really now...?...
Just checked SFO-SJO, the delta from BE to purchased E+ was $460 per passenger (RT)
$60 upfare and $200 / each way for the E+ (in Sept 2019 - outside of the present sale)

But the OP never said $540, did mention $450 for Ontario (may have been SJO numbers)-- not sure if that is Calif or Canada
But again E+ access / premier access is about $270 per passenger SFO-YYZ -- $500+ for two

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: YYZ data
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just checked SFO-SJO, the delta from BE to purchased E+ was $460 per passenger (RT)
$60 upfare and $200 / each way for the E+ (in Sept 2019 - outside of the present sale)

But the OP never said $540, did mention $450 for Ontario (may have been SJO numbers)-- not sure if that is Calif or Canada
But again E+ access / premier access is about $270 per passenger SFO-YYZ -- $500+ for two
I don’t believe that the OP said they were on a BE fare, or maybe I missed it. Therefore, what’s the delta on E- to E+ in your example?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

Entitlement.

You’re not ‘owed’ anything by the airline. They don’t have to give you economy plus because you’re tall, because you demand for it, or quite frankly because you think you deserve it for being a loyal 30 year super duper extra pro MileagePlus Twitter Instagram United supporter. We all know this; it’s why we ask for advice on a FlyerTalk on how to get through our trips, and/or if anyone has any tips or advice for us on routings or partner aircraft that would make our trip more comfortable.

Facts.

If you’re going to complain about an airline that you experienced, then get your facts straight. $450 for an upgrade to E+, really now...? Might as well say they asked for your firstborn too while you’re at it. Stick to facts. “UA sucks because my knees hit the seat in front of me and they wanted $80 to move up to E+” will gather much better responses than wild tales. If you’re going to accuse someone and say they’re the worst, have facts or proof. The OP’s story is a wild tale with very little (if any) factual evidence. The OP just wants to post UA is the only airline that charges for this and that when they’re not. A simple google search is all it takes to know this.
Yeah, speaking of entitlement new FT members are entitled to a welcoming atmosphere, even a direct welcome by all FT members. This thread is just opposite that and probably should get thrown away.

We don't know if the OP was discussing the E+ cost for the tcon or a tpac, one way per person or for two pax, it was difficult to decipher. I read it as didn't necessarily not want to pay zero, just thought it was X$ overvalued. But it is just like almost every other thread on this forum, just written differently. It could be if the OP flew AS (until recently) WN and international then the bag fees would be quite a bit more on UA. But instead of dissecting this, this forum is 'entitled to its posters' and quite hostile to the OP with their venom in reply.

God forbid a pax feels UA is being cheap or the seats are uncomfortable...FT had NEVER had a thread or 20 on that before. Epitome of hypocrisy.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:13 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For a number of reasons, this thread is now closed.
Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.