Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: milage plus

I for years have had a United Airlines milage card. I was very loyal and traveled all over the world with United. But after traveling to Costa Rica two years ago and being charged six hundred dollars to bring my surfboards back I switched to Alaska Airlines. OMG I had no clue how bad service was with United until I had something to compare it to. My only regret is that I have hundreds of thousands of points to use up. And each time I use them it cost more to get to the same place with less service.

For example I flew back from Huston and the seats were so bad that it threw my back out and still two days after I am still in pain. I would have moved to a better seat with more leg room but I was afraid that I would have gotten beaten up.

On the way there we were sitting behind the exit row and asked if I could move up. I am six two and my knees were touching the set in-front of me. My hubby asked for me and the stewardess told him that I could not because of the weight and balance. But if he paid the extra it would then not be a weight and balance issue. I am a pilot and for the life of me I can't see how the weight of a credit card transfer changes the weight and balance and were I would input that into my flight computer if it did.

Another example is a trip that I am taking to Ontario. I ended up paying over 450 USD to get basic upgrades to the now any seat that you want that has anything like leg room cost. They even charge more for isle and window seats. So in reality if you are a loyal milage card holder for over 30 years you now get less and less with every flight and have to pay cash for any up graded seat or service. I am surprised that they don't make us pay to use the toilets but then I am sure that they have considered that option.

United has certainly moved to live up to its reputation as being the worst airline on the business. And after dealing with them for years I am amazed at the customer care that I am getting from Alaska, SouthWest, American and even Allegiant. My only regret is that I have to still suffer just to use up the points I have left. But I did very much enjoy cutting up their milage card.

Oh did I mention that no-one else I have used charges for the fist checked bag. Yet United charged us for SJC to Houston and again to Roatan for each bag; yet Alaska doesn't even charge for Surfboards anymore as they treat it as just another piece of checked luggage. It's United they grind us for every penny they can.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chelseachelsea
I am a pilot and for the life of me I can't see how the weight of a credit card transfer changes the weight and balance and were I would input that into my flight computer if it did.
I think you need a business degree, not a pilot's license, for that one
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
-It's kind of amazing you 'threw [your] back out' by sitting in a seat. Usually you have to be doing something physical for that.
-You wanted a free upgrade to the exit row - something no other airline would let you have either.
-the $450 upgrade to what seems like Economy+ on a flight to Ontario is not a real story.
-Alaska also charges for your first checked bag without status.

[S]ince you say you've had a card for over 30 years), your first bag would be free.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Give Alaska a little time; it will catch up.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by SteveHK
[S]ince you say you've had a card for over 30 years, your first bag would be free.
I inferred that the OP is a MP member (basic) and not that they have a CC that would provide free first bag. Must not have been doing all that much traveling over 30 years to not have made LT Gold. Agree with your other comments.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...On the way there we were sitting behind the exit row and asked if I could move up. I am six two and my knees were touching the set in-front of me. My hubby asked for me and the stewardess told him that I could not because of the weight and balance...
Here's the problem. You decided not to buy Economy Plus for the extra legroom you feel that you desperately need. You then get on board and claim you need the extra legroom (expecting it for free) because you're tall. Seriously? The argument that "I didn't know the seats were so close together" doesn't work, because you can buy the seat you wanted from the FA after boarding (even in flight).

If the FA decided to let cheapskates cheat the system and move up for free using whatever excuse they can make up, every other passenger will want to do the same. That's the bigger picture here, and why the FA is correct to deny.

You have the chance to buy E+ for extra legroom. Buy it.
Kannai, diburning, chavala and 8 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For any given flight, OP ought to book the ticket which best suits his needs, including price, convenience, soft product, hard product, and ancillary services such as luggage.

If AS makes more sense to OP, that is what he ought to fly.

Why argue about it?
nancypants and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stopped reading at the word stewardess.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, these people will grind you for every penny you have and treat you right!

https://www.netjets.com/en-us/
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:27 pm

You could always donate your hundreds of thousands of points and no longer "still suffer just to use up the points": https://donate.mileageplus.com/

Problem solved and you would help some people who are also suffering, like the dying children of Make-a-Wish or the terminally ill adults of Dream Foundation.
GDL, Miles Ahead, chavala and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:35 pm

Alaska charges for the first checked bag
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

American charges for the first checked bag on domestic and Caribbean flights
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Allegiant charges for the first checked bag with different prices for distance and time of booking payment or at the airport.
https://www.allegiantair.com/popup/o...s-table-button

United charges SJC-RTB the standard check baggage fees, unless you book as a multi segment trip or seperate one way segments.

....And after dealing with them for years I am amazed at the customer care that I am getting from Alaska, SouthWest, American and even Allegiant. My only regret is that I have to still suffer just to use up the points I have left. But I did very much enjoy cutting up their milage card.

Oh did I mention that no-one else I have used charges for the fist checked bag. Yet United charged us for SJC to Houston and again to Roatan for each bag; yet Alaska doesn't even charge for Surfboards anymore as they treat it as just another piece of checked luggage. It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

ajGoes, ExplorerWannabe and Kannai like this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Mar 16, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

I am a pilot and for the life of me I can't see how the weight of a credit card transfer changes the weight and balance and were I would input that into my flight computer if it did
What about the effect a forward CG has on efficiency? The more forward the CG, the less efficient, more fuel burn etc.

Obviously negligible factor but not entirely untrue.
zspitzer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence

What about the effect a forward CG has on efficiency? The more forward the CG, the less efficient, more fuel burn etc.

Obviously negligible factor but not entirely untrue.
This is the best explanation I have ever heard for why those seats at the front cost more than the ones in the back! That jet-a is expensive, you want a seat further up you need to pay for the extra fuel!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA
United operates an airline in one of the most brutal and competitive capitalist environments on this planet. They don't get generous amounts of subsidies like flag carriers that people love (Emirates, Singapore Airlines, etc.), and like most capitalist institutions how much you get valued by United is directly proportional to how much you're spending on their flights.
ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by milepig
I stopped reading at the word stewardess.
It's quite obvious English isn't the OP native language and meaning she is from somewhere outside the US of A. That being said "stewardess" is still used outside this country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.