Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's United they grind us for every penny they can.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Stewardess, LOL Who flies and still uses that term? Not sure if this is a real post but I lost any sympathy as I continued to read. They just joined and should read a few of the other threads to avoid this 'experience" since they have so many miles with UAL.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
This OP account of events has to be 100% true, when someone 6foot tall lists allegiant as one of the top 10 airlines you know they know what they are talking about...........
gcashin and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 8:54 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by chelseachelsea
I for years have had a United Airlines milage card. I was very loyal and traveled all over the world with United. But after traveling to Costa Rica two years ago and being charged six hundred dollars to bring my surfboards back I switched to Alaska Airlines. OMG I had no clue how bad service was with United until I had something to compare it to. My only regret is that I have hundreds of thousands of points to use up. And each time I use them it cost more to get to the same place with less service.

For example I flew back from Huston and the seats were so bad that it threw my back out and still two days after I am still in pain. I would have moved to a better seat with more leg room but I was afraid that I would have gotten beaten up.

On the way there we were sitting behind the exit row and asked if I could move up. I am six two and my knees were touching the set in-front of me. My hubby asked for me and the stewardess told him that I could not because of the weight and balance. But if he paid the extra it would then not be a weight and balance issue. I am a pilot and for the life of me I can't see how the weight of a credit card transfer changes the weight and balance and were I would input that into my flight computer if it did.

Another example is a trip that I am taking to Ontario. I ended up paying over 450 USD to get basic upgrades to the now any seat that you want that has anything like leg room cost. They even charge more for isle and window seats. So in reality if you are a loyal milage card holder for over 30 years you now get less and less with every flight and have to pay cash for any up graded seat or service. I am surprised that they don't make us pay to use the toilets but then I am sure that they have considered that option.

United has certainly moved to live up to its reputation as being the worst airline on the business. And after dealing with them for years I am amazed at the customer care that I am getting from Alaska, SouthWest, American and even Allegiant. My only regret is that I have to still suffer just to use up the points I have left. But I did very much enjoy cutting up their milage card.

Oh did I mention that no-one else I have used charges for the fist checked bag. Yet United charged us for SJC to Houston and again to Roatan for each bag; yet Alaska doesn't even charge for Surfboards anymore as they treat it as just another piece of checked luggage. It's United they grind us for every penny they can.
You should fly Southwest. I think you will be much happier there.
gcashin and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Here's the problem. You decided not to buy Economy Plus for the extra legroom you feel that you desperately need. You then get on board and claim you need the extra legroom (expecting it for free) because you're tall. Seriously? The argument that "I didn't know the seats were so close together" doesn't work, because you can buy the seat you wanted from the FA after boarding (even in flight).

If the FA decided to let cheapskates cheat the system and move up for free using whatever excuse they can make up, every other passenger will want to do the same. That's the bigger picture here, and why the FA is correct to deny.

You have the chance to buy E+ for extra legroom. Buy it.
I agree with you although to be fair to the OP, the FA should be honest about the reason for not allowing the move and not make stuff up .
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Asknorm
Stewardess, LOL Who flies and still uses that term? Not sure if this is a real post but I lost any sympathy as I continued to read. They just joined and should read a few of the other threads to avoid this 'experience" since they have so many miles with UAL.
Stewards and Stewardesses are completely appropriate. I still use the term all the time. That’s what ‘flight attendants’ are (well, supposed to be).
Trident 3B likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I agree with you although to be fair to the OP, the FA should be honest about the reason for not allowing the move and not make stuff up .
Yup, you’re right. And OP should be honest with FA and say, “I didn’t want to pay for extra legroom, but I want it for free. If you don’t give it to me, I’m gonna tell everyone how mean United is to tall people”.

Lest we forget, the OP’s post title summarizes her real complaint.
Steve M, uanj, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
" stewardess " are you kidding? This is 2019. Why not call them a "stew", they love that. I am no lover of UA, but they do run a good, professional operation. It sounds like AS fits your needs. Surf's up! If you want to sit in the front of the plane, PAY FOR IT, like everyone else did. Unbelievable.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
On the way there we were sitting behind the exit row and asked if I could move up. I am six two and my knees were touching the set in-front of me. My hubby asked for me and the stewardess told him that I could not because of the weight and balance. But if he paid the extra it would then not be a weight and balance issue. I am a pilot and for the life of me I can't see how the weight of a credit card transfer changes the weight and balance and were I would input that into my flight computer if it did.
If he paid, they'd update the manifest, and update the weight and balance for the crew.
If you do it ad hoc, there's no systemic way to inform the dispatcher and flight crew of the new CG.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:34 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Dear OP, Please migrate over to AA or Southwest. I’m sure you’ll be much happier and so will I.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Asknorm
Quite a few people in the US who don’t hang out on Flyertalk still use that term.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
first post, no sence, fake.....I am happy OP flies Alaska and not United....please keep flying Alaska
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by vaguba
United operates an airline in one of the most brutal and competitive capitalist environments on this planet. They don't get generous amounts of subsidies like flag carriers that people love (Emirates, Singapore Airlines, etc.), and like most capitalist institutions how much you get valued by United is directly proportional to how much you're spending on their flights.
You mean Lufthansa and Ryanair can do JFK-SFO flights now? Or that US3 repaid all pensions bailouts? Brutal and competitive and no subsidizes my rear
notquiteaff and James91 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If you want to be treated well on any airline, you have to be in a premium class - whether by paying for it, miles, status, however you can swing it. And even then, it is not a guarantee.

it is unfortunate that is the way it is, but it is. With so much demand for the lowest cost ticket, I don’t expect it to change.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I for years have had a United Airlines milage card. I was very loyal and traveled all over the world with United. But after traveling to Costa Rica two years ago and being charged six hundred dollars to bring my surfboards back I switched to Alaska Airlines. OMG I had no clue how bad service was with United until I had something to compare it to. My only regret is that I have hundreds of thousands of points to use up. And each time I use them it cost more to get to the same place with less service.

For example I flew back from Huston and the seats were so bad that it threw my back out and still two days after I am still in pain. I would have moved to a better seat with more leg room but I was afraid that I would have gotten beaten up.

Another example is a trip that I am taking to Ontario. I ended up paying over 450 USD to get basic upgrades to the now any seat that you want that has anything like leg room cost. They even charge more for isle and window seats. So in reality if you are a loyal milage card holder for over 30 years you now get less and less with every flight and have to pay cash for any up graded seat or service. I am surprised that they don't make us pay to use the toilets but then I am sure that they have considered that option.

United has certainly moved to live up to its reputation as being the worst airline on the business. And after dealing with them for years I am amazed at the customer care that I am getting from Alaska, SouthWest, American and even Allegiant. My only regret is that I have to still suffer just to use up the points I have left. But I did very much enjoy cutting up their milage card.

Oh did I mention that no-one else I have used charges for the fist checked bag. Yet United charged us for SJC to Houston and again to Roatan for each bag; yet Alaska doesn't even charge for Surfboards anymore as they treat it as just another piece of checked luggage. It's United they grind us for every penny they can.
Welcome to FT! I'm not quite sure why your post brought out such rage from other posters on here. Basically your complaints are a 10-15 year abstract of UP MP FT for the most part. Miles are devalued, economy plus is ala carte by flight, subscription, or for elites, and for upgrades you need an instrument, or pay for it with miles or cash. The seats have become less comfortable and closer and baggage charges abound. This varies by carrier but is by and large what the US landscape gives you.

Internationally you have more options, particularly redeeming UA miles.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kettle1
" stewardess " are you kidding? This is 2019. Why not call them a "stew", they love that. I am no lover of UA, but they do run a good, professional operation. It sounds like AS fits your needs. Surf's up! If you want to sit in the front of the plane, PAY FOR IT, like everyone else did. Unbelievable.
Aren't they called stews on private charter yachts? {Guilty of having watched Below Deck on Bravo TV.}

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.