Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does UA's trash award search refuse to show JFK/LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does UA's trash award search refuse to show JFK/LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The search function has been extremely buggy lately. I think they're doing lots of work on the back-end (no doubt to allow further "flyer friendly" revenue enhancements).

Every single time they've "updated" the website the functionality has decreased. It's exponentially less usable than it was say four years ago.
It is truly disgusting.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:09 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It is truly disgusting.
The humanity ...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TBD
The humanity ...
You may scoff, but a website that used to be SO GOOD at booking and changing complex awards now chokes at even the simplest of changes. Kacee is correct. The website continues to deteriorate with horrible cosmetic facelifts that do nothing to address its systemic underlying problems.
Kacee, scottpenderson and chavala like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Given that UA doesn’t fly out of JFK I am not surprised they suppress awards listings in a search.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I posted about this a few days ago on a different thread. The UA award search results seem inconsistent, and frequently defaults to EWR wether you enter JFK or NYC. The best workaround I can come up with (for now) is to carefully check the O/D in the search results, and adjust the station until the full set of NYC results appear.

And don’t use the UA app for this, use the UA website to receive increased flight options.

SL
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You may scoff, but a website that used to be SO GOOD at booking and changing complex awards now chokes at even the simplest of changes. Kacee is correct. The website continues to deteriorate with horrible cosmetic facelifts that do nothing to address its systemic underlying problems.
Every time they change the interface or the back-end, they create new bugs without fixing the old ones. If you're a frequent user, you get used to them, one at a time, but the ever-increasing limitations on search ability are super annoying (and real time wasters).
narvik, MatthewLAX and chavala like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Every time they change the interface or the back-end, they create new bugs without fixing the old ones. If you're a frequent user, you get used to them, one at a time, but the ever-increasing limitations on search ability are super annoying (and real time wasters).
"Time wasters" is exactly how I'd describe it.
It's taking ever longer to plan and book flights with UA that work and aren't prohibitively expensive. I can't help but think this is all by design by United to maximize turnover.
It is still possible, but-with great effort, and increasingly nuanced knowledge, to get a decent deal.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by narvik
"Time wasters" is exactly how I'd describe it.
It's taking ever longer to plan and book flights with UA that work and aren't prohibitively expensive. I can't help but think this is all by design by United to maximize turnover.
It is still possible, but-with great effort, and increasingly nuanced knowledge, to get a decent deal.
Seems like they are "enhancing" search to make it more and more difficult for anyone to redeem awards. Glad I packed up and left for AA years ago! Pretty much only fly UA or partners these days to burn off miles.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Seems like they are "enhancing" search to make it more and more difficult for anyone to redeem awards. Glad I packed up and left for AA years ago! Pretty much only fly UA or partners these days to burn off miles.
good luck with AA.
MatthewLAX and chavala like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Not being able to buy LH/NH F on JV routes bothers me as well.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Given that UA doesn’t fly out of JFK I am not surprised they suppress awards listings in a search.
Star Alliance partners do.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
good luck with AA.
My thought exactly! Try booking anything without having to call. UA’s website is a mess but still loads better that AA’s ever was.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1k
This has been happening to me for years -- clear your cookies, and start a new search (using NYC) -- that was always the problem for me.
Edit: or you could try an incognito window

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.