Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hemispheres march , 3 perfect days in ......NEWARK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hemispheres march , 3 perfect days in ......NEWARK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:55 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Three Perfect Minutes

1. Go to track #1 at Newark Penn Station.
2. Board next train to Manhattan.
3. Don't look back.
am1108 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:56 pm

I don’t know about 3 days but as a “New Yorker” in one of the outer boroughs, Newark is my choice for airports, concerts and sporting events. It has become so difficult to drive in to manhattan and I have never enjoyed being there at all. I only go to Manhattan once or twice per year and it’s always reluctantly.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Putting aside anecdote evidence about your experience at EWR, how many of you have actually spend time in Newark, NJ?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Well I think the activities described could be done in one day or so...

No comparison to Cleveland -- which has a world-class art museum, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame/museum, as well as a new contemporary art museum, and other ones, as well as major league sports teams--baseball, football, etc., and a Great Lake right there. Could do a day trip to Toledo which has tremendous Toledo Art Museum and the glass museum across the street.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Pretty sickened to see the comments in this thread. I think it’s a great thing and a public service that United features the city of one of its major hubs and hopefully brings some goodwill to the city. As a resident of nearby Jersey City, I made a point to visit one of the restaurants featured in the article last week (Vonda’s - excellent!). I can only imagine a business owner proud to be able to showcase this month stumbling across this shameful thread. Thanks Flyertalk, I’ve had enough of you for a few days. See you later.
Thank you!! I posted earlier about the investment opportunities in Newark. The "Newark hating" was an easy bandwagon for people to jump on and hence all the comments. Yes Newark can be a rough city, but for people to completely dismiss it as having no merit was pretty silly. No, I don't think one needs to spend three days exploring the city, but there are many things to visit that are quite worthwhile. If one wanted to do a three day stay of the greater Newark area, a 20 drive up to West Orange would allow one to tour the Thomas Edison National Historic Park, which is a really fascinating tour! Afterward head up the hill to the Eagle Rock reservation for a draw dropping view of the Manhattan skyline (if the weather is clear) along with a touching 9/11 memorial. There is also the small but respectable Montclair Art Museum in the area.
SteveHK likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I live in West Orange which is only a couple towns over. I've done plenty of the excursions highlighted on the trip including Branch Brook Park, Newark Museum, Marcus Samuelson's restaurant, the Ironbound, Jimenz Cigars, Dan's Hats and a bunch of other places not listed like the Italian section on Bloomfield Ave.

It's not the hell hole it once was if you know where to go but there are certainly places you should still avoid if you don't want to get axe murdered/car jacked.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:02 am

Growing up in Brooklyn, by the early 80s I was ready to leave after NYC and that borough had bottomed out the previous decade.

30 years later I’m not certain I could afford to live in Brooklyn.

Hoboken and Jersey City were dumps back in the day. Now trending like crazy.

My guess is most of those maligning Newark now won’t be able to afford it in about a decade.

Mike
SteveHK likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I read the article the other day on my flight - I thought it put Newark in a good light and while I don't think I'll hang out in Newark anytime soon except EWR, I found it interesting.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a yearly guest at the Hilton Newark Penn Station as it's cheap and convenient when I go to FT Event The Brooklyn Reality Tour and I'm a little disappointed it didn't make the list of hotels the author suggests staying at. Oh wait, no I'm not, it's the worst full service Hilton I've been to. Despite being there once or twice a year since 2014 I've never had any interest in exploring more of Newark, what I've seen from Ubers and walking to the train station is enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.