Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it really doesn't. Modern history suggests that a clean-sheet aircraft would have been plagued with different problems, such as the battery issue on the 787.

Or, to put it another way: the part of the 737 MAX that failed was, unsurprisingly, the newly-designed part. If you have a clean-sheet aircraft, you have more newly-designed parts.
Yes, however the 787 also didn't crash twice in less than half a year. No doubt new aircraft will have teething issues, they all do, and I have no problem with that reality. The problem I have is when they start killing people.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, however the 787 also didn't crash twice in less than half a year. No doubt new aircraft will have teething issues, they all do, and I have no problem with that reality. The problem I have is when they start killing people.
The 787 could have crashed and killed people. Same with the A380 in the Qantas accident as well or many other commercial aircraft accidents.

The plane will get fixed and be no different than any other aircraft flying commercially. Many of the problems people have with 737Max seem to be very arbitrary.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It certainly could have, though. The battery problems were serious enough that they required the fleet to be grounded.

When dealing with low-frequency events, you have to be extremely careful not to read too much into the data.

If the two crews of the crashed jets had been able to avert disaster, the MAX would still be flying, but it would be no more or less safe than it currently is.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Newman55
Same with the A380 in the Qantas accident as well or many other commercial aircraft accidents.
Not many people really appreciate how close QF32 came to crashing and killing everyone on board.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by fly18725
Yes, A321neo has pitch up issues: https://leehamnews.com/2019/07/19/bj...itch-up-issue/

Ask Bombardier or Mitsubishi about the issues they've had...
Does it have pitch issues and a MCAS style software fix that makes it fly like a A320ceo?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Does it have pitch issues and a MCAS style software fix that makes it fly like a A320ceo?
Aren't all Airbus aircraft essentially flown by the computer anyway? And since all controls are fly-by-wire any feedback a pilot would get on those is computer generated as well? So it shouldn't be too hard to program the computer in such a way that it maintains consistency across different types ...
IIRC this makes it actually fairly easy for pilots to transition between A319/A32x and A33x as well.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As I understand it, the design issue with the 737 is that it sits very low on the ground. This has resulted in modern engines (which have a hugely greater circumference than the ones of 40 years ago) sitting too low. They therefore are mounted forward of the wings, resulting in the imbalance. Would it not have been easier simply to change the landing gear so that the whole plane sat higher? I do recognise that pilots would have had to be trained to land the plane when it sits higher but that can't be too difficult.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As I understand it, the design issue with the 737 is that it sits very low on the ground. This has resulted in modern engines (which have a hugely greater circumference than the ones of 40 years ago) sitting too low. They therefore are mounted forward of the wings, resulting in the imbalance. Would it not have been easier simply to change the landing gear so that the whole plane sat higher? I do recognise that pilots would have had to be trained to land the plane when it sits higher but that can't be too difficult.
There is no issue with the positioning of the engines. MCAS is designed to respond to the additional lift in some situations provided by the larger nacelles. All neos have the same characteristics since they also have larger engines.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not only a different balance/center of gravity issue; a change in the edge-on profile of the wing, which as I understand it, contributes to greater lift at certain angles of attack.

https://leehamnews.com/wp-content/up...X-nacelles.png
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newman55
The 787 could have crashed and killed people. Same with the A380 in the Qantas accident as well or many other commercial aircraft accidents.

The plane will get fixed and be no different than any other aircraft flying commercially. Many of the problems people have with 737Max seem to be very arbitrary.
It certainly could have, though. The battery problems were serious enough that they required the fleet to be grounded.
Yes, they could have, but they didn't. The MAX however managed to not once, but twice and in a very short period of time, very soon after introduction. The MAX issues are deeper than a simple design bug or flaw. They are indicative of the haste with which the aircraft was conceived and produced as well as the corners that were cut to keep design and training costs down.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they could have, but they didn't.
You're applying the lottery fallacy. This is absolutely the wrong way to look at the situation.

At the risk of repeating myself, if the Lion Air and ET crews had both successfully followed the procedure for a runaway stabilizer -- the way the previous Lion Air flight did -- the 737 MAX would still be flying, and would be no more or less safe than it is today.

When you're dealing with low-probability events, any outcome-based logic is likely to be misleading.

In fact, you can easily argue that the 787 issue was more serious (in abstract), because while there is a procedure in place for a failed MCAS, I don't know of any procedure for an uncontained electrical fire (to be fair: there may be one of which I'm unaware).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
At the risk of repeating myself, if the Lion Air and ET crews had both successfully followed the procedure for a runaway stabilizer -- the way the previous Lion Air flight did -- the 737 MAX would still be flying, and would be no more or less safe than it is today.
Did the "previous Lion Air flight" [deleted by moderator] not porpoise before it recovered? Did it not scare the bejeezus out of the passengers?

Is a plane model "safe" as long as it makes it to the ground, even if it scares the bejeezus out of the passengers every once in a while?

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 25, 2019 at 3:03 pm Reason: inappropriate/offensive comment removed
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
As soon as the A320 needs software like MCAS stick a fork in it. ^
Airbus's design philosophy is that pilots assist the avionics instead of vice-versa (which USED to be the Boeing philosophy) so every Airbus has software equivalent to what MCAS is being accused of. MCAS was supposed to simply make the aircraft FEEL like previous generations of 737s when under manual control, matching the flight characteristics to what pilots certified on prior generations of 737s expected and would react instinctively to. So how many forks would you like to stick in your A{irbus}###?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 26, 2019 at 12:03 pm Reason: restored Airbus comment
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Did the "previous Lion Air flight" not porpoise before it recovered? Did it not scare the bejeezus out of the passengers?

Is a plane model "safe" as long as it makes it to the ground, even if it scares the bejeezus out of the passengers every once in a while?
A plane model is safe when it is certified for commercial operations.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 25, 2019 at 3:03 pm Reason: mod edit to quote
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, you can easily argue that the 787 issue was more serious (in abstract), because while there is a procedure in place for a failed MCAS, I don't know of any procedure for an uncontained electrical fire (to be fair: there may be one of which I'm unaware).
One can certainly argue this. However the reality is that it never became a more serious issue. In contrast, the presence of an MCAS system for the sole purpose of avoiding pilot training and aircraft certification costs, did. And that is what really is the most troubling component of all of this.

Originally Posted by fly18725
A plane model is safe when it is certified for commercial operations.
Clearly it is not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.