Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubord
Ok, I’ll bite.

Respectfully, {there is} politics and postering involved between APA and American Airlines management. Exactly what transpired there (events prior to the ET crash) will come through the news cycle at some point.
It's already come through. The audio was leaked. The pilots were apparently unaware that they were being recorded. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-...es-2019-05-14/ This is old news.

The pilots were almost certainly speaking their minds in what they thought was a private setting. The decision to leak the audio was likely motivated by (as you say) politics, posturing, and union negotiations, but the actual content of the audio is almost certainly honest.

And, again, there was Capt. Sullenberger's testimony in front of Congress.

Some here have implied that because we have one expert posting here, we should just take his opinion as gospel. My point is that that doesn't really make sense, because we have the exact opposite opinion from others who have the same level of expertise. The only thing that we can really conclude is that the experts disagree.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 11, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
And...if this was truly simply a matter of providing training or re-training to pilots on how to recover from a runaway stabilizer trim...then why is the plane still grounded? Why not simply roll that training out and be back in the air quickly, without all the attendant cost accruing now?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'll stand with Sully.
When was the last time Sully flew a 737?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Some here have implied that because we have one expert posting here, we should just take his opinion as gospel. My point is that that doesn't really make sense, because we have the exact opposite opinion from others who have the same level of expertise. The only thing that we can really conclude is that the experts disagree.
I haven't seen anyone saying to take anyone's opinion as gospel, and we have no way to judge the level of expertise of either the pilots who contribute here or the AA pilots who were recorded. When these comments first came out, someone asked about them; my response then, as it is now, is that pilots are human too. I can sympathize; there was little solid information about what had happened.

There's also a difference between saying that Boeing should have provided this information (I agree) and that they needed to provide this information in order to allow for safe operation of the plane (I disagree). Every system should be documented, but that doesn't mean that every pilot should be required to memorize the minute details. If there were a new procedure due to the MCAS, then certainly they'd need training for that. There wasn't.

And...if this was truly simply a matter of providing training or re-training to pilots on how to recover from a runaway stabilizer trim...then why is the plane still grounded? Why not simply roll that training out and be back in the air quickly, without all the attendant cost accruing now?
Because Boeing -- and the regulatory agencies, and the flying public -- would rather not take the risk that another crew will ignore the proper procedure if a runaway stabilizer should occur?

This isn't particularly complicated:

1 - It is possible to recover from a stabilizer failure
2 - If the stabilizer on the MAX is substantially more likely to fail than the stabilizer on the NG, it is appropriate to address that tendency.

Both of these statements can be true simultaneously.

There is no such thing as a perfectly safe plane. A stabilizer could fail on a 737 NG tonight, and it could end up precipitating a crash, because airplanes are imperfect, and pilots are human. It just makes sense -- for everyone involved -- to improve the MAX so that it will enter an emergency state less frequently.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:33 pm

This is quite different from the “ground the plane forever because people died” mindset.

A core part of modern aviation is continuous improvement based on exhausting analysis of robust data sets. While I - and many others - are confident the MAX could continue to be operated safely, regulators identified items that needed to be changed to improve safety. Because of the initial hysteria, it would be imprudent to return the airplane to service until these items are completed, even if the aircraft could be operated safely.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725

This is quite different from the “ground the plane forever because people died” mindset.

Which post, anywhere on this thread or others, has ever said "ground the plane forever because people died?"

I know that some posters believe the plane is inherently unstable because of the position of the engines, so they are saying "ground the plane forever because it's an awful design. " That's significantly different than your posit.

Because of the initial hysteria,
It is just as inappropriate to use the term "hysteria" as it would be for me to describe MAX advocates as "heartless."

it would be imprudent to return the airplane to service until these items are completed, even if the aircraft could be operated safely.
Apparently at least the Europeans are discovering more "items to complete."

https://samchui.com/2019/07/10/easa-...topilot-fault/

The five requirements the European Aviation Safety Agency have listed so far are as follows:
  • Reduce the difficulty manually turning the trim wheel
  • Address the unreliability of Angle of Attack sensors
  • Address the training situation
  • Investigate software issues with a lagging microprocessor
  • < the autopilot failing to disengage in certain emergencies>

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2019 at 4:51 pm Reason: see Moderator note
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
It's already come through. The audio was leaked. The pilots were apparently unaware that they were being recorded. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-...es-2019-05-14/ This is old news.

The pilots were almost certainly speaking their minds in what they thought was a private setting. The decision to leak the audio was likely motivated by (as you say) politics, posturing, and union negotiations, but the actual content of the audio is almost certainly honest.

And, again, there was Capt. Sullenberger's testimony in front of Congress.

Please re-read my post #1977 . The audio you noted was the confrontation with Boeing officials - not at all what I was referring to. That is old news as you correctly stated.

The initial confrontation between APA and AAL management about the MAX prior to the ET accident is why that particular pilot group is so vocal. Not only were they misled by Boeing, (as were all B737 Pilots), it was their own company leadership that was (allegedly) less than supportive. It is my understanding that they knew there was an issue but concerns were quickly dismissed. These guys are pissed, feel betrayed, and the repercussions are working the way up the chain through Boeing and now to Congress via Sully; a great man but still from the family (via USAPA). He is obviously an intelligent individual and fully capable of handling himself, but the pre-testimony brief and fact prep before Congress was definitely not done by ALPA, lets be honest.

Sully is not going to stand in front of Congress and place blame solely on third world pilots with little flight time, that's not going to happen. However, I'm afraid to say that a lack of experience will be a contributing factor in each of these accidents. The botched recovery procedures for Runaway Trim at uncontrollable speeds unfortunately paint the picture of a complete lack of situational awareness.

Capt. Sullenberger's narrative was that Boeing is culpable and they deserve to be accountable for these accidents. That's the message he delivered, one that lines up nearly identical with the APA public campaign. I personally thought he did a great job.

Last edited by clubord; Jul 12, 2019 at 1:22 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently at least the Europeans are discovering more "items to complete."

https://samchui.com/2019/07/10/easa-...topilot-fault/
From that article:

Past and present engineers within the aviation industry have flagged the aircraft as unsafe to fly because it is not a software problem, it is a structural problem that required the MCAS system in the first place.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along, since the beginning. The problem is not that MCAS sucks, the problem is that the plane needs MCAS. Fixing MCAS does not fix the problem.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:02 pm

From that article:

Past and present engineers within the aviation industry have flagged the aircraft as unsafe to fly because it is not a software problem, it is a structural problem that required the MCAS system in the first place.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along, since the beginning. The problem is not that MCAS sucks, the problem is that the plane needs MCAS. Fixing MCAS does not fix the problem.
And has been said before, nearly every commercial airplane has a pitch augmentation system.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Perhaps, however the aircraft shouldn't automatically initiate a runaway trim situation on its own, and that's the core of the issue here.
Every trim runway (from the electric trim system itself, or any system that can actuate the electric trim system like STS or MCAS) is automatically initiated by the aircraft. Otherwise it wouldn't be a trim runaway!

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I have a simple prospective on this ( an engineering but not close to aviation ) flying ~ 100 segments and 200-300K/year.

Something is very wrong, new airplane should really be less at risk
Your "simple perspective" on risk is literally the opposite of how any new product works. New products have more risk.

First and foremost, politics. Also, public relations.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
First and foremost, politics. Also, public relations.
No the MAX remains grounded because "politics" along with "public relations" broke Boeing's grip over the FAA. The FAA is now doing the type of testing of the revised MCAS system that was not done before MCAS was rolled out. As part of that testing, other safety issues were identified, which Boeing is now required to fix. The EU evidently also identified issues with the Autopilot that they want fixed. See generally. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b1ef697af252

The MAX is grounded because regulators are now looking carefully at Boeing's handiwork, and not liking what they are finding. I am not suggesting that if you looked carefully at an Airbus or any other jet you might not have similar issues crop up, but real issues, not "politics" have kept the MAX grounded.

The entire MAX program was a rushed response to the neo, with Boeing responding to AAL's purchase of the A320/321 and threat to place another big order unless Boeing got off the pot. Yet, the situation was created by Boeings's failure to come up with a new narrow body, which was the result of an unwillingness to invest and the lack of engineering resources with the 787 issues. Boeing is now paying a heavy price for its now 15 year strategy of trying to maximize profits by offshoring and reducing investment.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:16 am

Norwegian Air boss quits as airline reels from 737 Max groundings ...
Norwegian Air’s longstanding chief executive Bjorn Kjos has quit the top job, amid warnings the struggling carrier’s full-year results will take a hit from the Boeing 737 Max grounding.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And has been said before, nearly every commercial airplane has a pitch augmentation system.
And has been said before, no other commercial airplane has crashed and killed 350 in two separate accidents five months apart, less than a year after rollout.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I have only seen generic descriptions on the problem (i.e. what was in your link). I would need to see a sufficiently detailed technical explanation of the problem before I could draw conclusions.
Kinda like the sufficiently detailed technical explanation of MCAS that Boeing offered to airlines and operators prior to unleashing this hot mess on the world?

A core part of modern aviation is continuous improvement based on exhausting analysis of robust data sets.
Agreed, unfortunately the 737MAX returns us to roughly to about a 1950s level safety. There was absolutely no improvement on that with this aircraft, only decades of regression.

Originally Posted by mduell
Every trim runway (from the electric trim system itself, or any system that can actuate the electric trim system like STS or MCAS) is automatically initiated by the aircraft. Otherwise it wouldn't be a trim runaway!
And yet somehow the rest of the world's aircraft don't typically tend to fly themselves into the ground at a rate of 2 every 5 months.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:37 am

And has been said before, no other commercial airplane has crashed and killed 350 in two separate accidents five months apart, less than a year after rollout.
Which is why the airplane is grounded until changes are made...

There is critical loss of nuance in this discussion. Until there’s are accident reports and an understanding whether any deficiencies in design were the result of Boeing’s negligence, placing blame is hysteria.

Although it is a tragedy that people died, we have to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.