Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Newsworthy story?

"Seeks said he bought 300 Boeing shares in early March, and sold them at a loss within the last two weeks."

Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by spin88

Giving up on the MAX10 would be basically handing orders to Airbus for the A321neo.
A321NEO is raison d'etre for MAX 10 @:-)

While MAX has lots of orders, Airbus was eating Boeing's lunch with A321, and Boeing felt it had to respond.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:41 pm

Friday meeting:

"FAA to Meet With U.S. Airlines, Pilot Unions on Boeing 737 MAX"

https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...boeing-737-max

Originally Posted by narvik
Newsworthy story?

"Seeks said he bought 300 Boeing shares in early March, and sold them at a loss within the last two weeks."

It is not so much about the class plaintiff's facts, it is just that some law firm wants the case filed in hopes of being the class counsel, representing all plaintiffs similarly situated. So you look to the other plaintiffs who may be brought into the class actions, and the fact that another lawsuit will be digging up a lot of facts.

Last edited by BF263533; Apr 11, 2019 at 2:58 pm Reason: Include reply to class action
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone who bought AND sold in March should have known they were taking a loss. Wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't do that with the express purpose of establishing a basis for class action.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:50 pm Reason: OT; OMNI comment removed
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Anyone who bought AND sold in March should have known they were taking a loss. Wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't do that with the express purpose of establishing a basis for class action.
... this case may dig up a lot of helpful information that Boeing would not otherwise reveal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:50 pm Reason: Remove response to deleted content; Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by BF263533
It is not so much about the class plaintiff's facts, it is just that some law firm wants the case filed in hopes of being the class counsel, representing all plaintiffs similarly situated.
Aye. Like the time I was offered ~$1.37 from a class action, where the law firm(s) were likely cashing in millions?

I also consider someone buying and selling Boeing shares in such a short period of time rather dubious.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Well, it looks like it will be a while more... AA just pulled the MAX8 till August. SWA did the same. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.58859d79d3c5 Given that this is the busy summer season, this suggests no quick fix, and disruption to come when peak summer season leaves the airlines with fewer spares and in UA's case, full demand for the wid-body fleet that they have been using to back fill..
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:38 pm

Well, it looks like it will be a while more... AA just pulled the MAX8 till August. SWA did the same. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.58859d79d3c5 Given that this is the busy summer season, this suggests no quick fix, and disruption to come when peak summer season leaves the airlines with fewer spares and in UA's case, full demand for the wid-body fleet that they have been using to back fill..
A bit off topic, but I wonder how this will impact the Polaris conversion program.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It is easier to add airplanes back into the schedule on short notice than it is to remove them. Airlines will want to have the airplanes off the schedule before the crew planning process starts which is about four months out.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by east_west
A bit off topic, but I wonder how this will impact the Polaris conversion program.
I don't think its OT, it was my first thought. UA would have had 20-22 MAX9s by this summer, and there are certain things it can do (e.g. fly to Hawaii) that UA will have trouble replicating w/o wide-body lift. I would think that they would not want to have any 763s nor 772s in conversion over the June-August period, or they are going to have to cancel flights or run a less reliable operation due to lack of spares.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

The Mullenburg

President Trump suggested rebranding the 737 Max. I suggest it be named "The Mullenburg"

Just like the L1011 was known as the "Tristar"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:43 pm

I'm guessing that Boeing will have to slow the speed of production even more
United Airlines is canceling 737 Max flights through early July
Washington (CNN)United Airlines says it is canceling flights through "early July" because of the Boeing 737 Max grounding.
The airline joins other US carriers — American and Southwest — that have canceled 737 Max flights to avoid disruption as people book flights for the upcoming travel season.
"We've used spare aircraft and other creative solutions to help our customers ... get where they are going," United spokesman Frank Benenati said in a statement Monday. "But, it's harder to make those changes at the peak of the busy summer travel season."
All of Boeing's Max planes were grounded worldwide last month after a 737 Max jet flown by Ethiopian Airlines pilots crashed in that country, killing everyone aboard. It was the second fatal crash involving a Max in recent months.
United (UAL) said the initial decision to take the planes out of service affected "roughly 40 flights a day" at the time. The company doesn't fly any Max 8 jets, the type of plane that was involved in both of the fatal incidents. But it does have 14 Max 9s, which are a slightly longer version of the Max 8.
Other US airlines have even more Max planes in their fleets. Southwest (LUV), which flies 34 Max jets, said last week that it would cancel Max flights through August 5. American (AAL), which has 24 of the planes, said Sunday it would cancel about 115 daily flights through August 19.
The Federal Aviation Administration held a meeting Friday with officials from the three US airlines. The FAA said authorities discussed input from 737 Max pilots and operators "as the agency evaluates what needs to be done before the FAA makes a decision to return the aircraft to service."
Investigators are still probing the cause of the Ethiopian crash, as well as the other Max crash involving a Lion Air jet last October.
The focus of the crash investigations is the plane's automatic safety system, for which Boeing says it is developing a software fix. Last Thursday, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said about two-thirds of the more than 50 customers from various airlines have been able to test the software patch using a flight simulator.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Goes to my earlier prediction that it could be Q4 2019 or more like Q1 2020 before these will fly again. I came across multiple news report stating that Boeing bounced back after grounding the 787 for 3 months and similarly they will do so with the MAX'es. Why do they not state the fact that MAX'es have killed ~350 people where the 787 did not so was able to get back without much fanfare? Shows the inherent bias of the articles.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Goes to my earlier prediction that it could be Q4 2019 or more like Q1 2020 before these will fly again. I came across multiple news report stating that Boeing bounced back after grounding the 787 for 3 months and similarly they will do so with the MAX'es. Why do they not state the fact that MAX'es have killed ~350 people where the 787 did not so was able to get back without much fanfare? Shows the inherent bias of the articles.
Or perhaps because readers likely knew?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I don't think its OT, it was my first thought. UA would have had 20-22 MAX9s by this summer, and there are certain things it can do (e.g. fly to Hawaii) that UA will have trouble replicating w/o wide-body lift. I would think that they would not want to have any 763s nor 772s in conversion over the June-August period, or they are going to have to cancel flights or run a less reliable operation due to lack of spares.
Or pull some planes out of storage (assuming they have any that could quickly be restored to service)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.