Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Boeing decided a computer would have to handle the COG issue...that's too complex IMO.
It's not a CG issue.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mduell
It's not a CG issue.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ion-air-crash/

Fehrm said Boeing must have added this system on the MAX because when the angle of attack is high this model is less stable compared to prior 737 variants. That’s because the MAX has bigger, heavier engines that are also cantilevered further forward on the wing to provide more ground clearance. That changes the center of gravity.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, a widely quoted factoid with very little actual understanding. No doubt it's different, but the engine location is completely static throughout flight. They also made a bunch of changes to the back of the aircraft that move the CG.

MCAS has nothing to do with the CG location.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Ever anybody thought about that lack of proper pilot training might be a factor?
Why did only 2 3rd world airlines had a crash and all the other carriers not even near misses?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, a widely quoted factoid with very little actual understanding. No doubt it's different, but the engine location is completely static throughout flight. They also made a bunch of changes to the back of the aircraft that move the CG.

MCAS has nothing to do with the CG location.
MCAS was added to the 737MAXes. It is NOT on the 737NG's. Why?

And why give all pilots less than 3 hours of training on the new system, via iPad, without any simulator training required, and no mention of the new system in the flight manuals of the 737MAX?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Ever anybody thought about that lack of proper pilot training might be a factor?
Why did only 2 3rd world airlines had a crash and all the other carriers not even near misses?
Yes. They're not identifying a problem and following a 5 decade old procedure.

MCAS was added to the 737MAXes. It is NOT on the 737NG's. Why?

And why give all pilots less than 3 hours of training on the new system, via iPad, without any simulator training required, and no mention of the new system in the flight manuals of the 737MAX?
To make the handling characteristics of the MAX more like the NG.

Because they went to great lengths to keep the aircraft similar to the prior gen, and minimize the training differences. The runaway pitch trim procedure is completely unchanged.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:37 pm

Because they went to great lengths to keep the aircraft similar to the prior gen, and minimize the training differences. The runaway pitch trim procedure is completely unchanged.
Maintaining commonality is also why the cockpit displays show information similar to the 737NG even though there is capability to do things differently.

This is not a unique consideration and the focus on commonality can be seen in every Airbus and Boeing product.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. They're not identifying a problem and following a 5 decade old procedure.

To make the handling characteristics of the MAX more like the NG.

But the systems that can create a runaway pitch down are now different. @:-)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the systems that can create a runaway pitch down are now different.
And?

You're arguing both sides of the same coin here. You've insisted, repeatedly, that the 737 MAX is too complicated, but you also want every single detail explained to the pilot.

The entire point of the MCAS is that it's not supposed to be noticeable to an experienced pilot -- it's supposed to make the MAX fly like an NG.

{Y}ou've actually hit onto a critical point here -- it's entirely possible that these crashes would have occurred if there were a stabilizer emergency in a 737NG. There isn't enough information to be sure, and there likely won't be for a long time. The MCAS may have been responsible for the emergency situation -- again, we don't yet know, although preliminary information supports that hypothesis -- but, as has been pointed out repeatedly on this thread by people who know much more about avionics than I do, there are many other systems that may have led to the same catastrophic result.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: merging posts by same member
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by skidooman
Back in the days, Mitsubishi was told to start their certification process from scratch regarding software, which involved software rewrite, because they did not correctly obeyed DO-178 requirements...

I am sure that this won't happen to Boeing. This what should happen logically - maybe not redesign, but at least go through certification from scratch since there is a strong doubt this was done properly. But it won't happen because just like Airbus 320 program the Boeing 737 program is way, way too big and way, way too critical to the world's economy. It is simply too big to fail.

So the FAA will let them get away with a patch, training, perhaps a small redesign for newly built airframes. Other jurisdictions like Europe and China will take more time as they have national champion to "help". But they will relent...
If I was Boeing, I'd be very wary of pushing for too much leeway on this front. There's probably a risk that if the FAA half-asses the recertification process to Boeing's advantage then Europe, China, Canada, etc. might reject the recertification. Payback is a ....., and after the C-series affair I don't think too many of their competitors will think twice.

And I had a very interesting discussion at the Royal York with an ex-Boeing guy last week about issues with the MAX's center of gravity...so there's a chance this might be gossip or it might be the gift that keeps on giving.

(It's actually only the second-most interesting hotel bar chat I've had...#1 was a deep dive on medical industry pricing practices at Dragon*Con a few years back.)
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not Boeing's responsibility to protect them from their own bad choices.
But if Boeing does not do it, it will backfire. When Boeing planes start falling out of the sky, it hurts the whole company, as is happening right now.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the people running an airline are too stupid or too cheap to buy systems appropriate for the experience and training of their pilots, why should this be blamed on Boeing? It's not Boeing's responsibility to protect them from their own bad choices. It's not like they're selling aircraft directly to hobby pilots who wouldn't be expected to know anything about the systems. More choice should be better.
To counter that position, if the manufacturer is telling me that X is very much an optional extra, why am I going to buy it? So this comes down to the sales pitch...was Boeing pushing the "extra" here or not? Of course, it feels a bit like my car manufacturer trying to tell me that my brake light or ABS system light is an optional extra.

Moreover, when it comes to things like warning lights, I would argue that it is the manufacturer's responsibility. There's a difference between requiring "idiot-proofing" a plane and including some sort of clear indication when a given automated system is engaged that has the potential to, y'know, crash the plane. And even if we stipulate that it wasn't seen as necessary, given that Boeing was working out a fix after the first crash, there's a strong case that they should have raised the issue and made the "option" automatic after the first crash.

Edit: It is also worth noting that it isn't the pilots making these decisions, it is somebody in an office somewhere. So in a sense you're not protecting the airline from their own bad decision, you're protecting employees with potentially no say in the decision-making process and passengers with absolutely no ability to make an educated decision here from management making an unsafe decision. At least if (to use an example) I buy a car with a known safety issue (say, a defective airbag system) I'm probably only endangering myself and my passengers. If an airline does this, they're endangering anywhere from 50-500 pax at a go (depending on the plane).

Allowing such behavior is really only allowable (morally) in my mind if in letting them do so, you also jerk away liability protections if they want to "live dangerously".

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Mar 24, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but a "crash" that kills no one absolutely does not equal a crash that kills 150. @:-)
This one only killed 3 out of 307, and might have killed fewer if seatbelt compliance during landing had been better and the fire trucks driven a little more carefully. Does it not count the same as a crash that killed 150?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
To counter that position, if the manufacturer is telling me that X is very much an optional extra, why am I going to buy it? So this comes down to the sales pitch...was Boeing pushing the "extra" here or not? Of course, it feels a bit like my car manufacturer trying to tell me that my brake light or ABS system light is an optional extra.

Moreover, when it comes to things like warning lights, I would argue that it is the manufacturer's responsibility. There's a difference between requiring "idiot-proofing" a plane and including some sort of clear indication when a given automated system is engaged that has the potential to, y'know, crash the plane. And even if we stipulate that it wasn't seen as necessary, given that Boeing was working out a fix after the first crash, there's a strong case that they should have raised the issue and made the "option" automatic after the first crash.

Edit: It is also worth noting that it isn't the pilots making these decisions, it is somebody in an office somewhere. So in a sense you're not protecting the airline from their own bad decision, you're protecting employees with potentially no say in the decision-making process and passengers with absolutely no ability to make an educated decision here from management making an unsafe decision. At least if (to use an example) I buy a car with a known safety issue (say, a defective airbag system) I'm probably only endangering myself and my passengers. If an airline does this, they're endangering anywhere from 50-500 pax at a go (depending on the plane).

Allowing such behavior is really only allowable (morally) in my mind if in letting them do so, you also jerk away liability protections if they want to "live dangerously".
hang on a second,I think it’s actually way worse than this.

Forget about warning lights, not only were they selling these things as an ‘extra’, but they also decided that airlines and pilots didn’t need to know about MCAS at all, since it was going to be working in the background. All presumably because their goal was to tell airlines that hey, you’ve already got pilots trained on 737s, and you don’t need to spend thousands of $ re-training them because this aircraft is ‘the same’. So why would you go to Airbus. They somehow got the FAA to go along with this (presumably, FAA knew about MCAS - in fact, supposedly, they required it).

Personally, I think that aside from modifying a decades old design that probably should have been a new design from scratch, hiding MCAS from the airlines and the people who needed to know about it the most - the pilots flying the damned plane - is the worst transgression, and I think Boeing is going to (and probably should) pay dearly for it.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
hiding MCAS from the airlines and the people who needed to know about it the most - the pilots flying the damned plane - is the worst transgression, and I think Boeing is going to (and probably should) pay dearly for it.
They didn’t “hide” anything. Boeing thought the difference wasn’t that big of a deal, I mean Airbus has had the same system since 1986. There’s hundereds of other differences between the MAX and NG that Boeing probably doesn’t feel are pertinent to the operation of the plane, so they don’t make it part of their training. It doesn’t mean that Boeing hid some kind of known crash trigger in their plane and then decided not to tell anyone. That defies all logic. What happend with MCAS wasn’t expected. It wasn’t anticipated. I’m sure there are difference with the NEO that airbus feels isn’t necessary to make a pilot aware of . It’s an unfortunate growing pain of technology. Avaition history is littered it. But for some reason humans forget the past and love to laser focus on the present.

However, when the problems do manifest themselves, and people are trained to mitigate issues by said problem, and then don’t follow through on that training then there’s a issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.