Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mduell
How many times has United, with a 737 fleet ten times the size, run it off the runway leading to a writeoff and hospitalization in the last decade?

They don't have to kill everyone on board every time to show that they're not an example of a good operator.

Is it really any different if they've merely killed everyone on board only 7% of their 737 fleet in the last decade?
Air France killed everyone on board with 17% of their Concorde fleet. Is Air France not an example of a good operator?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Redundant systems with verification is neither cheap nor easy. An AoA disagree indicator is an option on the MAX; CNBC said it's $80k.
Aircraft have redundant systems where it makes sense to take on the complexity and cost to design and build them right and certify them.
Are your HA data systems certified? Does it cost $80k to put a disagree light on them?
Plenty of things could be done to improve the safety of air transportation, but there's a cost (and schedule) tradeoff for every one of them. It doesn't make sense to gold plate every system on the plane in case the crew throws their training out the window.
Way, way more than $80k to make sure those systems are data integral. Built plenty of multi-million dollar HA (not even fault tolerant) systems in my time ... Protecting the data (something’s wrong here, I’m not going to write any suspect data) is a much different problem to solve than trying to recover from the fault. I can almost guarantee you've used one or more of the systems I've built (without knowing it of course) - can't get into details about what or why, but it's not governmental... but certified, yes. I've had to sign off to people who care about such things on the level of redundancy and integrity in the design.

I’m not suggesting a recovery system by any means; I agree that’s excessive in many cases. But on inputs that have redundancy, there could very easily be a system to scrub through them at some frequency and if sensor A and B have disagreeing output, outside of tolerance, it could just post a warning to the display.

“Pitot disagree - check output”
”Airspeed disagree - check output”

Just something - not in critical path - to bring attention to sensors that should agree, but don’t.

It’s easy enough to do if the sensors already exist.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Perfect. Let's start.

One thing we SHOULDN'T be doing is adding unnecessary complexity in 21st Century aircraft. @:-)
We better ground the 787 and A350 stat.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725

We better ground the 787 and A350 stat.
If there is unnecessary complexity in those planes, we should. So far, we haven't seen two of those planes kill everyone five months apart.

And we actually DID ground the 787 for far less.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:56 pm

If there is unnecessary complexity in those planes, we should. So far, we haven't seen two of those planes kill everyone five months apart.

When does complexity become unnecessary?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725

When does complexity become unnecessary?
When it interferes with the ANC mantra of the pilots: Aviate, navigate, communicate.

If you're just completing takeoff, you're 800 feet above the ground, and the nose suddenly pitches down unexpectedly because the damn engines are too far forward and Boeing decided a computer would have to handle the COG issue...that's too complex IMO.

Nope, not a pilot. Just a lowly passenger. Luckily, a still-alive one.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think the MAX's fate will be determined by the foreign carriers that have them on order. After most of the foreign carriers grounded their MAX's then the USA did. If most of the foreign carriers were to cancel their orders, then there would be pressure on US airlines to cancel.

Some analysis have said the MAX is too big to be cancelled. By does it make sense to build 4,000 of these for use over the next 45 years. I agree with others, in today's time - a flawed design should not have happened. If Boeing knew it was flawed and then proceeded to continue with it - then that is an issue.

I just don't see 4,000 of these being built. More carriers will cancel. US airlines may stick with it, but Boeing will be forced to replace it with a new design over the next 5 years.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cova
I think the MAX's fate will be determined by the foreign carriers that have them on order. After most of the foreign carriers grounded their MAX's then the USA did. If most of the foreign carriers were to cancel their orders, then there would be pressure on US airlines to cancel.

Some analysis have said the MAX is too big to be cancelled. By does it make sense to build 4,000 of these for use over the next 45 years. I agree with others, in today's time - a flawed design should not have happened. If Boeing knew it was flawed and then proceeded to continue with it - then that is an issue.

I just don't see 4,000 of these being built. More carriers will cancel. US airlines may stick with it, but Boeing will be forced to replace it with a new design over the next 5 years.
I'll repeat what I said upthread. The business case for the MAX is that a very large number of airlines fly the 737, including very large ULCCs (e.g. SWA and RyanAir) which only have this type. Boeing was beaten to the punch by the neo as they delayed a new narrow-body due to the impact of the 787 production/design delays, then the battery grounding. Existing Operators went to Boeing (especially AA) and make clear that Boeing needed to move quick, which it did with the MAX.

The business case for the MAX - pilots not needing training on a new type, and substantial parts commonality, but with 15% higher fuel burn, exists regardless of the fact that the A/C is a dog. SWA or RyanAir are not going to add a second/new airbus type to their fleet.

I think Boeing will lose a few orders, and perhaps will lose a few new orders they otherwise might have gotten to the neo (or the new C series jets) but overall the business case does not change. Boeing will (a) change the software, (b) tie it to the second AoA sensor, and have an indication to the pilot if they disagree, and (c) will provide more training, problem solved.

I think the only real impact we see may be on the MAX10. It has further risks with its telescoping landing gear, and is not so hot of a plane to start with. If there are cancellations, that is where I would expect to see them.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Um, NO.

There IS a way to deal with MCAS @:-) More than one pilot posted about that.

LiOn battery catching on fire? Not so much @:-)

Luckily this did not happen in flight. Lucky on oh so many fronts .....
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, NO.

There IS a way to deal with MCAS @:-) More than one pilot posted about that.

LiOn battery catching on fire? Not so much @:-)

Luckily this did not happen in flight. Lucky on oh so many fronts .....
I agree. Luckily the 787 didn't kill anyone before it was grounded and fixed.

The 737MAX DID kill 350 people before it was grounded and (possibly) fixed.

And when it returns to the air (hopefully with proper training, including purpose-built simulators, if not outright different type certification), I'll wait a year or so to ensure that no one else augers into the ground. <shrugs>
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
The business case for the MAX - pilots not needing training on a new type, and substantial parts commonality, but with 15% higher fuel burn, exists regardless of the fact that the A/C is a dog. SWA or RyanAir are not going to add a second/new airbus type to their fleet.
(highlighted by me)

Did you actually mean "lower fuel burn"?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:32 am

Air France killed everyone on board with 17% of their Concorde fleet. Is Air France not an example of a good operator?
Well Air France did stall an A330 at cruise in one of the worst displays of airmanship ever so........

The ET crash in Beirut was also a pathetic job of flying a plane, and then to have the Ethiopian authorities completely disregard all evidence in an effort to protect ET’s brand makes me wonder why everyone is after Boeing and the FAA, when clearly the operators in both crashes have shown an inclination towards poor operational standards.
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Way, way more than $80k to make sure those systems are data integral. Built plenty of multi-million dollar HA (not even fault tolerant) systems in my time ... Protecting the data (something’s wrong here, I’m not going to write any suspect data) is a much different problem to solve than trying to recover from the fault. I can almost guarantee you've used one or more of the systems I've built (without knowing it of course) - can't get into details about what or why, but it's not governmental... but certified, yes. I've had to sign off to people who care about such things on the level of redundancy and integrity in the design.

I’m not suggesting a recovery system by any means; I agree that’s excessive in many cases. But on inputs that have redundancy, there could very easily be a system to scrub through them at some frequency and if sensor A and B have disagreeing output, outside of tolerance, it could just post a warning to the display.

“Pitot disagree - check output”
”Airspeed disagree - check output”

Just something - not in critical path - to bring attention to sensors that should agree, but don’t.

It’s easy enough to do if the sensors already exist.
would a disagree light in this instance help? It the pilot doesn’t have the presence of mind to disconnect a system that is fighting him, especially after receiving recent training to do so, is some technical data going to save them at that point?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 5:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
That's an extreme overreaction and wholly unnecessary.

Is there a problem? Clearly, yes.
Has the root cause been identified? Yes.
Is a fix feasible and practical? Yes.
Will it be implemented quickly? Also, yes.

This is not a structural integrity issue; it's a software and wetware problem.

That said... the new MOM aircraft (i.e. 757X) can't get here quickly enough.
The thing that I am not happy about in this unfolding story,is that there seem to be fundamental items for controlling the systems that were sold as upgrades
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
The thing that I am not happy about in this unfolding story,is that there seem to be fundamental items for controlling the systems that were sold as upgrades
If the people running an airline are too stupid or too cheap to buy systems appropriate for the experience and training of their pilots, why should this be blamed on Boeing? It's not Boeing's responsibility to protect them from their own bad choices. It's not like they're selling aircraft directly to hobby pilots who wouldn't be expected to know anything about the systems. More choice should be better.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
A long article, but some useful (prescient?) thoughts with a more general view about aircraft automation, control damping and how pilots react to (rarely) encountered problems nowadays.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/busi...ash?verso=true

(My apologies if it is linked here, but I didn't see it in a quick search.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.