Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by mduell
The DER system is standard throughout industry and the western world (e.g. DOA for EASA). Disappointed to see this piece out of that paper.
That may now be the standard but in that case what role does the government agency serve if it truly is more self-regulation? That is not a nuance I had previously understood. Why have any oversight when it is all done by the OEM? Perhaps others understood this was the standard but I did not - it actually makes me question the certification process.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I would have thought the customers of the FAA were the flying public not the OEMs and airlines.
The FAA has a dual mandate - promoting safety and promoting the industry. The latter is much more of a driving force these days (I would say since the 80s).

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
what role does the government agency serve if it truly is more self-regulation?
Oversight.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The FAA has a dual mandate - promoting safety and promoting the industry. The latter is much more of a driving force these days (I would say since the 80s).

Oversight.
But that means it is essentially self certification by the manufacturer. So what is the "oversight"? I am a layperson in this area, but in my professional life I have self regulation and there is a significant bite from the government agency that regulates me if I do wrong. I am only dealing with people's money not their lives.

I think this incident has highlighted to me and others that essentially the government has let the industry oversight be managed by the "inmates" (OEMs and airlines). :

So FAA certified really means Boeing certified.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No, that's not at all what it means. Read up on the DER to improve your understanding of their capabilities and limitations.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The FAA has a dual mandate - promoting safety and promoting the industry.
The dual mandate was removed a number of years ago. The FAA no longer has any role promoting the industry.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The dual mandate was removed a number of years ago. The FAA no longer has any role promoting the industry.
Very true.

From an NPR transcript from an interview with

FAA Acting Head Dan Elwell On Boeing Decision

Originally Posted by NPR.org
GREENE: I spoke this week to a former safety regulator for the FAA, your agency. His name is David Soucie. And I just want to quote him. He said, "the FAA has had the role of not only regulating but also promoting aviation. It is a contradictory role," end quote. How much were you thinking about Boeing here - not wanting to harm a major American company if there was not clear reason to act?

ELWELL: Well, first of all, the FAA does not have that dual role. It did about 30 years ago, up until the ValuJet crash. And then that dual role, which was part of our mandate, was ended - much before my time. But ever since then - for over 30 years - we do not have that role. It is purely safety and oversight.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
http://www.seattletimes.com/business...lion-air-crash

Federal Aviation Administration managers pushed its engineers to delegate wide responsibility for assessing the safety of the 737 MAX to Boeing itself.

Makes you wonder how to trust the FAA to do their jobs (safety of their passengers) when they were primarily focused on helping Boeing meet its deadlines. This is not good for the future of MAX.
This is a wonderful article that offers excellent insight into what I mentioned pages back. Delegation is necessary (and good) because governments lack personnel/bandwidth to deal with all of the industry churn, however, delegates are in an inherent conflict of interest because they take a pay cheque from the companies that are dependent on obtaining product approvals. Oversight of delegates by regulators is thus crucially important in ensuring they are making sound findings of compliance to airworthiness regulations, but in recent years we're seeing a major push by industry to reduce oversight (oversight is largely elective and based on a variety of risk factors). Regulators, in performing their oversight role, are constantly under pressure from industry and their own management alike to minimally/superficially review compliance data/substantiation and/or even delegate completely. The scale has tipped too far in the non-oversight direction and it's high time we bring it back into balance.

Again, wonderful article.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yowspotter
This is a wonderful article that offers excellent insight into what I mentioned pages back. Delegation is necessary (and good) because governments lack personnel/bandwidth to deal with all of the industry churn, however, delegates are in an inherent conflict of interest because they take a pay cheque from the companies that are dependent on obtaining product approvals. Oversight of delegates by regulators is thus crucially important in ensuring they are making sound findings of compliance to airworthiness regulations, but in recent years we're seeing a major push by industry to reduce oversight (oversight is largely elective and based on a variety of risk factors). Regulators, in performing their oversight role, are constantly under pressure from industry and their own management alike to minimally/superficially review compliance data/substantiation and/or even delegate completely. The scale has tipped too far in the non-oversight direction and it's high time we bring it back into balance.

Again, wonderful article.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

This. I realize I am no expert and to my layman's viewpoint the FAA has delegated the certification to the person being certified. If the FAA does not have the expertise to provide the appropriate oversight and certification why are they there?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CNN is now reporting that: Investigators find 'similarities' between Ethiopian and Lion Air crashes, official says.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by username
CNN is now reporting that: Investigators find 'similarities' between Ethiopian and Lion Air crashes, official says.
Is this new news? It sounds like what was said when Canada and USA grounded the MAX.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this new news? It sounds like what was said when Canada and USA grounded the MAX.
Well, yes and no.

This time they are comparing instrument readings from the black boxes, which is more accurate that the data they used to ground the MAX.

Don't know who reported it first, but it's all over the news outlets. Apparently they think this "confirmation" is news.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
The onus is on the FAA to earn the trust back of the flying public and not me!

Originally Posted by mduell
No, that's not at all what it means. Read up on the DER to improve your understanding of their capabilities and limitations.
We don't need to hide behind the complexities of DER, etc...when common sense can be used to state a simple fact: "when you deal with systems that literally carries humans by the millions every day, and that could be in danger, you need much higher regulation, not just hide behind euphemisms like 'oversight' and just having FAA managers sign-off documents without setting foot on the factory floor, and have your very own FAA test engineers check lines of code, and test systems". The Seattle Times and many other articles very clearly states that. I trust common sense commentary from people like Chris Cox, Mary Schiavo, David Susie, et.al., than reading reams and reams of DER.

Bottom line, the flying public have lost faith in this cozy relationship between the regulator and the 'regulated'. The onus is on FAA to earn the trust back...the onus is not on me to read reams of DER and get familiarized.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Given some of the things that are drifting around about the relationship(s) between Boeing and the FAA I'll expand a little bit on my post up thread:

First and foremost is you are dealing with a bureaucracy with both the FAA and Boeing which means that the amount of engineering (design, manufacturing, and operations) is a very small part of the whole organization. As I noted before the FAA is very top heavy with careerists who mostly came up from the legal or administrative side, not the actual aircraft or operations side, who have no clue as to what's happening on the flight line, the hangar or the factory floor. Not helping things is the fact that given the lack of incentives they can't get the most qualified people working for them, I'm not talking here about pay and benefits but a new hire engineer is going to be sent to a desk job approving new coffee cup designs, etc. for at least 5+ years, then might get to work a little bit in the field inspections for a while, then sent off to some mid level administrative posting, and then after they've forgotten all of their design stuff they learned in school they finally get to be part of a design review team. Unfortunately the only real source of people with the understanding of the "Real World"is with greater Boeing and Airbus( including all of their suppliers and subcontractors) or the DOD for parts of the metal issues. Given the choice almost all of the best and brightest are heading for the private sector where they're very likely to get a chance to work on something exciting in a couple of years which actually means something.

As I noted before there is a great disconnect between the newer pilots (for me it's mates and engineers) and their equipment. There's is so much automation to save us from ourselves and enforce a standard
to avoid a theoretical issue that happens every millennium that the newbies don't have a clue on how to tell when Uncle Auto is pitching a fit and then what to do next and when they figure it out then well....

Bottom line is that somebody needs to regulate things but unfortunately once you get the lawyers and bunglecrats involved the idea of KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid) is completely out the window and things get so complicated and messed up nobody can sort out the mess and the regulators and companies are trying to fix the blame first (even different parts of the same organization) and then the problem second.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surram
Bottom line, the flying public have lost faith in this cozy relationship between the regulator and the 'regulated'. The onus is on FAA to earn the trust back...the onus is not on me to read reams of DER and get familiarized.
Have they? How many of the “flying public “ are aware of it?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by TomMM

Have they? How many of the “flying public “ are aware of it?
From the very many news articles, that says passengers were trying to figure out what aircraft they were on, and trying to avoid flying the MAX, before they were ground. They were calling the airlines that were not waiving change fees, but later ended up working with them on a case-by-case basis. We probably are not giving enough credit to the common folk who surprisingly are aware of what is going on...at least when it affects them. I don't think they need to know the nuances of MCAS to figure out that it is their life, their families' life on the line...so I better 'get caught trying' rather than simply giving up. Some of the earlier posts complaining of mass hysteria, in hindsight is indeed warranted.

Last edited by surram; Mar 17, 2019 at 8:38 pm Reason: Fixed typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.