Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Meanwhile the 767 cargo plane that crashed in Houston has long been forgotten.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Meanwhile the 767 cargo plane that crashed in Houston has long been forgotten.
I highly doubt it's forgotten just because it's not at the top of the news cycle, I will call that tragedy an avoidable accident likely caused by a sudden cargo shift perhaps due to improperly secured cargo, likely due to safety measures bypassed by a contracted freight operator under pressure from Amazon to make its schedule.

Since the MCAS issue was already known to everyone, and a software fix was still pending, what is beyond me is why the system was allowed to be left active at all - there should have been an order to either disable the system, or voluntarily ground MAX aircraft if the operator did not want to do that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:57 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Since the MCAS issue was already known to everyone, and a software fix was still pending, what is beyond me is why the system was allowed to be left active at all - there should have been an order to either disable the system, or voluntarily ground MAX aircraft if the operator did not want to do that.
There may have (and should have) been a relative risk assessment of the options done before deciding whether to do any of the three (disable, ground, leave as is) or probably any of a number of other options while waiting for corrective action. It may be that leaving the MCAS active was seen as the lowest risk option - Boeing may have statistics on how often it engages and in what conditions to support the decision.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
UA missed a great PR opportunity to get in front of the US field and ground their MAX aircraft voluntarily. It was obvious that soon after the Ethiopian Airlines crash that there would be a world wide grounding of the max ... very poor foresight from the UA leadership...
And with only 14 in the fleet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A 773ER was subbed for today’s 739max 11:29am SFO-OGG. The return flight is delayed 16 hours until tomorrow 11am for crew to overnight (obviously no 773 pilot base on Maui). Answers my question about return pilots in earlier post.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, can the 739Max pilots just slide into non-Max 738/9s in the interim?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes. I'm not an expert on the details of the certification process, but one of the things that's been mentioned on this thread is that Boeing convinced the FAA that the 737 MAX was a modified 737, meaning that a pilot who is rated for the 737 MAX will also be rated for other 737 models and can move between them.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes. I'm not an expert on the details of the certification process, but one of the things that's been mentioned on this thread is that Boeing convinced the FAA that the 737 MAX was a modified 737, meaning that a pilot who is rated for the 737 MAX will also be rated for other 737 models and can move between them.
One of the changes I can foresee being implemented, is that pilot [re]certification will be required at a much lower plane-change threshold than what is currently thought to be sufficient.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 am

You cant just disable MCAS and have the certification in place. It was part of that approval (in order to be able to fly the MAX with minimal conversion training). If you fully disable MCAS, the MAX needs to be recertified and will require more extensive conversion training, meaning no pilot today would be qualified for a de-MCAS’d MAX.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Those who fly the MAX9 for UA spend most of their time flying -700, -800, and -900 737s.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
commercial airline culture, particularly in the US is *extremely* safety conscious
Do note that there have been some recent cracks (or what seems like cracks), as this video claims. Yes, it's another airline, but it's relevant as we're talking US commercial airline culture.

Of course, we're never sure if this is more political than anything else. But safety is something that we should never take for granted. Slacking and cost-cutting in safety is a continuous risk, and although we like to think the opposite, US aviation is not immune from that.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe this must be approached on a case by case basis. No two accidents are exactly the same, just as no two aircraft, no two fleets, no two airlines are exactly the same. In this instance, it makes sense to ground the fleet of aircraft. In a different instance it may not. Take for example the earlier 737 rudder flaws back in the 90s. While those accidents were the result of the same design flaw, they occurred years apart and at the time thousands of 737s were flying. Even after the second accident the FAA did not ground the 737 fleet. There was very nearly a third of the same crash due to rudder hardover, however fortunately in that case the crew were able to bring the aircraft under control and land it safely.

It would be great to be able to apply blanket rules to every accident scenario, however that isn't realistic because by nature, there are so many factors affecting a decision like this.
See, I would argue the PCU servo issue was even more serious than the MAX problems... there wasn't a well-established procedure in place to recover from such a scenario, and the Eastwind flight only safely landed because the servo failure spontaneously resolved. The Lion Air crash, though not in final yet, most proximately involves a flight crew failing to recognize a scenario for which they had been trained (runaway stabilizer) and continuing to fight a losing battle. It's a pretty textbook case of being 'behind the airplane'. If the ADS-B data profile shows great similarity to Lion Air 610, it's probably another tragic case of the same response. Did a poorly-designed system contribute? More than likely. But it's always the result of a panoply of factors.

As you note, the commercial interests won the day in the 90s, and the 737 was not grounded. You'll also recall that Boeing went to great lengths to characterize the incident as an improper response to wake turbulence.

All this is exactly why I'm not in favor of letting social pressure and political influence dictate safety decisions made by the FAA and other regulators. Would it have been more appropriate not to ground the MAX if this series of accidents took place five years from now, with upwards of a thousand in service?

Because, absent an instrumentation failure (faulty AOA sensor), the MCAS actually protects against a stall when flying under certain conditions. That's why the Boeing fix won't disable, inactivate or substantially modify the system; instead, it will probably include functions to automatically inhibit it and alert pilots when there is evidence of an instrument malfunction, like an AOA disagree. The simplest fix appears to be a software update to the MCAS logic to accept two AOA input channels, allowing a comparison of data to signal some sort of instrumentation failure.

What's most baffling to me is why this kind of fail-safe logic wasn't a part of the system in the first place... it seems pretty intuitive and is consistent with redundancy of other automated flight control augmentation systems, like yaw damper. Instead, the MCAS went into production models with a single-channel input for AOA data, which came from only one AOA sensor, creating a single point of failure. This starts the cascade of failures and worst-case-scenarios (there were several) that most likely led to the Lion Air crash and is now implicated in the ET302 disaster.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
....Because, absent an instrumentation failure (faulty AOA sensor), the MCAS actually protects against a stall when flying under certain conditions. That's why the Boeing fix won't disable, inactivate or substantially modify the system; instead, it will probably include functions to automatically inhibit it and alert pilots when there is evidence of an instrument malfunction, like an AOA disagree. The simplest fix appears to be a software update to the MCAS logic to accept two AOA input channels, allowing a comparison of data to signal some sort of instrumentation failure.

What's most baffling to me is why this kind of fail-safe logic wasn't a part of the system in the first place... it seems pretty intuitive and is consistent with redundancy of other automated flight control augmentation systems, like yaw damper. Instead, the MCAS went into production models with a single-channel input for AOA data, which came from only one AOA sensor, creating a single point of failure. This starts the cascade of failures and worst-case-scenarios (there were several) that most likely led to the Lion Air crash and is now implicated in the ET302 disaster.
I know what the MCAS does and it's purpose - I maintain all of these "techie" aircraft gizmos designed to enhance flying safety put too much decision making control in the hands of computers, or at the very least, may deny the pilot access to accurate information about the aircraft's current condition due to misinterpretations or faulty data collection. When I am flying under instruments I always know my life depends on trusting my instruments, but if there is a computer system standing between the mechanical collection of flight conditions and my instruments, now I need to think about whether my instruments are accurate, and is the computer accurate. Honestly, that makes me feel uneasy.

I've been flying airplanes for a very long time, and maybe I'm too much of an old-timer because I don't fly airplanes full of computers except the single one in my head, but since the advent of computerized flight control and management systems, I am not sure the statistics lead to a long term conclusion of improved flight safety when compared to the era of aircraft with fewer computerized systems, and many flight and aeronautical science professionals feel a similar way about this issue.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
What's most baffling to me is why this kind of fail-safe logic wasn't a part of the system in the first place... it seems pretty intuitive and is consistent with redundancy of other automated flight control augmentation systems, like yaw damper. Instead, the MCAS went into production models with a single-channel input for AOA data, which came from only one AOA sensor, creating a single point of failure.
Agree, but is it 100% confirmed that there was actually a single input channel? It's very hard to imagine several levels of Boeing engineers would've signed that off.

I maintain all of these "techie" aircraft gizmos designed to enhance flying safety put too much decision making control in the hands of computers, or at the very least, may deny the pilot access to accurate information about the aircraft's current condition due to misinterpretations or faulty data collection.
The pilot can always overrule the computer or the MCAS for that matter.

I am not sure the statistics lead to a long term conclusion of improved flight safety when compared to the era of aircraft with fewer computerized systems
I fully expect a culture clash between older generations who are fully aware of how computers can fail and younger generations who've never seen a Blue Screen of Death. But the fact is that safety has continued to improve drastically since the advent of the computer on the flight deck, all while "pilot error" has become a more dominant cause of accidents. And the defensive way the pilot unions are reacting right now seems to indicate that pilot error is again being considered for the recent 2 accidents.

As you'll probably agree, the ensuing discussion will not be about the amount of automatization on the flight deck. No big aircraft producer has indicated a desire or need to reduce that amount, even while they've been hearing the calls from pilot unions about the decrease of hand-flying skills for years. Boeing has indicated that - because of a lack of engineering background - it struggles to convey necessary technical information to flight crews in a way that they can comprehend. The discussion will probably shift more towards how we should define the role of the pilot and the computer on a flight deck that is expected to be increasingly more complex and safe in the years forward, and as you may guess, it may not bode too well for the pilots.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I know what the MCAS does and it's purpose - I maintain all of these "techie" aircraft gizmos designed to enhance flying safety put too much decision making control in the hands of computers, or at the very least, may deny the pilot access to accurate information about the aircraft's current condition due to misinterpretations or faulty data collection. When I am flying under instruments I always know my life depends on trusting my instruments, but if there is a computer system standing between the mechanical collection of flight conditions and my instruments, now I need to think about whether my instruments are accurate, and is the computer accurate. Honestly, that makes me feel uneasy.

I've been flying airplanes for a very long time, and maybe I'm too much of an old-timer because I don't fly airplanes full of computers except the single one in my head, but since the advent of computerized flight control and management systems, I am not sure the statistics lead to a long term conclusion of improved flight safety when compared to the era of aircraft with fewer computerized systems, and many flight and aeronautical science professionals feel a similar way about this issue.
Is a yaw damper a "techie aircraft gizmo"? What about Mach trim? Conceptually, no different from MCAS, and an uncorrected failure can absolutely result in an upset from which recovery is virtually impossible. Like I said, my issue is the lack of redundancy.

As far as the last point about whether higher levels of automation have led to improved flight safety as compared to the era of less automation, the statistics are pretty clear that they absolutely do. Automation dependency is an issue of unintended consequences stemming from increased automation, and over the last twenty years we've seen professional pilot training begin to re-emphasize manual flying skills. But are you really suggesting that flying is demonstrably less safe in the current era than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, and that there are credible professionals who actually believe it?

Originally Posted by mozilla
Agree, but is it 100% confirmed that there was actually a single input channel? It's very hard to imagine several levels of Boeing engineers would've signed that off.
I could be wrong, but everything I've read indicates that it was. I'm not sure this particular failure mode (faulty AOA input, improper MCAS activation, failure of crew to react appropriately to stab runaway, loss of pitch control) was found to be a reasonable possibility... but those kinds of engineering errors are not unheard of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.