Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cmd320
The why will eventually be investigated and discovered, however again, what benefit is there to safety to keep the aircraft flying until that occurs? US airlines and regulators love to tout that safety is their #1 priority so that being the case, why are we last to uphold that claim when the proverbial * hits the fan? We aren't talking about a crippling number of aircraft here.
I'm not arguing against grounding the airplane... I suppose I'm more process-oriented, so my biggest concern is if public outcry starts to become influential in the investigative process. Do we ground a fleet following any crash in which conclusions can't be immediately drawn? Do we limit it to types that have had other crashes within a given period? Same phase of flight? Same airline? Same severity? Or only when the in-service fleet is relatively small? We can't rewrite the rules for every single crash. Correlation is not causation, and it is essential to consistently apply procedures in order to ensure the integrity of the process.

Originally Posted by Sykes
Ultimately, the grounding may be the easiest path forward for Boeing as well. While it will cause a lot of short term pain, I think that without a clearly enumerated stop and return to service, the cloud would remain over the MAX for a long time. The FAA eventually allowing the 737 MAX to return to service is a signal that Boeing and the airlines can point to which indicates that the plane is now safe for the flying public, even if ultimately the fix at that time is just updating flight manuals and giving pilots an hour or two of sim time.
At this point, that's probably correct, as the investigation has shown evidence of causal links between the ET and the JT crashes. Still, it would be reckless to sit here and conclude that such overlap exists merely because they happened to the same type, in the same phase of flight. It's an intellectually lazy and ultimately dangerous course of action to pursue.

My issue with the MAX is in the systems architecture, where one change can essentially eliminate the possibility of the same set of circumstances that caused the Lion Air crash. That's the fix Boeing has been working on and targeting an April software rollout. I'm sure ET will introduce new wrinkles that may or may not require additional fixes, but if it's attributable to the same issue, where were the calls to ground the type in November when this data first came to light?

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
All good points. However, I was told Boeing didn't release the training for MCAS deactivation/override until after and, likely, in response to JT610.
The "MCAS deactivation/override" is the runaway stabilizer checklist, which every 737 (and any other type with an auto stab trim) pilot has been trained on for decades.

In addition, it can be deactivated by deploying flaps or engaging the autopilot. Nothing novel here. The manual revisions reinforce this and also provide information about the MCAS architecture, but at the end of the day, the MCAS failure presents no differently than a runaway stab trim scenario and pilots are trained to respond correctly. If they don't, bad things happen.

The media, probably out of ignorance, has portrayed this as some sort of all-new procedure developed in light of the Lion Air crash. It's not.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1723 SFO-OGG 739MAX just got a swap to a 772. Score for the 20 in F and 8 more on the waitlist.

Edit: just thinking about the return pilots. Unlike the FAs, who often work the return flights, the pilots overnight on Maui. Would the return pilots fly out on 1723 (presumably leaving only 6 seats for waitlisters)?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:21 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
1723 SFO-OGG 739MAX just got a swap to a 772. Score for the 20 in F and 8 more on the waitlist.

Edit: just thinking about the return pilots. Unlike the FAs, who often work the return flights, the pilots overnight on Maui. Would the return pilots fly out on 1723 (presumably leaving only 6 seats for waitlisters)?
That's also a score for anyone standing by for Y too. Everyone who wants to get to Maui is going to get there.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
That's also a score for anyone standing by for Y too. Everyone who wants to get to Maui is going to get there.
Should be a lot of open middle seats also. Might be a relatively comfortable ride for most.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

You actually mean UA1273. UA1723 is SFO-KOA, which is still assigned a 7M9. Coincidentally, they're scheduled to leave at about the same time. I wonder if they'll combine the flights and do SFO-KOA-OGG?

(Upon further review, it appears UA723 is actually being swapped for a 739. They just haven't changed the seatmap yet.)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

Don't you mean 1273?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I guess I won't be effected on my flight into EGE on the Devil's Chariot. Right now the 739MAX looks pretty good. :-)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Don't you mean 1273?
Probably. Dyslexic fingers
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
It looks like there's a lot of issues going on with this. I'm coming from this as a senior officer in another DOT regulated industry (Maritime)

On the FAA, DOT, and Political Class, the same basic initial response would have been the same whether the President was 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 or 45, the political people just don't get involved right away (911 being a significant exception). All of the later issues sure look to be more of the standard bunglecratic CYA since this will probably have several trails of pointing fingers leading back to the bowels of the agency, including everybody including the technocrats, administrators, and legal beagles..I just got to where I can catch up but it looks like the FAA needed a nudge from the President this time on to get off the pot.

I've seen a lot of things with all of the regulatory demands that often conflict with each other and the fact that there is a lot of politics involved in the process of writing and enforcing things. We've been trying for years in the maritime to get things simplified but rather than looking to see what is happening in the real world it's easier to just issue a new regulation than to clean up the mess.

Given the demand for all of the newest bells and whistles along with the cost/pollution/crew reduction pressures on the airlines, to go along with the regulatory demands things get a lot more complicated. Just looking at my car and my ship along with what I see on FT from the pilots on various issues, there a lot of things that can't be bypassed, overridden, etc. in a timely/ effective manner because of the regulatory restrictions, many of which don't address real life issues( AKA one that will happen less that once in a century),. At least we can usually find a way to jury rig something to get back but given the lack of access to almost everything on a plane that isn't even practical now.

This doesn't excuse anything that my have been a design or operator error, but we do need to look at the big picture on the Big Picture. I remember having a rather animated discussion with a bunch of Greenies who were telling me that I should never, ever discharge any oil overboard even if it meant sinking a tanker full of heavy fuel oil (think black snot) and unfortunately that's where the world has come to. For the record I don't believe that making a mess like that is ever a good idea just because someone is too lazy to deal with things properly.

I'm just hoping that this whole mess gets settled out within a reasonable time and with a real, permanent solution.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
News says it is only the MAX8 - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.b2143e1441a9 and they highlight how the Canadian action also covers the Max-9.

Do we know the actual scope of [Moderator edit: the] Order?

If only the -8, I would hope UA would have the common sense to ground their -9s as well, get at least a little bit of what they have lost in perceptions about putting safety over $$$ back...
Hah, wouldn't be the first or last time the ComPost got it totally wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

Went out with a 77W...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Went out with a 77W...
which is good work as the return will work for those originally booked on that flight plus a bunch of pax who were booked on the now stranded MAX from the previous flight.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm not arguing against grounding the airplane... I suppose I'm more process-oriented, so my biggest concern is if public outcry starts to become influential in the investigative process. Do we ground a fleet following any crash in which conclusions can't be immediately drawn? Do we limit it to types that have had other crashes within a given period? Same phase of flight? Same airline? Same severity? Or only when the in-service fleet is relatively small? We can't rewrite the rules for every single crash. Correlation is not causation, and it is essential to consistently apply procedures in order to ensure the integrity of the process.
I believe this must be approached on a case by case basis. No two accidents are exactly the same, just as no two aircraft, no two fleets, no two airlines are exactly the same. In this instance, it makes sense to ground the fleet of aircraft. In a different instance it may not. Take for example the earlier 737 rudder flaws back in the 90s. While those accidents were the result of the same design flaw, they occurred years apart and at the time thousands of 737s were flying. Even after the second accident the FAA did not ground the 737 fleet. There was very nearly a third of the same crash due to rudder hardover, however fortunately in that case the crew were able to bring the aircraft under control and land it safely.

It would be great to be able to apply blanket rules to every accident scenario, however that isn't realistic because by nature, there are so many factors affecting a decision like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777
So while a US 737 Max has the same risk to experience a flight control problem as any other Max, the experience of a US pilot greatly helps to minimize the risk of catastrophe.
Then again, experienced US pilots have demonstrated to be susceptible to pilot error as well, and the value of experience diminishes if the pilot does not have sufficient engineering background to grasp the complexity of the machine and systems he is flying, as experience can only compensate so much for a lack of understanding.

But in the end, it's too early to make judgment calls based on experience (or complexity for that matter), for the reason that we don't know yet if it was a factor. With the majority of the current 355 B38M delivered to customers outside of the US (including the launch customer), the reason for the lack of a domestic incident could simply be probability as well. Let's await the results of the investigation.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went out with a 77W...
Wow. If seat map correct, it went out w/ 24 unoccupied Polaris seats. From a 738 F seat to the new Polaris seat - those passengers (plus everyone who was on waitlist) are going to be disappointed from now on when they fly to Hawaii. The F passenger flying to SFO later this evening on the plane are also getting an upgrade. If I was on the late OGG-SFO flight I'd be scrambling to do a SDC to the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.