Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
Follow your runaway trim training.
The problem is that the ET pilots got that training.... See https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e0716dcb9434

I had been assuming they did, but this confirms my concern. If training was at issue (as Boeing was implying after Lion Air) why a second similar crash?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Looks like the FAA finally fell in line, and the MAX is grounded worldwide.
It's not the FAA. He's issuing an executive order, apparently.

In all likelihood he heard something on Fox News and he didn't even tell the FAA anything before he announced it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:47 pm

May hurt UA's reputation in the short term. "You won't ground your dangerous planes until the President steps in and orders you to? Profits above safety!"* A few EU-airlines are having a bad PR-day today for this same reason.

Highly unlikely to cause any long term damage though.

* note this what the public opinion may say and it is not my opinion
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Boeing stock price is now in free-fall - how ironic
Smart investors are lining up open wallets.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can see it in the Dow too, although not so much in S&P 500, as expected. Both indices are currently slightly up for today.

Boeing is now at a six week low, which doesn't sound all that bad.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Hmm flying a MAX 9 on monday. Now not sure what to do. through IAH so presumably UA would sub another plane, but don't want to get caught in the mess. Guessing a call to UA now would not be fruitful.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just added to the wiki: Trump announced an emergency order to ground the MAX8/9 in the USA, effective immediately but they can fly to their (next) destination if currently in flight.
News says it is only the MAX8 - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.b2143e1441a9 and they highlight how the Canadian action also covers the Max-9.

Do we know the actual scope of [Moderator edit: the] Order?

If only the -8, I would hope UA would have the common sense to ground their -9s as well, get at least a little bit of what they have lost in perceptions about putting safety over $$$ back...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:30 pm Reason: To remove content reserved for the OMNI forum

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by spin88
The reality is that - whatever the investigations ultimately show - any airline that continues to fly an aircraft that the rest of the world has found should not be flown is really damaging its reputation. At this point it is not Just Boeing's reputation which is on the line, its the view that Southwest, American, and United will put safety over profits.

That the airlines continue to fly this plane at this point is just baffling to me.

P.s. Well the FAA stepped in, so now AA,SWA, and UA will not only not get to fly the planes, but they will get no credit from the public for putting safety over $$$. Really, really stupid by all three management teams, who just don't seem to get the big picture.
The MAX9 represents something like 1% of UA's mainline fleet and far less than that when you lump in UAX. You really think keeping the planes in the air when the FAA said they could was just a big profit grab? Besides, the order of events is just noise to the general public anyway.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Hmm flying a MAX 9 on monday. Now not sure what to do. through IAH so presumably UA would sub another plane, but don't want to get caught in the mess. Guessing a call to UA now would not be fruitful.
I'd expect no effect to UA's operations beyond tomorrow. They have plenty of slack in the spring schedule to handle 14 grounded narrow-bodies. If this order lasts until the summer season starts, there may be some impacts in terms of flight cancellations.

ETA: this is if the order covers the MAX 9 also; I'm seeing conflicting reports. If not, your guess is as good as mine. At this point, I might change off of the MAX 9, not because I think it's unsafe, but because I'd want to avoid operational headaches if there's a new executive order.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Customer service is currently swamped due to weather events.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by vkng
It's not the FAA. He's issuing an executive order, apparently.

In all likelihood he heard something on Fox News and he didn't even tell the FAA anything before he announced it.
Yup, executive time...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by spin88
P.s. Well the FAA stepped in, so now AA,SWA, and UA will not only not get to fly the planes, but they will get no credit from the public for putting safety over $$$. Really, really stupid by all three management teams, who just don't seem to get the big picture.
This. Rather than being able to show any leadership they get a dose of medicine shoved down their throats. And they can't use the planes anyway. Ray Charles could have seen this coming.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd expect no effect to UA's operations beyond tomorrow. They have plenty of slack in the spring schedule to handle 14 grounded narrow-bodies. If this order lasts until the summer season starts, there may be some impacts in terms of flight cancellations.

ETA: this is if the order covers the MAX 9 also; I'm seeing conflicting reports. If not, your guess is as good as mine. At this point, I might change off of the MAX 9, not because I think it's unsafe, but because I'd want to avoid operational headaches if there's a new executive order.
Thanks!

LA times is reporting MAX 8 and MAX 9

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...313-story.html
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Smart investors are lining up open wallets.
I don't know - It's just given up recent gains. Looks like it's reverting to about a one year average, but now with a huge question mark.

24 minutes later - UA 1273 Max9 SFO-OGG still shows as "taxiing"

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:59 pm

My family is booked on a Max 9 flight out of IAH to PHX early next month. I had been sitting on my hands waiting to see if the FAA acted before I called to re-book. (If it were just me flying, I might have taken the chance but my kids are traveling with me.) Now I'm not sure what to do (I'm not a frequent flier). Do I call United or just wait for them to contact me or re-book us? I'm assuming, of course, the Max 9 is grounded -- would be public relations suicide for UA not to ground them voluntarily even if not covered by the executive order, IMHO. I realize that calling United today is probably not a good idea given that they likely just found out about this action too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.