Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Realunited
"These "third world countries" and "third rate airlines" and "poorly trained crews" have been flying 737 NGs and A320s for the past decades without any significant accidents"
Not trying to argue here but this claim is absurdly inaccurate about no accidents
Is it though? Can you then tell me how many accidents happened with 737s and A320s during the take off phase since the 2000's in third world countries? And with 100% casualties?

Point 2 about not having time to react is also wrong and any pilot anywhere knows how to react instantly to an uncommanded pitch down (assuming that's even involved in the Ethiopian crash)
You are conveniently omitting the part that the uncommanded pitch down is not the only thing going on. Air speed disagree, stall warnings, stick shaker. And I guess other 737 drivers disagree with you, as expressed in PPrune, this forum, Anet, and others. It is a bit worrisome when pilots are so split in this.

Point 3 is true that bad input data can happen but Lion air knew they had a problem with the sensor and did nothing.
And you are shifting the focus, like most like to do, and ignoring that that same scenario can happen to anyone with one bird strike.

Let me add why a 200hr first officer makes a difference. At least in the US, first officers must have at least 1500 hrs and a type rating in the aircraft which means they have been trained and tested (maneuvers and systems knowledge) to the same standards as a captain so their knowledge and skills are invaluable in an emergency situation. Some situations need 2 fully knowledgeable brains to lead to a successful outcome and 200hrs total time is slightly better than a passenger from 32F coming up to offer advise.
You do know the 1500h rule was only implemented in 2013 right?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
No one is saying that the FO was flying the aircraft, but it usually takes the teamwork of both pilots to successfully navigate an emergency situation. I don't think anyone is denigrating the pilots in this situation, just pointing out that the it would have been better to have both pilots "seasoned", which might have led to a different outcome regardless if the airplanes control systems were a contributing cause.
On another board a pilot commented that particular airport is a "Capt only" airport. Not sure what that exactly means.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
There is no logic behind it, but the accident in 1991 here in COS sticks with me. I rarely think about it, unless I’m making the approach from the south. Doesn’t matter about the aircraft type, whether it’s a small single engine, a UAX airplane. I arrived about 30 minutes after the accident as simply a drive by and will never forget it. Lost 2 people that I didn’t know personally, but my siblings did.

All of that said, I want nothing to do with the MAX until this is resolved.
I thought the accident in 1991 was attributed to wind shear? I didn't know anyone on that plane but knew someone who narrowly missed being on it due to missing his connection at Stapleton. I remember flights into COS for the next year seemed to be like carrier landings ... every one I was on came in to the airport fast and hard.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by bhunt
On another board a pilot commented that particular airport is a "Capt only" airport. Not sure what that exactly means.
Apparently that means the Captain is required to be on the stick for take-off and landings at that particular airport. So, that would have precluded the FO from being in control. Regardless, whomever is at the stick needs help in an emergency. A seasoned pilot by your side is always better than one who is not.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
The MAX (both -8 and -9) has now been banned by EASA from all European (Common Aviation Area) airspace.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-...rations-europe
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
The MAX (both -8 and -9) has now been banned by EASA from all European (Common Aviation Area) airspace.

Not up to speed on all of this, but does this effect UA? And if yes, how and to what extent?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

I will just note that this is ALL models - both -8 and -9 - of the MAX. Given that they have the same control system, and that the -8 represents most of the flight hours so far (and so much more exposure to identify a problem) this is probably the only reasonable decission, as there does not appear to be any suggestions of a reason specific to the -8 for problem.

And I highlight again what I posted above from the WaPost, Chinese authorities expressly said they had reports from Chinese pilots of issues consistent with the failure mode suspected in both crashes. A large part of these investigations is identifying other similar events that did not result in crashes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhunt
Wouldn't that mean that the copilot shouldn't do takeoffs and landings at that airport?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Maybe I was only guessing but I was under the impression the ET FO had 200 hrs flying for ET, not 200 total hours flying. Has anyone said they think the FO was flying the aircraft?
You may be right. Based on this line from avherald it could be read either way: "The captain was with Ethiopian Airlines for 9 years and had about 8000 hours of flight experience, a first officer with 200 flight hours assisted[...]".
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’m surprised UA hasn’t quietly sidelined their 14 Max9. It isn’t a network workhorse like their other 737s.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Not up to speed on all of this, but does this effect UA? And if yes, how and to what extent?
UA doesn't fly the MAX in Europe.

Originally Posted by spin88
And I highlight again what I posted above from the WaPost, Chinese authorities expressly said they had reports from Chinese pilots of issues consistent with the failure mode suspected in both crashes. A large part of these investigations is identifying other similar events that did not result in crashes.
Your implicit trust in statements by PRC authorities who are currently engaged in a trade war is noted. If these statements are accurate, those authorities should have acted long ago.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

How Many Stability Accidents Has the 737 (all series) Experienced

I remember the 1994 accident of USAir Flight 427 where the 737 fell out of the sky. Was planning to take the flight in 2 days on the PIT-PBI segment. The day I took the non-fatl segment the number was changed to 2427.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA doesn't fly the MAX in Europe.

Your implicit trust in statements by PRC authorities who are currently engaged in a trade war is noted. If these statements are accurate, those authorities should have acted long ago.
That's hard to say as it's possible to take it either way. They could be lobbing a grenade or maybe they held off until now as they didn't want to fan the flames during the US/China negotiations. I'm not smart enough to know.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
I remember the 1994 accident of USAir Flight 427 where the 737 fell out of the sky. Was planning to take the flight in 2 days on the PIT-PBI segment. The day I took the non-fatl segment the number was changed to 2427.

Here's a list of (nearly?) all 737 accidents and incidents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...the_Boeing_737
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BF263533

Closely related to that was UA585 which crashed because of the same reason on approach to COS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.