Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think the MCAS needs to be demystified a bit, and I'm not really the person to do it because I neither have the engineering expertise nor do I fly the 737MAX. But, what's important to understand is that the apparent flight control issue presented to the Lion Air pilots, whether caused by the MCAS activation (from a faulty sensor) or a stab trim runaway, is a scenario for which pilots were and are trained. The post-Lion Air manual and checklist revisions specifically reference the MCAS so pilots are aware of the flight control architecture of the MAX and may more easily recognize a MCAS activation, but even then, it doesn't change what pilots are supposed to do when uncommanded flight control inputs are experienced along the pitch axis. This is true whether on a 737, 757/767, 777, Airbus, etc.

See, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pPRuFHR1co

While the above is not specifically a 737MAX, nor does it involve the MCAS, it is an illustration (though far from perfect, procedurally) of steps pilots would be expected to take to reestablish controlled flight in the event of a stabilizer trim malfunction... sort of like the MCAS, as currently conceived, will behave if being fed bad AOA data.
Isn't one of the key differences that a bad AOA sensor causing an MCAS trim down would also be showing the pilots erroneous AOA information, making it harder/take longer to diagnose, whereas a "normal" runaway stabilizer is going to immediately show as "pitching down" on a correct AOA instrument?

I don't know all of the instruments presented to the pilots, I do know Southwest has added an additional AOA display (and sensor?) option to their new 737MAX deliveries. To this layman, it sounds like at least that shouldn't be an "option", and should be retrofitted in to the current planes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:11 am

I have some questions for those in the known including the 737 driver above:

- Why so quickly to point fingers at the crew? These "third world countries" and "third rate airlines" and "poorly trained crews" have been flying 737 NGs and A320s for the past decades without any significant accidents, especially during take off. What changed if the 737 MAX is supposed to be equal to the previous generation? (Note i did not use similar because the certification implies the previous generation and the MAX are the same behaviour-wise).

- Everyone knows by now the trim runaway procedure. But do pilots have the time and mindset to even think about it when they are in the take off phase, with incorrect air speed, stall warnings and stick shaker? And if you happen to reduce flaps and not engage autopilot you just add the MCAS to this whole mess.

- Regarding the LionAir accident, it is true and confirmed LionAir has some dubious maintenance practices, including crews not reporting problems with aircraft (as it was shown by the previous crew not reporting some of the issues before the flight that crashed). But as it is known, a single sensor malfunction caused chaos in the cockpit with incorrect air speed and stall warning AND also fed MCAS with incorrect data. Everyone blames LionAir's poor maintenance for the accident but one bird strike is enough to cause the same sensor issues (be it incorrect air speed or incorrect AoA) regardless of the airline or the part of the world you are flying in. And then you'll be in the same position as the LionAirs crew and faulty inputs being fed to MCAS and the system acting on it. Why is everyone overlooking this?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmastron
Isn't one of the key differences that a bad AOA sensor causing an MCAS trim down would also be showing the pilots erroneous AOA information, making it harder/take longer to diagnose, whereas a "normal" runaway stabilizer is going to immediately show as "pitching down" on a correct AOA instrument?

I don't know all of the instruments presented to the pilots, I do know Southwest has added an additional AOA display (and sensor?) option to their new 737MAX deliveries. To this layman, it sounds like at least that shouldn't be an "option", and should be retrofitted in to the current planes.
The large trim wheel spinning out of control 2 inches from you knee is a pretty good sign of runaway trim.

MCAS or not, the procedure is the same. Hit the cutoff switch and fly the airplane. Problem solved. Works for takeoff, cruise, landing; any phase of flight.

Last edited by clubord; Mar 12, 2019 at 10:21 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

I'm not sure if the Lion Air pilots were concerned with the AOA indicator (different from the sensor) and I don't know how the Lion Air primary flight displays were configured. The sensors were transmitting disagreeing data (20 degree variation) to the flight control computer, but the MCAS, available strictly with autopilot disengaged and flaps up, only took its AOA guidance from the malfunctioning sensor.

My understanding, from reading the report, is that the pilots were struggling with the the nose-down commands the aircraft was independently making, which were countering back pressure on the yoke and nose-up electric trim 'flicks' by the hand-flying pilot. This caused the MCAS to cycle on and off 25+ times, each time processing faulty data suggesting the airplane was flying into a stall and thus re-activating, which ultimately overcame the pilots' efforts to command a climb.

IMO, the biggest issue emerging with the MAX is that the pitch axis augmentation systems (in manual flight only) take data from just one of the two AOA sensors, limiting the fail-safe properties of other automated systems, like yaw damper, which can compare two feeds to diagnose a sensor disagreement. Southwest ordered its airplanes with a AOA sensor disagree annunciation, which is not required, but gives pilots insight and suggests causal factors if an uncommanded nose down pitch trim event is noted.

The forthcoming AD for the 737MAX will likely be a software update to change the architecture of the flight control computer to accept dual-channel AOA input in manual flight, along with a comparison function, for the automated pitch control augmentation systems. The augmentation will automatically disable and annunciate the fault to pilots in the event of an AOA sensor disagree. The capability is there: the autopilot is designed to accept inputs from both sensors and will fault if there is a disagree. The problem is, the AP will fault into manual mode, and manual mode clearly has a shorter progression of events to a catastrophic outcome...

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 12, 2019 at 10:33 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not sure if the Lion Air pilots were concerned with the AOA indicator (different from the sensor) and I don't know how the Lion Air primary flight displays were configured. The sensors were transmitting disagreeing data (20 degree variation) to the flight control computer, but the MCAS, available strictly with autopilot disengaged and flaps up, only took its AOA guidance from the malfunctioning sensor.

My understanding, from reading the report, is that the pilots were struggling with the the nose-down commands the aircraft was independently making, which were countering back pressure on the yoke and nose-up electric trim 'flicks' by the hand-flying pilot. This caused the MCAS to cycle on and off 25+ times, each time processing faulty data suggesting the airplane was flying into a stall and thus re-activating, which ultimately overcame the pilots' efforts to command a climb.

IMO, the biggest issue emerging with the MAX is that the pitch axis augmentation systems (in manual flight only) take data from just one of the two AOA sensors, limiting the fail-safe properties of other automated systems, like yaw damper, which can compare two feeds to diagnose a sensor disagreement. Southwest ordered its airplanes with a AOA sensor disagree annunciation, which is not required, but gives pilots insight and suggests causal factors if an uncommanded nose down pitch trim event is noted.

The forthcoming AD for the 737MAX will likely be a software update to change the architecture of the flight control computer to accept dual-channel AOA input in manual flight, along with a comparison function, for the automated pitch control augmentation systems. The augmentation will automatically disable and annunciate the fault to pilots in the event of an AOA sensor disagree. The capability is there: the autopilot is designed to accept inputs from both sensors and will fault if there is a disagree. The problem is, the AP will fault into manual mode, and manual mode clearly has a shorter progression of events to a catastrophic outcome...

wow. If that is true, that really makes me concerned that one singular faulty control could put an aircraft into an incorrect and unsafe situation.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by saccoNY
wow. If that is true, that really makes me concerned that one singular faulty control could put an aircraft into an incorrect and unsafe situation.
The starting point is a faulty AOA sensor, which, if undetected and not repaired, can lead to an improper response by a flight control safeguard system that mistakenly concludes the aircraft is approaching a hazardous state. That system is only actuated when other limited criteria are met. From that point, there must be a corresponding incorrect action (or inaction) by the crew to lead to a catastrophic outcome. In all likelihood, a cutout of the automatic stab trim at an earlier point in the Lion Air flight (a procedure for which the crew undoubtedly had training) would have resulted in a safe landing.

So, like anything else, there are multiple, independent factors that combine to create a disaster.

I will caution that my entire analysis is strictly in reference to the Lion Air crash. I know the Ethiopian case involves the same type, with some disturbing similarities, but the truth is the public has little to no objective evidence on which to draw a rational finding. It would therefore be incorrect (but perhaps natural) to impute this discussion to ET302 and further, to conclude that a grounding of the fleet is essential. That determination would be rooted in substantially less factual support, but it's gaining momentum nonetheless...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Reading through the news reports and various posts in this thread, it struck me this tragic accident may be the result of two things going wrong:

1) Engine failure on or right after takeoff.
2) Automated flight control systems reacting improperly to the event.

Aircraft are designed to take off on one engine once past critical runway speed so that's nothing new. However, has this new flight control system ever kicked in on an actual flight where this occurred? Certainly Boeing tested this at some point but they may never have done this from an airport at 7,000+ feet.
I discussed this last night with an AA A320 pilot (who has been flying the neo a lot) while waiting to pick up our kids after soccer practice, and he made the same point. Said that every pilot was well trained to deal with an engine failure/compressor stall at take off, so that would not be the root cause in all likelihood, and that something else would have had to come into play given the report the pilot expressed problems with control when he asked to return to the airport and made a turn to return.

Originally Posted by cmd320
I hardly think slapping new engines on a 60 year old plane yet again (for the fourth time actually) qualifies as an exceptional aircraft. Boeing and to a similar extent Airbus both are milking old narrowbody aircraft too hard without actually innovating and designing new aircraft.
Boeing yes, the 737 was launched in 1967 and carried 85 people on missions up to about 1500 miles. One of the issues with the MAX is that the larger engines on the MAX had to be further intergrated into the wing, rather than hanging below the wing. The desire of Boeing to be able to claim that no new training was needed (and anyone trained to fly a NG could just be shoved in the cockpit) caused to them to use fly by wire systems to try to make the MAX fly just like a NG, although the airplanes underlying flying characteristics (in particularly the nose up on the MAX) were different.

OTOH, Airbus - with the A320 being designed in the 80s - does not have the same magnitude of problems that Boeing has. First, the Aircraft is higher off the ground, so adding newer/larger engines did not cause problems with ground clearance, second, the base model (the A320) was two stretches size larger than the base model of the 737 (the 737-100 which seated 85). So the A321neo is a single stretch of the A320, while the MAX9 is three stretches of the original 737 frame, and the new "base" MAX8 is two stretches.

The AA pilot I talked to (who again is an airbus-jock) said that the AA 737 captains he was talking too were beginning to wonder about the fundamental compromises that Boeing appeared to have made and then "fixed" with a pasted over fly-by-wire system... His comment was that for Boeing, depending on what they found this would be (1) bad, (2) horrible, or (3) catastrophic. And the "bad" outcome would be finding that this crash was unrelated to the automated trim system, horrible would be it was related, and catastrophic would be that they could not safely just turn off the automated system and routinely fly planes without it.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Indeed, ET has an excellent reputation. I suspect that's one of the reasons why the finger is pointing more towards Boeing in this case.
+1. Lion Air is sketchy, ET is not. This was expressly mentioned to me by the AA pilot I was talking to last night. He said they were a good airline, and that no one was jumping to the conclusion that the pilot or maintenance should be suspected as being at fault.

Originally Posted by chebert999
SWA is allowing passenger to change their flight for free if they are worried flying the MAX. Sounds like a good PR move to me.
yes, better late than never. Does this leave Drunk Dougie as the one outlier on allowing changes?

and p.s. As I said with the first reports, good for UA for allowing changes on the MAX9 w/o any prodding.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
the pilots would not have understood why the plane was pitching down.
There are several systems which can, and frequently do, run the stab trim while you are hand-flying the airplane. This is normal. There is no way to tell from the cockpit which system is running the stab trim at any particular time. If the stab trim runs away then you accomplish the runaway stabilizer procedure. Autopilot (A/P) and Autothrust (A/T) off (MCAS wouldn't operate with A/P on), then, if it hasn't stopped, flip to stab trim cutout switches. That will stop all electric stabilizer trim movement.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
The problem I can see is that when you decide to override the computer at 1000' AGL, and the trim has moved to a position due to a fault in info, you as a pilot have zero time to react and recover. I'm not old, but old enough and experienced enough to know that I want full control of the airplane at all times, with a quick disconnect of the Autopilot. When I engage the AP, ...
MCAS doesn't operate while the A/P is on (or flaps extended). Minimum A/P engagement altitude is 800' AGL on takeoff but we generally handfly much longer than that.

Isn't one of the key differences that a bad AOA sensor causing an MCAS trim down would also be showing the pilots erroneous AOA information, making it harder/take longer to diagnose
There is only one AoA indication--the one you mention that is optional. If you are hand-flying and the nose is heavy you trim up. If one of several systems trims it back down again you trim it up again. After a couple of these cycles you'll realise that the trim is running away and complete the runaway stabilizer procedure. You don't sit there with a nose-heavy, and getting heavier, airplane and say, "the AoA looks high so the nose really does need to go down". You judge the aircraft's trim by whether the pitch is staying where you need it or if it is taking pressure to keep it there. The AoA indication, if you have it, doesn't help with that.

The Lion Air report isn't final but a good amount of information has been released. Judging by the currently released information, there was nothing wrong with the MCAS system on the accident airplane. The failure was in an AoA vane/sender which fed the MCAS, and other systems, bad data. Every transport jet has similar AoA vanes/senders.

Very little data out on the Ethiopian accident. The flightstats data, which is questionable due to poor coverage in the area, indicates that the flight never reached an altitude where the flaps would normally be retracted (field elevation is 7,657') and the problem started almost immediately. If that holds then this wasn't an MCAS event. The rapid changes in vertical speed almost immediately after liftoff, if correct, might indicate them trying to chase a bad airspeed indication either flying manually or on autoflight. There are three separate airspeed displays and you receive an "IAS DISAGREE" message if they differ by more than 4kts. The problems seem to have started before the flaps would have been retracted or the autopilot would have been engaged.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by justatourist
I have some questions for those in the known including the 737 driver above:

- Why so quickly to point fingers at the crew? These "third world countries" and "third rate airlines" and "poorly trained crews" have been flying 737 NGs and A320s for the past decades without any significant accidents, especially during take off. What changed if the 737 MAX is supposed to be equal to the previous generation? (Note i did not use similar because the certification implies the previous generation and the MAX are the same behaviour-wise).

- Everyone knows by now the trim runaway procedure. But do pilots have the time and mindset to even think about it when they are in the take off phase, with incorrect air speed, stall warnings and stick shaker? And if you happen to reduce flaps and not engage autopilot you just add the MCAS to this whole mess.

- Regarding the LionAir accident, it is true and confirmed LionAir has some dubious maintenance practices, including crews not reporting problems with aircraft (as it was shown by the previous crew not reporting some of the issues before the flight that crashed). But as it is known, a single sensor malfunction caused chaos in the cockpit with incorrect air speed and stall warning AND also fed MCAS with incorrect data. Everyone blames LionAir's poor maintenance for the accident but one bird strike is enough to cause the same sensor issues (be it incorrect air speed or incorrect AoA) regardless of the airline or the part of the world you are flying in. And then you'll be in the same position as the LionAirs crew and faulty inputs being fed to MCAS and the system acting on it. Why is everyone overlooking this?
Not trying to argue here but this claim is absurdly inaccurate about no accidents "These "third world countries" and "third rate airlines" and "poorly trained crews" have been flying 737 NGs and A320s for the past decades without any significant accidents"
Point 2 about not having time to react is also wrong and any pilot anywhere knows how to react instantly to an uncommanded pitch down (assuming that's even involved in the Ethiopian crash)
Point 3 is true that bad input data can happen but Lion air knew they had a problem with the sensor and did nothing.

Let me add why a 200hr first officer makes a difference. At least in the US, first officers must have at least 1500 hrs and a type rating in the aircraft which means they have been trained and tested (maneuvers and systems knowledge) to the same standards as a captain so their knowledge and skills are invaluable in an emergency situation. Some situations need 2 fully knowledgeable brains to lead to a successful outcome and 200hrs total time is slightly better than a passenger from 32F coming up to offer advise.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There are several systems which can, and frequently do, run the stab trim while you are hand-flying the airplane. This is normal. There is no way to tell from the cockpit which system is running the stab trim at any particular time. If the stab trim runs away then you accomplish the runaway stabilizer procedure. Autopilot (A/P) and Autothrust (A/T) off (MCAS wouldn't operate with A/P on), then, if it hasn't stopped, flip to stab trim cutout switches. That will stop all electric stabilizer trim movement.

MCAS doesn't operate while the A/P is on (or flaps extended). Minimum A/P engagement altitude is 800' AGL on takeoff but we generally handfly much longer than that.

There is only one AoA indication--the one you mention that is optional. If you are hand-flying and the nose is heavy you trim up. If one of several systems trims it back down again you trim it up again. After a couple of these cycles you'll realise that the trim is running away and complete the runaway stabilizer procedure. You don't sit there with a nose-heavy, and getting heavier, airplane and say, "the AoA looks high so the nose really does need to go down". You judge the aircraft's trim by whether the pitch is staying where you need it or if it is taking pressure to keep it there. The AoA indication, if you have it, doesn't help with that.

The Lion Air report isn't final but a good amount of information has been released. Judging by the currently released information, there was nothing wrong with the MCAS system on the accident airplane. The failure was in an AoA vane/sender which fed the MCAS, and other systems, bad data. Every transport jet has similar AoA vanes/senders.

Very little data out on the Ethiopian accident. The flightstats data, which is questionable due to poor coverage in the area, indicates that the flight never reached an altitude where the flaps would normally be retracted (field elevation is 7,657') and the problem started almost immediately. If that holds then this wasn't an MCAS event. The rapid changes in vertical speed almost immediately after liftoff, if correct, might indicate them trying to chase a bad airspeed indication either flying manually or on autoflight. There are three separate airspeed displays and you receive an "IAS DISAGREE" message if they differ by more than 4kts. The problems seem to have started before the flaps would have been retracted or the autopilot would have been engaged.
And now you know why I trust you, but concerned about programming of the airplane. But you are one of a great many pilots in the United States. Still awkward if we are the last hold out.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I thought I would post this part from the Post's article on why China moved first:

“They have had difficulty making a decision, so we took the lead,” CAAC Deputy Director Li Jian told reporters in Beijing, referring to a lack of stronger FAA measures regarding the 737 Max. Li added that the plane’s software may encounter serious problems when coupled with unreliable sensor readings and suggested that this has been happening to Chinese pilots.“These kinds of situations have already happened many times,” Li said without giving more details, according to state media. China will resume 737 Max flights after it has received sufficient safety guarantees from Boeing, he added, but there was a risk now that Chinese pilots “didn’t dare to fly, and weren’t able to fly” the plane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5b2ad1f14174 This suggests a systemic problem. Unless CAAC is lying, this is a big problem. And I might add that at this point I have little faith in Boeing and even less in a politicized FAA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I was going to start a thread but may as well ask the question here: does this other incident with Ethiopian give anyone here pause around flying the MAX series or think it will impact UA’s large order book?
Of course it does. Two incidents like this in such a short time, especially on a new aircraft, should give anyone pause. Pause, however, does not have to mean panic. The thing that greatly disturbs me so far is that Boeing's latest flight control software appears to override the pilots in certain circumstances and it sounds like that isn't limited to the -8. One of the reasons I have a distinct preference for flying on Boeing aircraft over Airbus is that I understood traditionally, Boeing built aircraft for pilots -- that is to say the autopilot and flight control software was designed to assist rather than override the pilot -- while Airbus designed their planes for the pilots to assist the autopilot/flight control software. I may have that information wrong but I detest the latter philosophy and want my aircraft commanded by pilots, not software.

Having said that, I would like the aircraft safety professionals to have a chance to dig in and obtain facts before I panic -- and hope others will do as well. If anything, I expect the increased attention over this will make pilots particularly attentive on the 737MAX going forward.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Realunited
Not trying to argue here but this claim is absurdly inaccurate about no accidents "These "third world countries" and "third rate airlines" and "poorly trained crews" have been flying 737 NGs and A320s for the past decades without any significant accidents"
Point 2 about not having time to react is also wrong and any pilot anywhere knows how to react instantly to an uncommanded pitch down (assuming that's even involved in the Ethiopian crash)
Point 3 is true that bad input data can happen but Lion air knew they had a problem with the sensor and did nothing.

Let me add why a 200hr first officer makes a difference. At least in the US, first officers must have at least 1500 hrs and a type rating in the aircraft which means they have been trained and tested (maneuvers and systems knowledge) to the same standards as a captain so their knowledge and skills are invaluable in an emergency situation. Some situations need 2 fully knowledgeable brains to lead to a successful outcome and 200hrs total time is slightly better than a passenger from 32F coming up to offer advise.
Maybe I was only guessing but I was under the impression the ET FO had 200 hrs flying for ET, not 200 total hours flying. Has anyone said they think the FO was flying the aircraft?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Reading through the news reports and various posts in this thread, it struck me this tragic accident may be the result of two things going wrong:

1) Engine failure on or right after takeoff.
2) Automated flight control systems reacting improperly to the event.

Aircraft are designed to take off on one engine once past critical runway speed so that's nothing new. However, has this new flight control system ever kicked in on an actual flight where this occurred? Certainly Boeing tested this at some point but they may never have done this from an airport at 7,000+ feet.
I am no expert by any means, but this is exactly what I have been thinking based on info so far. With multiple reports of debris coming from the plane before the crash, and the tracking data that shows the planes air speed and altitude shifting up and down at time intervals that roughly match MCAS interactions, it makes me think something bad happened which was made worse by the MCAS.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Maybe I was only guessing but I was under the impression the ET FO had 200 hrs flying for ET, not 200 total hours flying. Has anyone said they think the FO was flying the aircraft?
No one is saying that the FO was flying the aircraft, but it usually takes the teamwork of both pilots to successfully navigate an emergency situation. I don't think anyone is denigrating the pilots in this situation, just pointing out that the it would have been better to have both pilots "seasoned", which might have led to a different outcome regardless if the airplanes control systems were a contributing cause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.