Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The MAX is a 737. The 767 is an entirely different class of aircraft. They're not related at all. UA's MAX fleet is identified as "Boeing 737 MAX 9" on the flight status information page and in search results.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Welcome to FT @Cappa The 767 is a different aircraft to the 737.

The 737MAX is a revamped version of the 737. I personally do not have concerns with either the 767 or 737. My concern is with the 737MAX-8
thank you both, Ive been long time lurker to the forum. The anxiety in me made me finally register haha
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BB2220
Ground them why? You don’t know what you’re grounding them for. With the 787 you knew what the issue was. With lion air the issue was poor maintenance practices and poor aviating. You don’t yet know what caused this accident. So I’ll ask again. Why are you grounding them?
The reason to ground them is because it has established beyond a reasonable doubt that it is not, by modern standards, a safe aircraft. The MAX has less than 300 aircraft-years of operation to date. If it had the same safety level as the 737NG and A320ceo/neo, the chance of losing two of them in 100% fatal hull losses during that period would be less than 1 in 1,000. For context, the DC-10 -- an aircraft widely regarded to have suffered serious safety flaws in the initial design -- still made it over 1,600 aircraft-years of operation before its second 100% fatal hull loss. There is almost certainly something wrong with the MAX.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
How many of you who are saying "no problem" are aware of the actual airworthiness issue here? Namely that the MAX employs a new flight control system (MCAS), necessitated by the engine placement with the stretched 737 frame, which automatically pushes the nose downwards in certain circumstances, without pilot involvement. And that Boeing was able to talk the FAA into allowing an exception to the normal rule which would have required pilot training before they could qualify to fly the new aircraft.

It is strongly suspected that the MCAS system, combined with a faulty indicator, caused the Lion Air crash. The circumstances surrounding the ET crash suggest the same system may have been involved in that one as well. In short, there is ample reason to have concerns about this aircraft, particularly when flown by airlines that do not have the rigorous safety and training culture of carriers such as UA.
If there was an issue with MCAS the pilot can disengage the system and have full authority. It’s not much different than a runaway stab, which isn’t stopping you from stepping on any other aircraft. On the 737 all that’s required is a flip of a switch located on the throttle quadrant. You can manually move the stab with the wheel but there won’t be any electrical inputs.

If you’re worried about the MAX because of the lack of training at certain airlines, you should be worried about flying all of the types they operate. If they are lacking on procedure about how to safely operate 737 they are probably lacking in procedures for everything else.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

2 crashes on a new type of airplane, rightfully gives everyone some pause. No new aircraft should fall, but now we have 2 that have gone straight down.

My wife told me in the morning about the crash, my first question was it a 737 MAX.

I for one am staying away until Boeing gets the issue fixed. No one part, should bring down a modern aircrafy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2019 at 9:29 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted content
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
The reason to ground them is because it has established beyond a reasonable doubt that it is not, by modern standards, a safe aircraft. The MAX has less than 300 aircraft-years of operation to date. If it had the same safety level as the 737NG and A320ceo/neo, the chance of losing two of them in 100% fatal hull losses during that period would be less than 1 in 1,000. For context, the DC-10 -- an aircraft widely regarded to have suffered serious safety flaws in the initial design -- still made it over 1,600 aircraft-years of operation before its second 100% fatal hull loss. There is almost certainly something wrong with the MAX.
Ok. Then what. How do you make it safe? What about it specifically isn’t safe. Do you just never fly the airplane again? The first plane crashed not because it wasn’t safe, it crashed because the airline operating it is incompetent. You don’t know why the second one crashed. They could have had a fire onboard, a contaminated hydraulic system, there’s myriad of things that could have happened. So if you ground it what purpose are you accomplishing?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
How many of you who are saying "no problem" are aware of the actual airworthiness issue here? Namely that the MAX employs a new flight control system (MCAS), necessitated by the engine placement with the stretched 737 frame, which automatically pushes the nose downwards in certain circumstances, without pilot involvement. And that Boeing was able to talk the FAA into allowing an exception to the normal rule which would have required pilot training before they could qualify to fly the new aircraft.

It is strongly suspected that the MCAS system, combined with a faulty indicator, caused the Lion Air crash. The circumstances surrounding the ET crash suggest the same system may have been involved in that one as well. In short, there is ample reason to have concerns about this aircraft, particularly when flown by airlines that do not have the rigorous safety and training culture of carriers such as UA.
There are a few things to clarify because the JT610 crash is a lot more complex than just MCAS on its face.
  1. JT610 was dispatched not airworthy to fly as found in the preliminary investigation report. This was due to faulty replacement of the AOA sensor which fed erroneous data to the FMC which lead to the series of control events necessitating the MCAS inputs. MCAS was not certified on an non-airworthy configuration from what I could tell.
  2. MCAS inputs occur under manual flying when the aircraft enters a low energy state, commanding a nose down movement. MCAS inputs because the aircraft was hand flown into a near stall situation. If it didn't, the aircraft would have stalled.
So the JT610 crash would be avoided if the plane's AOA sensor was properly repaired and confirmed, but that is not how it worked. And then you have the pilots putting the aircraft in low energy situations, which could possibly be experience related. This is all something that the investigation will/is likely exploring. Sure, MCAS is part of that, but why was it called on to begin with? That is the real question and could be the probable cause(s) of the accident.

The ET crash is already deviating some from this, there is a low hour FO (200 hrs), reported trouble with control on take-off (MCAS is not engaged until after flaps are up), and faulty airspeed is indicated (although not confirmed) which is different (although could be similar) than faulty AOA sensor.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K

2 crashes on a new type of airplane, rightfully gives everyone some pause. No new aircraft should fall, but now we have 2 that have gone straight down.

My wife told me in the morning about the crash, my first question was it a 737 MAX.

I for one am staying away until Boeing gets the issue fixed. No one part, should bring down a modern aircrafy.
I agree completely, two short interval crashes on a variant that has been around forever concern me
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
https://onemileatatime.com/china-grounds-737-max/

China just grounded the plane.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by prestonh
no, correlation is just a goodness of fit statistic or how variables move together in a covariate matrix. it is the test of the null hypothesis where causation is determined.
The existence of a correlation implies that there *might* be a causal effect ("implies" is not a scientific term) and hence suggests further examination or experimentation. And if you are referring to p-values as a test of the null hypothesis, these also do not determine causation, but rather give you the probability of a more extreme result given the data and hypothesis.

My point is not to nit-pick, my point is that two accidents within a short period of time, while they do not prove that a causal effect exists, certainly *imply* that there could be a problem and that it must be looked at.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by UAL250
Causal?

​​​​​​There's a trade war going on...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
The 737 MAX 8, specifically, is not flown by United at this time. UA flies the 737 MAX 9.

Because nobody knows if there's a systemic flaw, there's no way to know if it's limited to the 737 MAX 8 or if the MAX 9 would also be affected. The aircraft avionics are mostly the same; the MAX 9 is a lengthened version of the MAX 8, just as the 737-900 is a lengthened version of the 737-800.

But again, I'd caution everyone against speculation in the absence of evidence. That said, for anyone who will worry anyway: UA currently has 14 737 MAX 9 aircraft in their fleet. They have about 140 737-900s, and about 100 other 737s (-800 and -700).
Is the engine on the MAX-8 further forward on the plane in comparison to the MAX-9 and MAX-10?

UA has the MAX-9 and orders for the MAX-9 and MAX-10. I again state I am no aviation expert but the forward location of the engine on the MAX is causing the instability and the need for the software information, as my layman brain understands it.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UAL250
Originally Posted by onthesam
Causal?

​​​​​​There's a trade war going on...
Is it all MAX A/C or just the -8? The article does not state this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

I’m a pilot and A&P and schooled in aircraft accident investigation. I ageee with everything you’ve just said and even the way you’ve stated it. Kudos.

Following the existing protocol for runaway trim will solve any MCAS issues without even understanding how and why it was added to the airframes on Max AC. For whatever reason and we can speculate, these accidents are happening in Africa and Malaysia where pilot training is simply not as good as it can be. Over on airliners.net there’s even analysis of graphic periodicy which aligns with the 10 second MCAS program intervention followed by pilot action.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Is it all MAX A/C or just the -8? The article does not state this.
China has asked its domestic airlines to ground Boeing 737 Max as per Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...x-caijing-says
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cappa
so how to tell if your flight is the max? I have a flight from MAD to EWR this week and I already suffer from high anxiety..... and now this. It says Boeing 767-300
Not to make you anxious but a 767-300 fell out of the sky on approach to Houston a week ago (cargo version).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.