Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bhunt
If I remember right. Didn't TWA manage ET till they went out of business.
according to Wikipedia, until 1971.

”In 1970, the fifth renewal of the original 1945 contract changed TWA's role from manager to adviser. On its 25th anniversary in 1971, the company was ready to continue without foreign assistance. Since then, Ethiopian Airlines has been managed and staffed by Ethiopian personnel.”

The advisory role apparently ended by 1975-ish.

”In 1975, the carrier ordered five Dash 7s. By then, Ethiopian Airlines had ended its 30-year relationship with TWA.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
JT610 was less than five (5) months ago, no final reports or opinions have been released. There have been some interim findings, on which action has been taken (e.g., training related to the MCAS), but the entire investigation needs 12-18 months, at minimum, to play out.

Do you have reason to believe it hasn't?

I asked because you're the more knowledgeable one. What I know is over 300 people have died on a very new aircraft. I can't imagine people will keep saying "let the process play out" if another one falls out the sky this month. Of course that's not a grim prediction of that happening.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I asked because you're the more knowledgeable one. What I know is over 300 people have died on a very new aircraft. I can't imagine people will keep saying "let the process play out" if another one falls out the sky this month. Of course that's not a grim prediction of that happening.
Why should we wait until a third one falls out of the sky? Two hull losses are enough.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
Is AA/UA/WN going to dispatch a frame with a known faulty AOA sensor from the previous flight without a certification flight?
They won’t dispatch without a verifiable fix. With lion air it was a classic case of shotgunning. Add a poorly trained flight crew and disaster happened. As for why this plane went down who knows. There are literally hundreds of things that could have happened in the right combination to cause a crash. One thing is certain though, jumping to conclusions isn’t helping anyone. It’s like me saying that I saw a brand new Toyota wrecked on the side of the highway the other day. Don’t know why it wrecked but I’m going to be avoiding them from now on. Sound reasonable?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by rockrich
Why should we wait until a third one falls out of the sky? Two hull losses are enough.
Ground them why? You don’t know what you’re grounding them for. With the 787 you knew what the issue was. With lion air the issue was poor maintenance practices and poor aviating. You don’t yet know what caused this accident. So I’ll ask again. Why are you grounding them?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How many of you who are saying "no problem" are aware of the actual airworthiness issue here? Namely that the MAX employs a new flight control system (MCAS), necessitated by the engine placement with the stretched 737 frame, which automatically pushes the nose downwards in certain circumstances, without pilot involvement. And that Boeing was able to talk the FAA into allowing an exception to the normal rule which would have required pilot training before they could qualify to fly the new aircraft.

It is strongly suspected that the MCAS system, combined with a faulty indicator, caused the Lion Air crash. The circumstances surrounding the ET crash suggest the same system may have been involved in that one as well. In short, there is ample reason to have concerns about this aircraft, particularly when flown by airlines that do not have the rigorous safety and training culture of carriers such as UA.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am risk averse. However, what I do know is that there is usually a judgement call when dealing with recalls: cost vs benefit. Cost of payouts vs cost of grounding. It is all about the money.

With that said I am happy to defer to the wisdom of experts who understand aviation. I am not one of them but two deadly crashes of the same new aircraft type in less than six months gives me pause about catching the 737MAX-8. ET has a good safety and maintenance record. Many put the Lionair incident down to poor maintenance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2019 at 9:28 pm Reason: remove quote of deleted content
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid question: if this happens when the plane is still very close to the ground, does it give the pilots enough time to run through the checklist to "flip off the stabilizer cutout switches, in keeping with the emergency checklist "? Or, the checklist is in their mind and they can do this very quickly?

I was really afraid of the 737 since they had the US Air PIT crash and UA COS crash not too far apart in the 90s. Like any problem, until the root cause is known and a solution is figured out, it is kind of scary.

If Boeing and the FAA are proven to have improperly handled the certification/training process, I hope there will be some accountability. Of course, if this WAS the problem, then how do we trust the investigations will turn up the truth?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Yes, depending on what "modern times" are. In fact, it was not uncommon for new planes to experience teething problems, and there have numerous incidents that raised red flags...in some cases, ending the lifespan of the subject AC (eg, DeHavilland Comet.) In other cases--DC-10s, for example-- fatal mistakes were corrected and the AC served for decades.
Originally Posted by EWR764
Yes. In pretty much every era of commercial aviation, too. The SSJ-100, A320, 727, 707, de Havilland Comet and others all had, for various reasons, multiple hull-loss and fatal accidents within relatively short periods of their initial service entry. Others, like the Electra, DC-10 and 737, had clusters of nearly-identical incidents (owing to design defects) later in their respective service lives. Even the 787 had well-publicized design issues that led to several significant incidents, fortunately with no loss of life.
The fact that it seems to be a highly unusual occurrence in this era is a fantastic development and a testament to how far the industry has advanced in terms of safety and technological progress.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not to be pedantic, but the first 737 MAX 8 was delivered on May 22, 2017. There were actually no crashes within a year of the new model release.
Great points everyone. So let me rephrase: Has any airframe currently in commercial use had 2 crashes with 100% loss of life within first 2 years of service? There might be, but my research has not shown any yet. And since all that is relevant to someone who is flying TODAY are airframes that are being flown commercially TODAY, this is a relevant question. And while there is no evidence that the 2 crashes are related, I think this question is worth asking. .
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
How many of you who are saying "no problem" are aware of the actual airworthiness issue here? Namely that the MAX employs a new flight control system (MCAS), necessitated by the engine placement with the stretched 737 frame, which automatically pushes the nose downwards in certain circumstances, without pilot involvement. And that Boeing was able to talk the FAA into allowing an exception to the normal rule which would have required pilot training before they could qualify to fly the new aircraft.

It is strongly suspected that the MCAS system, combined with a faulty indicator, caused the Lion Air crash. The circumstances surrounding the ET crash suggest the same system may have been involved in that one as well. In short, there is ample reason to have concerns about this aircraft, particularly when flown by airlines that do not have the rigorous safety and training culture of carriers such as UA.
MCAS is not a new "flight control system", per se, as the 737MAX retains essentially the same hydraulic flight control system as every 737 that preceded it, which is why the MAX has the same type rating as every other 737 that's ever flown and only requires some differences training for existing 737 pilots to legally fly it. That's why the FAA ultimately agreed with Boeing and determined that the MCAS did not comprise such a substantial deviation from the flying characteristics of the 737 that would require a new type certification.

The news media briefly (and irresponsibly, I might add) pushed a sensationalist story of some all-new "rogue" system that Boeing secretly installed on the 737MAX flying the aircraft into a dive despite the best efforts of the pilots.

Indeed, for better or worse, it's the pilots that have the final say in control inputs, as compared to FBW aircraft like the 777, 787 or the post-A320 Airbus line. Given that, it is important to understand that MCAS is a safeguard designed to assist pilots in stall avoidance during a limited set of circumstances, namely:

- high angle of attack;
- clean configuration with flaps retracted;
- high bank angle; and
- autopilot disengaged.

If those conditions are not met, the MCAS is inactive. Even in the event of an unwanted MCAS activation, it can be disengaged momentarily or cut out completely. If it engages in the normal course of operations, without an instrumentation failure (which is now expected to be the root cause of the Lion Air crash), it is to get the airplane out of a critical AOA situation where an aerodynamic stall can be induced. The issue is that the Lion Air 7M8 'thought' it was approaching a stall, and engaged the MCAS to push down the nose to correct the condition. Unfortunately, it appears as though the pilots weren't prepared to manage this situation, and a combination of factors led to the crash... not unlike AF447.

Still, an instrumentation failure, or a flight control failure (such as pitch trim runaway) are not unique to the 737MAX and procedures have long existed for crews to follow in order to rectify the condition. Human factors can and will interfere with a crew's diagnosis and management of these situations, especially in critical phases of flight, and the combination leads to accidents. Again, nothing new here: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...h-trim-runaway

This brings us to the Ethiopian crash today and the calls for the fleet to be grounded or actively avoided. The fact is that it is impossible to make any sort of meaningful determination as to cause in the hours which immediately follow a crash. A few years ago, before it became apparent that MH17 was shot down, there were knee-jerk calls for the grounding of the 777 fleet, and more commonly, of Malaysia Airlines, because of the close proximity in time to the MH370 incident. The correlation is disturbing, but not necessarily something that demands jumping to conclusions.

Originally Posted by blueman2
Great points everyone. So let me rephrase: Has any airframe currently in commercial use had 2 crashes with 100% loss of life within first 2 years of service? There might be, but my research has not shown any yet. And since all that is relevant to someone who is flying TODAY are airframes that are being flown commercially TODAY, this is a relevant question. And while there is no evidence that the 2 crashes are related, I think this question is worth asking. .
We can keep chipping away at the criteria to fit the facts... a grounding is by all means something that will be considered, provided some evidence of a systemic flaw is identified. I'd argue that the Lion Air crash has not yet presented evidence of a *design flaw*. Until then, such discussion would be premature.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 10, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:17 pm

The MCAS doesn’t come into play of flaps are extended.

We don’t know the situation here.

Whats odd is the data shows little altitude change.

Ground level there is around 7500 feet and the ADS data shows it flew the whole time around 8000 feet plus or minus a few hundred feet.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...es-flight-302/

Thats only around 1,000 or so feet above the ground.

You’d think witnesses would talk of a plane flying really low to the ground for a few miles more than usual.

ADS data has plenty of limitations but doesn’t look like this aircraft was doing big altitude rises and dives like Lionair.

Odd all all around but the UA crash in COS was only from 1,000 feet - 285 knots - and it also pulverized on impact so you don’t need to be 5 or 10,000 feet up to have the crash site seen here.

Originally Posted by username
Stupid question: if this happens when the plane is still very close to the ground, does it give the pilots enough time to run through the checklist to "flip off the stabilizer cutout switches, in keeping with the emergency checklist "? Or, the checklist is in their mind and they can do this very quickly?

I was really afraid of the 737 since they had the US Air PIT crash and UA COS crash not too far apart in the 90s. Like any problem, until the root cause is known and a solution is figured out, it is kind of scary.

If Boeing and the FAA are proven to have improperly handled the certification/training process, I hope there will be some accountability. Of course, if this WAS the problem, then how do we trust the investigations will turn up the truth?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:22 pm

so how to tell if your flight is the max? I have a flight from MAD to EWR this week and I already suffer from high anxiety..... and now this. It says Boeing 767-300
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cappa
so how to tell if your flight is the max? I have a flight from MAD to EWR this week and I already suffer from high anxiety..... and now this. It says Boeing 767-300
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The MAX is a 737. The 767 is an entirely different class of aircraft. They're not related at all. UA's MAX fleet is identified as "Boeing 737 MAX 9" on the flight status information page and in search results.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Cappa
Welcome to FT @Cappa The 767 is a different aircraft to the 737.

The 737MAX is a revamped version of the 737. I personally do not have concerns with either the 767 or 737. My concern is with the 737MAX-8
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My concern is with the 737MAX-8
The 737 MAX 8, specifically, is not flown by United at this time. UA flies the 737 MAX 9.

Because nobody knows if there's a systemic flaw, there's no way to know if it's limited to the 737 MAX 8 or if the MAX 9 would also be affected. The aircraft avionics are mostly the same; the MAX 9 is a lengthened version of the MAX 8, just as the 737-900 is a lengthened version of the 737-800.

But again, I'd caution everyone against speculation in the absence of evidence. That said, for anyone who will worry anyway: UA currently has 14 737 MAX 9 aircraft in their fleet. They have about 140 737-900s, and about 100 other 737s (-800 and -700).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.