Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by prestonh
Is AA/UA/WN going to dispatch a frame with a known faulty AOA sensor from the previous flight without a certification flight?
Of course not now. But that’s not what the argument was. The argument was that pilots are “well aware”. They weren’t prior to crash #1. Presumably Ethiopian’s pilots are also “now” “well aware” of the issue. But that didn’t stop this one from crashing if it involves the same flaw.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
US-based pilots are well aware of the issues that lead to the crash of the earlier 737 Max, and have been trained appropriately. It's not just our lives at stake; it's their own too. I regularly train (ride bicycles) with an AA pilot and he's definitely on top of this stuff. I have no issue whatsoever flying a mainline legacy carrier aircraft of any type. I have flown Ethiopian Air, actually the exact same route as this morning's disaster. Like many (not all!!!) carriers outside the US, there is a sense of "fly casual." Flying in the US is extremely safe. Flying elsewhere is likely much safer than any other way to get around (although I might have some misgivings about a few South American carriers; that plane in Peru that burned to the ground a couple years ago... I was on that airline, at that location, just a couple weeks prior. It didn't surprise me. Nobody died if I recall correctly).
If I remember right. Didn't TWA manage ET till they went out of business.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I flew a 739MAX OGG-LAX last month. I don't if it's any more prone to crashing (we made it), The United logo placement on the wall you see immediately on boarding was the indicator it was a new aircraft version - I even said "ooh, new plane!" to the FA at the door. It's pretty unique (in placement).
Statistically, at least, it is clearly "more prone to crashing" than other planes. Maybe that's a fluke, but, like how the Concorde went from safest to least safe statistically after just one event, the stats are grim for this plane.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
In your opinion, has that very good and effective process played out in the investigation of and remediation efforts from the Lion Air crash?
JT610 was less than five (5) months ago, no final reports or opinions have been released. There have been some interim findings, on which action has been taken (e.g., training related to the MCAS), but the entire investigation needs 12-18 months, at minimum, to play out.

Do you have reason to believe it hasn't?

Originally Posted by sleuth

Of course not now. But that’s not what the argument was. The argument was that pilots are “well aware”. They weren’t prior to crash #1 . Presumably Ethiopian’s pilots are also “now” “well aware” of the issue. But that didn’t stop this one from crashing if it involves the same flaw.
I think you're conflating a few issues here. A faulty AOA sensor or pitot tube isn't so much a 'flaw' as it is a failed instrument (to the extent 'flaw' suggests something inherent to the design), at least with respect to a potential cause of the JT610 case, and such a failure would be a problem in any aircraft, not just the MAX. It would be a remarkable coincidence if that were implicated in the ET crash, but it certainly cannot be ruled out.

As for the MCAS system, I would argue it's not flawed at all, and in fact is a safeguard. But when the system is functioning as designed after being fed faulty data, and the subsequent human intervention is also incorrect, those are links in the chain of events that end in catastrophe.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 10, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sleuth

Of course not now. But that’s not what the argument was. The argument was that pilots are “well aware”. They weren’t prior to crash #1. Presumably Ethiopian’s pilots are also “now” “well aware” of the issue. But that didn’t stop this one from crashing if it involves the same flaw.
It's a bit of a strawman. in JT610 the airframe should not have been dispatched as it was not airworthy because the faulty AOA sensor was likely not remediated/tested. My question would be if this would occur in the US airlines cited. You stated no, of course not. As such, the scenario as played out in the air in JT610 would likely have not occurred because imho US carriers have much higher maintenance standards/procedures that are followed which contributes to their safety as demonstrated by this scenario.

So you state 'flaw'. Can you state what this flaw is?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BB2220

But why let that silly little detail stop us from mass hysteria?
When 2 new planes using new flight software crash within months of each other, then I hardly call someone questioning the safety of this plane "mass hysteria".

Has this ever happened before in modern times? That 2 brand new planes of a certain new model crashed within a year of the new model release?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by blueman2
When 2 new planes using new flight software crash within months of each other, then I hardly call someone questioning the safety of this plane "mass hysteria".

Has this ever happened before in modern times? That 2 brand new planes of a certain new model crashed within a year of the new model release?
Yes, depending on what "modern times" are. In fact, it was not uncommon for new planes to experience teething problems, and there have numerous incidents that raised red flags...in some cases, ending the lifespan of the subject AC (eg, DeHavilland Comet.) In other cases--DC-10s, for example-- fatal mistakes were corrected and the AC served for decades.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Difference in 737 and 737-Max.

What are the difference, or is there one, in 737 and 737-max planes? How do I know when I look at my booking. I am on a 737-700 from ORD to BUF later today.
Trying to understand what routes UA flies these planes and How to tell
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I am avoiding the plane for now. Twice in just a few months is scary.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
What are the difference, or is there one, in 737 and 737-max planes? How do I know when I look at my booking. I am on a 737-700 from ORD to BUF later today.
There is no 737 MAX 7 (yet). The only 737 MAX UA flies is the 737 MAX 9, which will appear in the flight status as "Boeing 737 MAX 9."

ETA: The 737 MAX 7 is expected to enter service later this year. It hasn't been as popular as the MAX 8 and MAX 9 due to capacity differences.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes. In pretty much every era of commercial aviation, too. The SSJ-100, A320, 727, 707, de Havilland Comet and others all had, for various reasons, multiple hull-loss and fatal accidents within relatively short periods of their initial service entry. Others, like the Electra, DC-10 and 737, had clusters of nearly-identical incidents (owing to design defects) later in their respective service lives. Even the 787 had well-publicized design issues that led to several significant incidents, fortunately with no loss of life.

The fact that it seems to be a highly unusual occurrence in this era is a fantastic development and a testament to how far the industry has advanced in terms of safety and technological progress.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it comes prior to knowing any of the relevant facts, I disagree.

Not to be pedantic, but the first 737 MAX 8 was delivered on May 22, 2017. There were actually no crashes within a year of the new model release.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
There is no 737 MAX 7 (yet). The only 737 MAX UA flies is the 737 MAX 9, which will appear in the flight status as "Boeing 737 MAX 9."

ETA: The 737 MAX 7 is expected to enter service later this year. It hasn't been as popular as the MAX 8 and MAX 9 due to capacity differences.
So if it says 737-700 on my flight for today, that is NOT the same type of plane in question on these flights that crashed?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
You are not on a MAX plane. MAX is the newest gen 737; whereas aircrafts such as 737-700, 737-800, 737-900, 737-900ER perceded the MAX (M8, M9, M10).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I’m avoiding this aircraft! I already hate the 739’s, and avoid them when possible due to headaches after flying in them. It’s extremely hard to avoid, but I do my best. I flew FLL-IAH on a Max and it just felt different. Again, all my only reasons, but I’m avoiding the Max and just switched my Air Canada flight to avoid the Max.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.