Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by EWR764

The issue is improper management of a flight control system designed to counteract an aerodynamic consequence of the engine placement, in a narrowly-defined phase of flight, and the cause of the ET crash is hardly assured.

It’s disturbing, but I have no qualms stepping aboard a UA MAX right now.
Correct. But my understanding is the AoA/trim "issue" is likely the same on any 737 MAX. In other words, the MAX 9 may well have the same issue as the MAX 8. Nevertheless, I too wouldn't have any issues boarding a UA MAX.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Correct. But my understanding is the AoA/trim "issue" is likely the same on any 737 MAX. In other words, the MAX 9 may well have the same issue as the MAX 8. Nevertheless, I too wouldn't have any issues boarding a UA MAX.
Correct. The MCAS is standard on the MAX8/9.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
The cause of the ET crash was already released? That was a fast investigation. Could someone point me to the results please?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by prestonh
The cause of the ET crash was already released? That was a fast investigation. Could someone point me to the results please?
No - the investigation is far frm complete.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
No - the investigation is far frm complete.
But why let that silly little detail stop us from mass hysteria?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BB2220

But why let that silly little detail stop us from mass hysteria?
please point me to the mass hysteria
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

I have intentionally avoided the max since the lionair crash and will continue to do so.
As have I
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does United fly the 737MAX, or have any on order?
Yes, they already orders 100 737-MAX10, 61 737-MAX9.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:12 am

I avoid the anything newer than a 738 if I can.

Different reason - UA and DL have made them the most uncomfortable planes in their fleets for both cabins.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I flew a 739MAX OGG-LAX last month. I don't if it's any more prone to crashing (we made it), The United logo placement on the wall you see immediately on boarding was the indicator it was a new aircraft version - I even said "ooh, new plane!" to the FA at the door. It's pretty unique (in placement).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by EWR764

The issue is improper management of a flight control system designed to counteract an aerodynamic consequence of the engine placement, in a narrowly-defined phase of flight, and the cause of the ET crash is hardly assured.

It’s disturbing, but I have no qualms stepping aboard a UA MAX right now.
correlation does not imply causation
so many things can happen in take-off phase that it is way too early to point to either the aircraft, engines, or crew at this point. Many things are possible, does not mean they are likely.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
US-based pilots are well aware of the issues that lead to the crash of the earlier 737 Max, and have been trained appropriately. It's not just our lives at stake; it's their own too. I regularly train (ride bicycles) with an AA pilot and he's definitely on top of this stuff. I have no issue whatsoever flying a mainline legacy carrier aircraft of any type. I have flown Ethiopian Air, actually the exact same route as this morning's disaster. Like many (not all!!!) carriers outside the US, there is a sense of "fly casual." Flying in the US is extremely safe. Flying elsewhere is likely much safer than any other way to get around (although I might have some misgivings about a few South American carriers; that plane in Peru that burned to the ground a couple years ago... I was on that airline, at that location, just a couple weeks prior. It didn't surprise me. Nobody died if I recall correctly).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

please point me to the mass hysteria
Look around you. It’s starting
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
We should know within 24 hours what the impact of the second crash will have on Wall Street, hysteria notwithstanding. It will be interesting to see how major US carrier-customers of the MAX manage the imminent spin crisis. How many people will really book away from flying on these airplanes?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BB2220

Look around you. It’s starting
I'm not sure that customers choosing to avoid flying on a very new aircraft which has suffered two completely fatal accidents in a short period of time is that hysterical. If people were to say they're never flying again that may be a different story.

I personally will avoid the aircraft, at least for now. That may change in the future, however even though it's too early to tell what happened in this particular case, I personally (and I think many other people) would like to have a bit more information before voluntarily stepping on to one of these planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.