Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

B737MAX-Cleared by FAA to resume passenger flights;UA MAX flights resumed 11 Feb 2020

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Now that UA MAX flights have resumed, see UA statement at All about the Boeing 737 MAX: Safety, status and more
If you do not wish to fly on a MAX aircraft, we will rebook you at no charge or refund your ticket. This includes domestic ticket changes, Basic Economy tickets and international tickets if you move from one of our MAX flights to one of our non-MAX United or United Express flights. If your original itinerary involved another carrier, we will attempt to rebook you on your original airline on a non-MAX flight as well.

When we begin to fly the MAX once again, you should feel completely confident that we have taken all the necessary steps to confirm that our 737 MAX aircraft are as safe as any of our aircraft flying today. Safety has been and always will be our top priority, and it’s something we will never compromise for any reason.
We will waive any applicable change fees or difference in fare if your rebooked flight:
  • Has the same origin and destination as your original flight
  • Is in your originally ticketed cabin (any booking code)
  • Is rescheduled for the same day or one day earlier or later than your original travel date
  • Is a United or United Express flight only
If your original itinerary involves another carrier, we will rebook you on your original airline, and your ticket must be rebooked in the same booking code on the same routing.

If you don’t meet these conditions but still want to rebook, you may use the value of your ticket to rebook on another flight without a change fee, but a fare difference may apply based on the fare rules of the ticket.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
================================================== ========

The first B737 MAX, an enhanced version of the B737 family, started service in May 2016, a MAX 8. MAX 9 entered service March 2018. (UA service start date??)
The MAX series was ground in March 2019 after two incidents involve the MCAS; Lion Air Flight 610 - Wikipedia and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 - Wikipedia

United did not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it had operated the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) were grounded. Boeing in conjunction with FAA, EASA, Transport Canada and other national air safety organizations entered into a cause investigation, into the MCAS operation, into if sufficient training had been provided and into if the original certification process had been sufficient rigid.
Preliminary Summary of the FAA’s Review of the Boeing 737 MAX (PDF).

The FAA (18 Nov 2020), EASA (24 Nov 2020) and Transport Canada (17 Dec 2020) have re-certified the MAX 8 & MAX 9 for commercial flight
Boeing 737 MAX certification - Wikipedia

AA resumed use of MAX8 on 29 Dec 2020
UA plans to resumes service of the MAX9 in Feb 2020 (from IAH and DEN)

Airlines have resumed taking deliveries of the MAX 8 & 9

================
How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

B737MAX Recertification - Archive
Print Wikipost

B737MAX-Cleared by FAA to resume passenger flights;UA MAX flights resumed 11 Feb 2020

Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
I guarantee pilots are fully comfortable flying whatever airplane they’re operating.
Really? Then why this... “The airline’s pilots union urged Boeing officials to make a fix to the planes during a Nov. 27 meeting at the union’s headquarters, less than a month after a 737 Max 8 crashed off the coast of Indonesia”. https://time.com/5589547/pilots-boeing-737-max-safety/ Didn’t sound fully comfortable to me.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djmp
Really? Then why this...
Putting aside the difference between the union and the pilots who comprise the union, a meeting in 2018 has no bearing on how pilots feel in 2021.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Putting aside the difference between the union and the pilots who comprise the union, a meeting in 2018 has no bearing on how pilots feel in 2021.
I'm pretty sure any pilot who gets on a MAX plane today thinks they have it covered, considering all the work/reviews/training that has gone on in last two years.
SPN Lifer, djmp, Xyzzy and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm pretty sure any pilot who gets on a MAX plane today thinks they have it covered, considering all the work/reviews/training that has gone on in last two years.
Sure hope so... I’m on one tomorrow ORD-IAH. Was switched to this flight after my original flight cancelled due to weather (2 days in advance). Booking agent asked if I was ok flying the Max before rebooking...
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce
Sure hope so... I’m on one tomorrow ORD-IAH. Was switched to this flight after my original flight cancelled due to weather (2 days in advance). Booking agent asked if I was ok flying the Max before rebooking...
You will be fine. The software that contributed to (or caused, depending on your point of view) the two crashes has been eliminated. Pilots spent hours in Simulator. The biggest danger you will face tomorrow will to trip to / from the airport; much more dangerous statistically than you MAX flight
SPN Lifer, djmp, st3 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You will be fine. The software that contributed to (or caused, depending on your point of view) the two crashes has been eliminated. Pilots spent hours in Simulator. The biggest danger you will face tomorrow will to trip to / from the airport; much more dangerous statistically than you MAX flight
I wasn’t concerned with flying the Max... but as it turns out the flight cancelled due to weather, so I’m now on my 4th iteration of this reservation, now connecting onto a 757 tomorrow morning instead. Also denied my first opportunity to fly the 550 into ORD, but c’est la vie!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I know the issue with the AA 737MAX yesterday was reportedly not associated with the MCAS but surprised no one on the UA forum seemed concerned.

I had hoped to book some trips on United but the 737 MAX9 came up as the scheduled aircraft so did not book the trips. In looking at alternatives it looks like the MAX has been removed from the schedule for some of the flights I was looking at. If I were confident they would not put them back in the schedule for the flights I would happily book the flights but I am reading on this thread about schedule changes (and I understand that with the reduced passenger traffic) and I know United has said you can switch if you do not wish to fly the MAX but some of us have schedules to keep.

Does anyone know if United will refund if they switch your flight to a MAX or is it only a FFC or ETC?

[It is making Delta look more attractive for flights (for me) since they do not have the MAX in their fleet.]
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I know the issue with the AA 737MAX yesterday was reportedly not associated with the MCAS but surprised no one on the UA forum seemed concerned.
It was an engine issue. Not only did it have nothing to do with the MCAS, it had nothing to do with Boeing.
Xyzzy, artvandalay, TWA884 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
[It is making Delta look more attractive for flights (for me) since they do not have the MAX in their fleet.]
If avoiding travel on the new MAX aircraft is important, why would you book UA ever again?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one contemplating going out of my way to 'try out' the MAX?

I've been trying to see if I can get reroutes through IAH, since that seems to be the main hub, but so far my schedule hasn't worked out for it.

There's now a little advisory if you're making a new booking with a MAX flight.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
For me, it's a total non-issue. I would have had no problem flying the Max before the grounding as long as it was with a U.S. trained and licensed crew. Even less of an issue (if that were possible) now.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
No.

But flying cross border (not by choice) sort of complicates things. Still there was an IAH-SFO option, but in the end opted for nonstop from DFW since I was very short on time. But had I not been pressed for time, would have taken the connection to try my first ride on MAX
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It was an engine issue, just like the 737 NG or A320 ceo/neo have on the regular.

I had hoped to book some trips on United but the 737 MAX9 came up as the scheduled aircraft so did not book the trips. In looking at alternatives it looks like the MAX has been removed from the schedule for some of the flights I was looking at. If I were confident they would not put them back in the schedule for the flights I would happily book the flights but I am reading on this thread about schedule changes (and I understand that with the reduced passenger traffic) and I know United has said you can switch if you do not wish to fly the MAX but some of us have schedules to keep.

Does anyone know if United will refund if they switch your flight to a MAX or is it only a FFC or ETC?
If it's a MAX flight, on top of the COVID19 change waiver, there's the MAX change waiver for fare differences etc:
If you decide to make a change to your reservation, change fees and any difference in ticket price will be waived if the change you make follows these guidelines:
  • Your new travel date is not more than 1 day before or 1 day after the original date
  • Your origin and destination airports remain the same
  • Your new ticket is in the same cabin as the original ticket
  • Your new flight is operated by United or United Express
  • Your new flight is not on one of the following aircraft type(s): BOEING 737 MAX 9
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
For me, it's a total non-issue. I would have had no problem flying the Max before the grounding as long as it was with a U.S. trained and licensed crew. Even less of an issue (if that were possible) now.
Well, I suppose that's my thinking too. I am not concerned about the safety any more than generally for air travel, and I always like trying an aircraft I haven't flown before. Just wondering if there's anyone else with an itch to scratch here.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have never flown the Max with UA, but I have flown it with other operators.

I could take the non-stop home from DFW (to EWR), or catch a short hop to IAH and get the Max there: I would spend an additional $9, but I would get 1 extra PQF, more lifetime, including min. 500 between DFW and IAH, and get home earlier, since there are no nonstop from DFW to EWR in the morning on the day I am looking at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.