Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show your favorite UA amenity kit bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by onthesam
That clamshell design is awful, IMO. Useless.

Loved the leather BF and even larger GF kits:

Global First leather kit significantly larger.

Lots of pockets and mesh for storage inside.
I have a bunch of those lying around. They are decent. I like the Saks branded white and black nylon zipper bags. Black was for business, white for first. (Or vice versa.) Gave them out right when Polaris started, I believe. They are super useful to carry knick knacks.

The worst ones are the metal tins. Those are terrible.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I fly with one of the half-size brown leather ones from p.s. J a number of years back. It's classy, durable, and I only carry a couple of eyemasks and earplugs, plus whatever originally came in it.
I use this one for my computer charger, phone charger, and three-prong adapter / splitter. It's the perfect size for those, and I'm pleasantly surprised by its durability, going on three years now.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
I got some sort of blue tin travelling SYD-LAX in J but think I left it in an Air bnb.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I use the mesh bag, mshalls120 has one of golf-themed drawstring bags she uses on every trip.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
For some reason (probably just fortunate timing), the UA / PGA Tour shoe bags from ~2016 became the home of my travel gym kit, and thus have circled the globe with me many times since....
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The UA Mesh bag is a winner

Small, no extra bulk and fits in my laptop slim case next to my laptop. Carry essentials for the flight like power, earphones, small meds,etc. My essentials bag for my normal seat - a bulkhead where storing a bag in front of you isn't allowed.
halls120 and chavala like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
United, please don’t get cute with any metal based amenity kit ideas in the future. They are useless and traveler unfriendly.
narvik and chavala like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I also like the mesh bags and use many for a variety of purposes, but this one has a special place in my heart:

airoli and UA_Flyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Small, no extra bulk and fits in my laptop slim case next to my laptop. Carry essentials for the flight like power, earphones, small meds,etc. My essentials bag for my normal seat - a bulkhead where storing a bag in front of you isn't allowed.
I had no idea this was UA’s — what year was it from?
This is the perfect scuba/beach bag for all those little items that get wet. Years of saltwater and it’s still like new.

Last edited by chavala; Nov 8, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

That mesh one is perfect for cables and traveling. I think any of the simple zip pouch style bags (that can actually hold something) would be far more useful than the tins. The tins are the antithesis of the Eco-Skies program they like to tout. How does one even fit them in their travel bags/luggage afterwards? This style is what I use to carry cables and such around with me. Sturdy and pretty tough material for traveling. They came in slightly different colors: some one color some two toned, but all in shades of gray-green.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
I had no idea where this was UA’s — what year was it from?
This is the perfect scuba/beach bag for all those little items that get wet. Years of saltwater and it’s still like new.
2009-2011 approx. I have these with both the tulip and globe logos. My wife and daughters took most of them for various things. Very useful size and not bulky.

My go to however is still the zero weight drawstring bags of 2007-2009 or thereabouts (PMUA).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

I think the metal ones are the most iseful. I store all sorts of stuff in them, and I use one as a pencil/pen/ highlighter holder on my desk. The fabric or leather ones are occasionally ok but they normally just go in to a drawer or in a box.

Last edited by Meola10; Nov 10, 2019 at 6:52 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:50 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I only carry on a laptop bag, and check any other luggage. So I use:

A. For cables, connectors, plugs, etc not needed inflight. It's too bulky for my laptop bag, so it goes in checked bag.

B. For cables, connectors, plugs, etc to be used inflight. It's pretty flat, it has two compartments, one of which is mesh to see what's in it.

C. For toiletries for quick overnight trips. It can be hung on a hook on the bathroom door. Easy to grab and go.

D. It's a flat light nylon tote bag with draw string. It collapses down to nearly nothing, so I carry it in my laptop bag for any things I acquire during the trip, like another nice amenity kit. Easy to carry when full, even with laptop bag.
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: United Gold
For those of you That suggest the tins are useful, they are useful perhaps for storing stuff at home, but not so useful in terms of re-connecting through TSA after a long flight. I had six of them cause me to get pulled aside for additional screening and rescreening of my carryon bag.

And in the cases when I had tried to not open the kit and keep it in a sealed plastic bag .. that made them want to open it even more.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Yes to the mesh bags!!! I use it as a wallet. Wore the first one out, currently on my second, and have a third still sealed & ready.

My other favorite is the larger rectangular bag with a mesh side (mid to late 2000s?). Three-sided zipper, two internal pockets, one external pocket, and one side see-through mesh. It's perfect for all my makeup and personal amenities, is sized and shaped so it fits well in my carry-ons, compresses when needed.

I only got one of these and loved it so much I would wash it to try to extend its lifespan, but it got so ratty I finally had to retire it. On a recent trip, a colleague had one and we discussed how great they are... The next time I saw her she gave me an extra one she had! (Pictured here with the recent Sunday Riley creams which are the best ones they've had in ages IMO)

I do love the 747 tins but for sentimental reasons as a desk accessory, not as a travel kit.

My two faves of all time

Reverse of the rectangular bag
RockinRon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.