Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show your favorite UA amenity kit bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Show your favorite UA amenity kit bag

I really wish airlines would put a little more thought into creating amenity kit bags that have more usefulness after the flight. So many bags just end up in the trash, or a junk drawer, or just left on the plane and presumably trashed. Over the years, and hundreds of amenity kits, I can only recall a few that I've kept and used regularly, among them a Braun Buffel one from LH first that's my regular toiletries kit now, a shoe bag from AA, a shoe bag from UA, and my favorite, a simple mesh bag from UA biz that I now use for the gazillion cables one must now travel with (there was a similar one from ANA too). The simple mesh bag is so useful that on a couple of flights in GF, I asked for it instead of the GF one.

What's your favorite amenity kit bag that you still use?

tuolumne and rattydukes like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, many others
Agree with the usefulness of the mesh bag. One in my backpack right now. Wondering whether there will be a useful container on my NRT flight later today or just more landfill material.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gadfly
Agree with the usefulness of the mesh bag. One in my backpack right now. Wondering whether there will be a useful container on my NRT flight later today or just more landfill material.
Agree as well with the usefulness of the mesh bag ^ as one lives in the glove compartment of my car with charging cords and miscellaneous tools and I have two of the old PMUA non-see thru zippered kits for when I fly with one for holding cords & chargers and the other for holding my "freedom baggie" as if packed correctly, it fits perfectly inside (complete with zippering it closed)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
+1 -- I still use the mesh bags for cords and things when I travel. I use some ANA and Asiana bags for things as well, and the 747 tins are great knickknack holders., but that's it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
+1 for the UA mesh zip bags

we still heavily use the drawstring ones too - zero weight and space toiletry bags.

Both feature the tulip too which never ceases to spark joy (KonMari)

The tins go recycling asap
tuolumne likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:30 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I have more mesh zip bags than I count, used for spare phones, headphones, WD portable hard drives, check book, etc..... with some unused spare ones in case anything happens to any of these. Also the light tan biz bag, used for camera battery charger and adapters, and an old gray real leather United F bag that I can't bear to use for anything!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:59 pm

I have a PS amenity kit that came in a square case that zipped on three sides, like an old fashioned CD binder. That case still travels with me on every flight, with the UA amentities plus a few I added, like Advil.

It’s perfect because it closes tightly, protects the contents, is reusable, but also compresses (the metal tins don’t)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Without question, the United mesh bag of Biz Class in the early 2010’s is the most useful and used amenity bag that I have. I am currently in-flight on UA 1460 EWR-LAX, and I have in my Rimowa Salsa computer case not 1, not 2, but 3 of those mesh bags which are holding cables of all kinds, a flat mouse, iPhone chargers, cigarette adapter chargers, a checkbook, even a spare iPhone!

Of topic, but I also have a prized Rimowa amenity kit from Lufthansa First that houses my Braun shaver, a comb, and nail filers.

All the other United amenity bags and tins are useless, even the latest blue sloping zippered bags, although these do have potential
mmack likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The only amenity bags I regularly use are Lufthansa First Class bags from many years ago. I always found it interesting that they have (or at least had) a "male" version and a "female" version.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Sadly no mesh bags for me, but these two versions I still use regularly for all sorts of things (1st one is the current J version):

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Love the mesh!

Originally Posted by gadfly
The mesh bags are my favorite!! I recycle them by packing a supply kit in each bag: one for me and one for my husband. I still have about four-five.
I wish they would bring those back! So handy
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by narvik
Sadly no mesh bags for me, but these two versions I still use regularly for all sorts of things (1st one is the current J version):

That clamshell design is awful, IMO. Useless.

Loved the leather BF and even larger GF kits:

Global First leather kit significantly larger.

Lots of pockets and mesh for storage inside.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
That clamshell design is awful, IMO. Useless.
I like it because it has decent crush-resistance. Quite an unusual design, so not for everything.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I fly with one of the half-size brown leather ones from p.s. J a number of years back. It's classy, durable, and I only carry a couple of eyemasks and earplugs, plus whatever originally came in it.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The only amenity bags I regularly use are Lufthansa First Class bags from many years ago. I always found it interesting that they have (or at least had) a "male" version and a "female" version.
Quantas had the same thing in Business Class: an ugly greenish color for the female version and a navy blue for the male version with some different products inside. In the mid-90s, my wife had already received the ugly greenish color one, so on her return Quantas flight she asked her neighbor if he did not mind exchanging the bags. It ended up that he was very happy to get a female version to give to his wife. My wife still uses the navy blue one for her toiletries when we travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.